Windows 10 Deactivated after upgrading Motherboard + CPU

The Pizza Thief
Go to solution Solved by DudeWazap,

That is kind of what the guy from microsoft was telling me, to go back to Windows 8.1 and then upgrade to windows 10 using that key with the free upgrade thing. You think that is what I need to do? Am I going to lose any info? I have 4 drives for data and 1 for my OS should I unplug the rest of the drives and just leave my SSD plugged when doing changes to the OS? Thanks!

Unplug everything except your SSD for your OS and do the upgrade process from there.

When I have done this I always got the automated voice key activation and after they give you all the numbers to type in the ask how many times has this been used and I always just say one. That makes it so it activates that one and deactivates that key on the old motherboard.

Hey there, yesterday I finally upgraded my PC to the new Z170 platform. I upgraded from Z97, the new motherboard is the Asus Z170 Deluxe and the CPU is the i7-6700k. After booting up and activating XMP profile for my 3200mhz memory windows is asking me to activate windows, it shows me the last 4 digits of my KEY but it also shows an error. Error code: 0xC004C003 

I tried talking with a microsoft rep through live chat but the guy was an idiot and kept telling me that I needed to start the upgrade process all over again. I was afraid he was going to cancel my windows Key so I just told him I was going to do that. Is there anything I can do to re activate my Windows license ? There is an annoying watermark on the screen now. Thanks!

If you have an OEM license, then replacing the motherboard means it is a different computer (in Microsoft's eyes) and as such the license is no longer valid for your PC. Some people have had some luck activating via telephone in these situations, but generally it involves buying a new license.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

Your key is bound to the motherboard so you do have to reinstall it. as far as I know.

Just reinstall it and use the activation line and say it is the first time use and it should activate.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

If you have an OEM license, then replacing the motherboard means it is a different computer (in Microsoft's eyes) and as such the license is no longer valid for your PC. Some people have had some luck activating via telephone in these situations, but generally it involves buying a new license.

So if I talk to them on the phone and I tell them I only upgraded my CPU or a hard drive but I lie about upgrading my motherboard, will that help ? 

Your key is bound to the motherboard so you do have to reinstall it. as far as I know.

Just reinstall it and use the activation line and say it is the first time use and it should activate.

That is kind of what the guy from microsoft was telling me, to go back to Windows 8.1 and then upgrade to windows 10 using that key with the free upgrade thing. You think that is what I need to do? Am I going to lose any info? I have 4 drives for data and 1 for my OS should I unplug the rest of the drives and just leave my SSD plugged when doing changes to the OS? Thanks!

Unplug everything except your SSD for your OS and do the upgrade process from there.

When I have done this I always got the automated voice key activation and after they give you all the numbers to type in the ask how many times has this been used and I always just say one. That makes it so it activates that one and deactivates that key on the old motherboard.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

You need to downgrade and then re-upgrade, it's a pain in the ass (I had to do it) since 7/8/8.1 keys don't work for W10.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

Hey there, yesterday I finally upgraded my PC to the new Z170 platform. I upgraded from Z97, the new motherboard is the Asus Z170 Deluxe and the CPU is the i7-6700k. After booting up and activating XMP profile for my 3200mhz memory windows is asking me to activate windows, it shows me the last 4 digits of my KEY but it also shows an error. Error code: 0xC004C003 

I tried talking with a microsoft rep through live chat but the guy was an idiot and kept telling me that I needed to start the upgrade process all over again. I was afraid he was going to cancel my windows Key so I just told him I was going to do that. Is there anything I can do to re activate my Windows license ? There is an annoying watermark on the screen now. Thanks!

Just use the phone activation...

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Wait, what do you mean by automated voice key activation? So, I have to downgrade to 8.1 then call microsoft service with my phone? 

Do you have a number for that? 

You type slui 4 into the start menu, press enter, select your country, and follow the instructions.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Wait, what do you mean by automated voice key activation? So, I have to downgrade to 8.1 then call microsoft service with my phone? 

I meant if you did a clean install and then it ask for the activation key. It sometimes tells you to call that number to activate your OS. You either get an actual person or just an automated voice system.

Spoiler

-

I meant if you did a clean install and then it ask for the activation key. It sometimes tells you to call that number to activate your OS. You either get an actual person or just an automated voice system.

I just called Microsoft before doing anything else and some girl in India answered my call, it was a pain in the ass to give her my full product key cause she kept getting it wrong but after a few tries she got it and she told me that she escalated my problem to some department I couldn't understand, I asked her if they were going to provide me with a new product key and she told me that they will, in no more than 48hrs I shall be getting a call. Doesn't sound that bad right? I only hope they don't cancel my product key lol.

I just called Microsoft before doing anything else and some girl in India answered my call, it was a pain in the ass to give her my full product key cause she kept getting it wrong but after a few tries she got it and she told me that she escalated my problem to some department I couldn't understand, I asked her if they were going to provide me with a new product key and she told me that they will, in no more than 48hrs I shall be getting a call. Doesn't sound that bad right? I only hope they don't cancel my product key lol.

You should be set then, And yes not being able to understand Microsoft support is very annoying. 

Spoiler

-