Boot drive not listed under EFI

Ezio

After trying multiple times to" upgrade " to win 10 and failed, i finally created a bootable iso, used rufus to burn it to a pendrive and clean installed the os onto my ssd.. while booting from the pendrive i had to the change the boot mode from uefi to legacy .. now the after installation i tried to change the boot mode back to uefi . but if the ssd is not available as a boot device in uefi .. its available only in legacy . the system is working fine though.
is ther any reason i would need to change the boot mode to uefi ? just curious..

After trying multiple times to" upgrade " to win 10 and failed, i finally created a bootable iso, used rufus to burn it to a pendrive and clean installed the os onto my ssd.. while booting from the pendrive i had to the change the boot mode from uefi to legacy .. now the after installation i tried to change the boot mode back to uefi . but if the ssd is not available as a boot device in uefi .. its available only in legacy . the system is working fine though.

is ther any reason i would need to change the boot mode to uefi ? just curious..

You probably didn't install Windows EFI style. You need to set your BIOS to EFI only (your USB/disc copy of Windows needs to support EFI as well which Rufus allows for), and when installing Windows, select the drive during installation and delete all that is on it (your C drive), then click on New - Apply, then hopefully 4 partitions are available on your C drive. Select the highest capacity Primary drive (on your C drive) and continue.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You need to format your SSD and make it GPT. Then enable UEFI and boot from the USB drive. fromat the SSD again, make a new partition (with the Windows installer) and 4 partitions should come up.

You probably didn't install Windows EFI style. You need to set your BIOS to EFI only (your USB/disc copy of Windows needs to support EFI as well which Rufus allows for), and when installing Windows, select the drive during installation and delete all that is on it (your C drive), then click on New - Apply, then hopefully 4 partitions are available on your C drive. Select the highest capacity Primary drive (on your C drive) and continue.

how do i check whether my iso image supports efi or not ??

also iam have asked one more thing .. 

is there any reason for me to change the boot mode to efi ??? is it better than legacy in anyway ?

You shouldn't use Rufus if you wish to boot in UEFI mode.

Simply format the USB to FAt32 then copy paste everything from the ISO to the USB drive and it will boot in UEFI mode.

As for the benefits of UEFI, quite simply a 6 second boot time is all you really need to know, theres other stuff to but the main reason to use UEFI mode to install Windows is for fast boot.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

how do i check whether my iso image supports efi or not ??

also iam have asked one more thing .. 

is there any reason for me to change the boot mode to efi ??? is it better than legacy in anyway ?

Your board, if you force all drives to boot in EFI mode only, will see your flash drive as a bootable object in the boot menu.

And if you've already installed Windows legacy-style then it isn't a huge deal to install it EFI. You got faster boot, sleep and shutdown times as well as faster wake from sleep and whatnot.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Your board, if you force all drives to boot in EFI mode only, will see your flash drive as a bootable object in the boot menu.

And if you've already installed Windows legacy-style then it isn't a huge deal to install it EFI. You got faster boot, sleep and shutdown times as well as faster wake from sleep and whatnot.

You shouldn't use Rufus if you wish to boot in UEFI mode.

Simply format the USB to FAt32 then copy paste everything from the ISO to the USB drive and it will boot in UEFI mode.

As for the benefits of UEFI, quite simply a 6 second boot time is all you really need to know, theres other stuff to but the main reason to use UEFI mode to install Windows is for fast boot.

Thank you mates... installing windows 10 again wont be a problem.. but downloading updates and drivers will be one ..( third world internet connection woes :(  ) 

Ill stick with legacy boot for now and install in efi the next time iam forced to format my system...