What to look for when getting into modding!

Basicly I want to create a thread where anyone could go at anytime and get some helpfull advice from you veterans out there.
As this forum is getting bigger every day, I want to create a combined thread of all of your advice that you will be posting in this thread (assuming this hasn't been done proberly before).

So if you are on with this idea, please. Feed us newbies with your knowledge and we'll get this thing started!

.:EDIT:.

If we get a decent ammount of advice, tips and tricks I will gather every piece of it, and make a guide thread in the guides section.

Edited by XzzDSA

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

I think he meant a start-up guide for people who have no idea what modding is.

Basicly, I want everything written down from the Linus community. Videos are great, but it's not always the best solution. I meant first of all having a guide that explains and covers pretty much everything you need to know about modding in "short sentences". And by that I mean, a thread/guide where you could easily lookup a short explanation of something that you need on the spot whether it being Cable sleeving or making a window for your case. Youtube videos are not always the best way to do this although it's a great tool to precisly show how to do something.

And second of all, a place where you can get UPDATED community advice from everyone who has an insight in modding.

This guide will contain a formated "interface" so you can get to certain sections of the guide easy, maybe contain SHORT videos and also links for websites recommended by you guys to get different kind of hardware. Wether it being tools to work with, fabric, metal, paintjobs or whatever the case may be.

Sorry for my bad formation of this topic It's getting kind of late, I hope you get the point :)

- Cool right?

Sounds more like your idea is a Moder's Dictionary.

"Search term" / Description / Example

Wireless Router:  a device that performs the functions of a router but also includes the functions of a wireless access point

More or less. Linus does a good job with the tech quickie. But I wanted something towards modding, of all kinds. May it be delidding / DTD or something else.

- Cool right?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcnCXoB2dRjaTKkcd3l517Q

This channel has almost all you need in terms of tutorials for modding :)

Just saw this on their channel.

Extremely interesting an easy.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

So honestly, do you guys think this isn't needed?

Proberly isn't I Dunno... I thought it would be cool to have some kind of "Modding manual" or whatever.. Hmm, anyways I guess not :/

- Cool right?

Well, most people who want to mod their case have a very specific idea on what they want to mod it on/into. They would just look up directly what it is that they wanted to do.

Basicly, I want everything written down from the Linus community. Videos are great, but it's not always the best solution. I meant first of all having a guide that explains and covers pretty much everything you need to know about modding in "short sentences". And by that I mean, a thread/guide where you could easily lookup a short explanation of something that you need on the spot whether it being Cable sleeving or making a window for your case. Youtube videos are not always the best way to do this although it's a great tool to precisly show how to do something.

And second of all, a place where you can get UPDATED community advice from everyone who has an insight in modding.

This guide will contain a formated "interface" so you can get to certain sections of the guide easy, maybe contain SHORT videos and also links for websites recommended by you guys to get different kind of hardware. Wether it being tools to work with, fabric, metal, paintjobs or whatever the case may be.

Sorry for my bad formation of this topic It's getting kind of late, I hope you get the point :)

I think rather than rewriting everything, why not just make a collection of references. The other benefit of just referring to is that you will not be heckled for "stealing" someone's work.

My contribution to a bit of helpful information: http://www.overclock.net/a/lutro0s-video-guide-to-sleeving

Modding is about building rigs using you creativity and talents. Nobody can give you a dictionary based on that concept. I think it's best left up to the person interested in modding to do their homework to figure out if their idea is going to work like the rest of us did. Of course one can always ask questions in forums.

Modding is about building rigs using you creativity and talents. Nobody can give you a dictionary based on that concept. I think it's best left up to the person interested in modding to do their homework to figure out if their idea is going to work like the rest of us did. Of course one can always ask questions in forums.

+1

to me modding is that personal signature you leave on your creations. theres never really modding tutorials but rather modding tips. whether it be cutting plastics, painting, tools, etc...

we could have a pinned thread outlining these do's and don'ts but I dont think it will be that elaborate. most don'ts are pretty obvious

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP