Camera for safari.

Paralectic

So my father asked me some advice for purchasing a video camera.

He is going on safari in Africa in a few months and he needs a decent camera to record videos.

The requirements are: atleast 1080p and semi-high framerate ( 60-100+ ).

He doesn't want a DSLR and also not any action camera like a go-pro.

So just a normal hand-held video camera.

The budget is around 200-400USD/EU, if that's possible.

Thanks already,

He is going on safari in Africa in a few months and he needs a decent camera to record videos.

The requirements are atleast 1080p and semi-high framerate ( 60-100+ ).

So just a normal hand-held.

Thanks already,

For his budget, it will be a camcorder.  I can recommend a camcorder that records 1080p up to 50/60fps.  Any higher frame rate and the camera will be at least double his budget.

Something like this:Canon 32GB VIXIA HF R62, very close to his price range and it comes with 32GB of internal memory built in, and has room for a memory card.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1110406-REG/canon_0278c004_32gb_vixia_hf_r62.html

There are cheaper models that come without the internal memory, but having internal memory is great for recording overflow if the external memory card gets filled up, for backup via dual recording, and if he forgets/loses his memory cards.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

is the rx100 in your budget ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Thanks already,

if you live near sassenheim then you could come by my fathers shop :)

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Sassenheim/@52.2206429,4.5344179,9.75z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47c5c1644b251c69:0x9b3ca918e383f2ac?hl=nl

is the rx100 in your budget ?

Which mark?

A photo camera with video capability is not a bad idea for safari trips, however the video capability may not be implemented as well as a proper video camera.  Especially if your father witnesses a fast action scene like a lion chasing down an antelope, a video camera will be able to focus faster and pan more smoothly while a photo camera may not be as fast or smooth.

The advantage of a photo camera is that it can also capture good quality still images.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

A photo camera with video capability is not a bad idea for safari trips, however the video capability may not be implemented as well as a proper video camera.  Especially if your father witnesses a fast action scene like a lion chasing down an antelope, a video camera will be able to focus faster and pan more smoothly while a photo camera may not be as fast or smooth.

The advantage of a photo camera is that it can also capture still images.

But if he'd get a photo camera it would be a DSLR I assume, or are there any semi-affordable compact cameras capable of both decent quality photo and video?

But if he'd get a photo camera it would be a DSLR I assume, or are there any semi-affordable compact cameras capable of both decent quality photo and video?

Thanks already,

i talked to my dad and he will be looking into it :)

"semi-affordable compact cameras capable of both decent quality photo and video?"  Yes, there are.  However as I said, the video recording capability may not be implemented as well as a proper video camera.  I am not talking about image quality, I am referring to capabilities such as zoom and focus, panning and image stabilization, etc.

Auto focus in most photo cameras are optimized for still images, where you aim your lens at a subject, focus and capture a single moment.  Video cameras are designed for continuous focus as the lens may be recording a scene where the subject is moving around.  There are a few photo cameras where the AF can be optimized for both, however these models tend to be on the higher end side of things, i.e. more expensive.

Same thing with image stabilization, a photo camera's stabilization is optimized for a single photo.  Video cameras' stabilization has to work continuously where the camera may be moving around.

Image quality wise, these days all cameras perform more or less well to a certain point depending on the design specifications such as sensor tech, sensor size, lens quality.

Edit: you don't have to take my word for it.  Visit a camera store that lets you try out the display models for both a photo camera and a video camera that you or your father may be interested in.  Ask them if you can record a short video on each camera (maybe you need to bring a memory card with you), say for example of people walking/running around outside the shop.  Try to see which one makes it easier to keep your subject in focus, better image stability, zooming in and out, etc.  Compare the footage.

"semi-affordable compact cameras capable of both decent quality photo and video?"  Yes, there are.  However as I said, the video recording capability may not be implemented as well as a proper video camera.  I am not talking about image quality, I am referring to capabilities such as zoom and focus, panning and image stabilization, etc.

Auto focus in most photo cameras are optimized for still images, where you aim your lens at a subject, focus and capture a single moment.  Video cameras are designed for continuous focus as the lens may be recording a scene where the subject is moving around.  There are a few photo cameras where the AF can be optimized for both, however these models tend to be on the higher end side of things, i.e. more expensive.

Same thing with image stabilization, a photo camera's stabilization is optimized for a single photo.  Video cameras' stabilization has to work continuously where the camera may be moving around.

Image quality wise, these days all cameras perform more or less well to a certain point depending on the design specifications such as sensor tech, sensor size, lens quality.

Edit: you don't have to take my word for it.  Visit a camera store that lets you try out the display models for both a photo camera and a video camera that you or your father may be interested in.  Ask them if you can record a short video on each camera (maybe you need to bring a memory card with you), say for example of people walking/running around outside the shop.  Try to see which one makes it easier to keep your subject in focus, better image stability, zooming in and out, etc.  Compare the footage.

"Visit a camera store" wink wink i know one xD

"Visit a camera store" wink wink i know one xD

:rolleyes:  Ok just make sure that it is a store that understands that the customer may not have a lot of experience operating different types of cameras and may simply want something that is simple, easy and convenient to use.  I do agree that a DSLR/Mirrorless camera is capable of recording better quality video than that of a cheap camcorder, however they do require a lot of practice and preparation.  While a camcorder requires that you simply take it out of the carry bag, turn it on and start recording.

:rolleyes:  Ok just make sure that it is a store that understands that the customer may not have a lot of experience operating different types of cameras and may simply want something that is simple, easy and convenient to use.  I do agree that a DSLR/Mirrorless camera is capable of recording better quality video than that of a cheap camcorder, however they do require a lot of practice and preparation.  While a camcorder requires that you simply take it out of the carry bag, turn it on and start recording.

my dad has been doing this kind of stuff (selling cameras) for about 20 years now i think.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If he wants to do animal/widlife he needs alot of zoom atleast on the telephoto side to be 400-600mm, or the animal will look tiny, or he's way too close to the animal, and better book it fast :|

Thanks already,

have you been to a store yet? because i'm really sorry that i forgot about this thread :(