How to activate windows 10 after reinstalling because of corrupt upgrade from 8.1

As the title says i need to figure out how to activate windows 10 after reinstalling because of corrupt upgrade from 8.1. Originally I did not do a clean install and just upgraded from windows 8.1 with media creation tool. The installation somehow got corrupted and i HAD to do a fresh install because my task bar and other shit wouldn't work. Now my old windows 8.1 key does not activate windows 10 (as it once did.) So what do i do? Any help would be appreciated Microsoft blows.

Corsair 650d, Core i5 3570k, H100, Galaxy gtx670, Asus z77 vDeluxe Mobo, 16g kingston hyper x memory.

As the title says i need to figure out how to activate windows 10 after reinstalling because of corrupt upgrade from 8.1. Originally I did not do a clean install and just upgraded from windows 8.1 with media creation tool. The installation somehow got corrupted and i HAD to do a fresh install because my task bar and other shit wouldn't work. Now my old windows 8.1 key does not activate windows 10 (as it once did.) So what do i do? Any help would be appreciated Microsoft blows.

You need to skip the product key while installing....

What edition of 10 are you trying to activate?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

When you sign in with your Microsoft account (which you've signed in with previously on that computer), it will activate automatically eventually.

The key actually changes when it upgrades, my thoughts.

1: Create a virtual machine.
2: Install 8.1 on that with your 8.1 key.
3: Upgrade to 10 on the VM.
4: Use Belarc Advisor to grab the Windows 10 key.
5: Use the Windows 10 key to activate the proper install.
6: Delete VM.
7: Profit.

First line is my 8.1 Pro key before upgrade, second line is the 10 Pro key after upgrade.

a5c80023f1.png

@Austin152 Be sure to follow your own topics so you get notifications when people reply, the follow button is near the top right of the page, above the orange "reply to this topic" button.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

The woman at Microsoft essentially told me I was shit out of luck and had to reinstall Windows 8.1, activate it and then upgrade again. I'd do what Str_Mape recommended though.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Question, did you ever get Windows 10 actiavted before you had issues or did it mess up DURING the install process?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

When you sign in with your Microsoft account (which you've signed in with previously on that computer), it will activate automatically eventually.

It says i have to activate windows before i can edit acount settings. and this time around i ditched the id and went with local host.

You need to skip the product key while installing....

What edition of 10 are you trying to activate?

trying to activate windows 10 pro. My old OS was 8.1 pro

Question, did you ever get Windows 10 actiavted before you had issues or did it mess up DURING the install process?

I originally had windows 10 activated from one time use of 8.1 key for upgrade with media creation tool. This key does not work for already being on windows 10 for activation. I do have a Microsoft account that i used last time but now it wont let me sign in with that. everything seems locked down un-activated.

Corsair 650d, Core i5 3570k, H100, Galaxy gtx670, Asus z77 vDeluxe Mobo, 16g kingston hyper x memory.

trying to activate windows 10 pro. My old OS was 8.1 pro

Try this key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

so all you have to do is sign in with your Microsoft account. If you can't sign in you can go on outlook.com on another PC and test your password.

I originally had windows 10 activated from one time use of 8.1 key for upgrade with media creation tool. This key does not work for already being on windows 10 for activation. I do have a Microsoft account that i used last time but now it wont let me sign in with that. everything seems locked down un-activated.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE