Safe voltage for a gtx 980 ti?

vuther

i am going to overclock my G1 gaming gtx 980 ti today and i'm not sure what i should set the max voltage to. Iv'e seen other people put it at 1.23.

You can max the slider without concern.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

It's fine overvolting to max in MSI Afterburner, you couldn't seriously damage the card with overvoltage unless you had a custom BIOS. Just monitor the temps and it should be fine with overvolting

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

You can max the slider but you may get worse OC with more volts and may be better off to stay on stock. Just expect that because Maxwell kinda works like that.

My 970 wouldn't allow over 1.3v, though this new 980Ti has 1.35v on it when it turbos but still isn't stable over 1.5 GHz [emoji53] but to answer your question, as long as the card can efficiently dissipate the heat generated by trying to shove more electrons through the same size 'hole' you should be alright. I set my fan curve to reach 100% at 65C, runs at 71 under load, which I'm okay with.

It's fine overvolting to max in MSI Afterburner, you couldn't seriously damage the card with overvoltage unless you had a custom BIOS. Just monitor the temps and it should be fine with overvolting

Most voltage controllers won't go past a damaging levels without modification to the PCB, custom BIOS doesn't fix that. Things like Classified/HOF tool work as well, but only on cards that use those voltage controllers.

My 970 wouldn't allow over 1.3v, though this new 980Ti has 1.35v on it when it turbos but still isn't stable over 1.5 GHz [emoji53] but to answer your question, as long as the card can efficiently dissipate the heat generated by trying to shove more electrons through the same size 'hole' you should be alright. I set my fan curve to reach 100% at 65C, runs at 71 under load, which I'm okay with.

Which 980 TI do you have? 

Because I have yet to see any cards that allow past 1.3 volts without custom voltage tools, or modifications to the PCB.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Most voltage controllers won't go past a damaging levels without modification to the PCB, custom BIOS doesn't fix that.

Which 980 TI do you have?

Because I have yet to see any cards that allow past 1.3 volts without custom voltage tools, or modifications to the PCB.

Lays, its the MSI Gaming version. I know what you're say is true, wasn't totally thrilled about forcing it to run high voltage while boosting, I liked the stepped voltage of the boost states when the card wasn't fully being utilized. This bios was limited to 1.27v before hitting VRel and VOp. I may upgrade to the Lightning edition as long as it's not astronomically more than I can get for this card used.

I'd like to compare the bios on my card to one with a reference cooler. I mean they advertise they use better caps, but who knows how much better they actually are...but I'll take my chances on a 6% overvolt until then