Cloned Win10 from 1 SSD to another, won't boot

Aprils_Renegade

So here's the situation:

I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 with a setup of only my 512GB SSD (boot drive) and a 1TB HDD (Storage). I recently gained a new 256GB SSD which I want to make the new boot drive. I used EaseUS Todo to clone my upgraded Win10 boot drive from my 512 to my 256 SSD - the clone was successful, no errors. I boot in fine as normal on my 512 SSD, so then I attempt to boot off the newly cloned 256 SSD and I unplugged my original 512 OS SSD, but it doesn't seem to detect the OS on my SSD, so it just goes to the BIOS. After the clone was successful on my 256 SSD, I re-ordered all my SATA cables to this order: 256 - 1, 1TB HDD - 2, 512 - 3 and Disk Drive - 4. I'm running SATA controllers in AHCI mode, my boot priority is set to the new 256 SSD to boot first and I've attempted to only have my new 256 SSD connected, but nothing works. I tried re-connecting all my drives and my PC boots with fans spinning, keyboard and mouse powered however there is no input and the Boot_Device_LED turns on for a second, then nothing happens. Switching the ports for my 512 & 256 SSD works - currently 512 is in Port 1, and 256 is in Port 3.

I'm currently preparing a Win10 USB install disk to try to repair the new OS, but I can't think of any other options. I really need this PC up and running as soon as possible as I need it for school.

My System Specs are as follows:

i5-4670k

Asus Z87-A

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1,600MHz

EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified

Kingston 512GB SSD V+100

A-Data 256GB SP900

WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD

"If an Opportunity doesn't knock, build a Door." - Milton Berle

Sometimes when you boot and it says theres no copy of windows, just press enter.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Sometimes when you boot and it says theres no copy of windows, just press enter.

Unfortunately, I don't even reach this stage of installation. When I manually override booting to the cloned SSD, it blinks for a few seconds and returns to the BIOS.

Unfortunately, I don't even reach this stage of installation. When I manually override booting to the cloned SSD, it blinks for a few seconds and returns to the BIOS.

I've done MANY MANY clones using "Partition Wizard Free", and before that, various other programs, and have come across this issue as well with certain softwares tried..

With PW-Free, I've never once not found the OS on the other side..

Give it a try.

Open Program, Click the huge copy button up top.

Select source/target.

It will restart PC (So WIndows does not lock files in USE) and boom.... does the job, reboot and set new SSD to boot.

Never had issues with multiple clones on multiple PC's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

hi the problem that you have is that your new disk has no master boot record. You need to write it manually with a windows repair consol.

I think this link will help you http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

Cheers,

Gabba

Thanks for the help. Followed all the commands in the guide, but it didn't seem to fix the issue. When I ran the initial bootrec /RebuildBcr command, it detected my volume straight away however when I selected to add it to the boot list, it said it couldn't be found or something like that. I ran the other commands and attempted to boot, but this didn't fix the issue.

Thanks for the help. Followed all the commands in the guide, but it didn't seem to fix the issue. When I ran the initial bootrec /RebuildBcr command, it detected my volume straight away however when I selected to add it to the boot list, it said it couldn't be found or something like that. I ran the other commands and attempted to boot, but this didn't fix the issue.

I've done MANY MANY clones using "Partition Wizard Free", and before that, various other programs, and have come across this issue as well with certain softwares tried..

With PW-Free, I've never once not found the OS on the other side..

Give it a try if the original clone option is still available to do.

Open Program, Click the huge copy button up top.

Select source/target.

It will restart PC (So WIndows does not lock files in USE) and boom.... does the job, reboot and set new SSD to boot.

Never had issues with multiple clones on multiple PC's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I've not used EaseUs to clone, but if it's anything like the clone tools on MiniXP (on Hiren's BootCD) then it's possible you didn't clone the entire drive, but instead just the Windows partition. The hidden system-reserved partition needs to be copied, too.

I would try the clone again (shouldn't take too long with SSDs that size) but make sure you examine all options to select as the source.