How does these compare to recent dlsr

MaximusX
Go to solution Solved by Ruostunut kokis,

So the canon xs is better?

It kinda is, and it kinda is not. For image quality, more recent cameras are better, even phone cameras. But an old DSLR like Canon 1000D offers something that other phone cameras (apart from odd phone/camera hybrids) do not: manual controls and exchangeable lenses.

in theory, an old DSLR should be better than phone cameras in low-light, but it's kinda debatable. And I am saying this as an owner of said DSLR. For average indoor lighting you need a lens with wider aperture than what kit lenses offer (f/ 3.5 - 5.6), something like the ever so popular "plastic fantastic" EF 50mm f/ 1.8 (100$ or less, for a lens, very affordable). With the kit lens, even the highest ISO in 1000D (ISO 1600) is barely enough for handheld shots, so just a heads up.

When it comes to a comparison to recent DSLRs, there's not much comparison, really. It falls behind quite a bit, but that doesn't mean you couldn't take some good images with it. Remember: It's not about the camera, it's about the user behind it and their skills.

How does a canon xs compare to newer dlsr?

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

How does a canon xs compare to newer dlsr?

You mean a Canon XS / 1000D SLR camera?

Specification wise the XS is completely outdated.  But...

I have friends who still use a Nikon D40, they make wonderful photos.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

You mean a Canon XS / 1000D SLR camera?

Specification wise the XS is completely outdated.  But...

I have friends who still use a Nikon D40, they make wonderful photos.

Yes what's the difference between slr and dlsr? Also how does it compare to the camera on a iphone 6?

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

Yes what's the difference between slr and dlsr? Also how does it compare to the camera on a iphone 6?

DSLR= Digital SLR

SLR= Single Lens Reflection, in other words a film camera :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Camera on an iPhone 6 can be considered as a mid end point-n-shoot camera.  A DSLR has a larger sensor, tends to have better lenses (compared to a phone camera) and gives you more control over all the settings.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Camera on an iPhone 6 can be considered as a mid end point-n-shoot camera. A DSLR has a larger sensor, tends to have better lenses (compared to a phone camera) and gives you more control over all the settings.

If you know how to properly use it, yes.  And understand what is possible and what isn't.

It kinda is, and it kinda is not. For image quality, more recent cameras are better, even phone cameras. But an old DSLR like Canon 1000D offers something that other phone cameras (apart from odd phone/camera hybrids) do not: manual controls and exchangeable lenses.

in theory, an old DSLR should be better than phone cameras in low-light, but it's kinda debatable. And I am saying this as an owner of said DSLR. For average indoor lighting you need a lens with wider aperture than what kit lenses offer (f/ 3.5 - 5.6), something like the ever so popular "plastic fantastic" EF 50mm f/ 1.8 (100$ or less, for a lens, very affordable). With the kit lens, even the highest ISO in 1000D (ISO 1600) is barely enough for handheld shots, so just a heads up.

When it comes to a comparison to recent DSLRs, there's not much comparison, really. It falls behind quite a bit, but that doesn't mean you couldn't take some good images with it. Remember: It's not about the camera, it's about the user behind it and their skills.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

Image quality is based on alot of things,like the lens used, the lighting etc. The quwation is are you wondering to purchase a 1000D/XS and if so how much are you planning to buy it for

These were taken on a Nikon D40 (which dxomark rates as being a worse camera) with a fairly meh lens. So with practice an xd/1000d should be able to make as good/if not better results

14986207272_5a549f55cb_b.jpgAE86 downtown-06 by Andrew Gregg, on Flickr

17438725634_c20cfb8007_b.jpg911 by Andrew Gregg, on Flickr

Nither of these photos is heavily edited, just a few basic slider adjustments in lightroom.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit