Two routers, but seperated

lubblig
Go to solution Solved by Blebekblebek,

there's even easier solution if your main router doesn't have AP Isolation feature.

assuming you have DHCP on main router.

Plug ethernet into WAN port on 2nd router from main router

set WAN connection to dynamic IP, and use different IP range for it, assuming main network using 192.168.0.X, set 2nd router to 180.1.1.X or any prefix you prefer.

set your wifi name and done

now you have 2 network with 2 different IP range address.

I have an Asus router that I use for all of my home. But I would like to add another older router (d-link) after the Asus one and have it as a Guest network so that whenever I have people over, I don't have to worry about them accessing my shared folders in the network.

I've installed DD-WRT on the D-link router that I will be using as a guest network (because of its own very limited interface/firmware, I thought something like DD-WRT would help) but since I haven't ever used it before. I'm a little stuck.

As it is now, it's basically just a switch and I can access all of the private folders of my "private" network (from the asus router). So how would I go by to block this and only allow internet access via the D-link router without all of the sharing stuff. (I know about making the setting for public network within Windows will not share anything but I cannot force people who come over to do it. Rather I probably will forget and my family won't even know how)

So if there is any possible way for me (using DD-WRT or some other firmware, the router is a D-link DIR615 rev d) to block all "lan communication" (including what comes via the wan port from the asus router) and only allow the internet access, that'd be the best way of solving it.

So how ever you guys see this being solved in the best possible way, I'm open for suggestions (though I don't want to use some guest feature on the Asus router, if there is any, I want to use a separate router).

Also, I cannot relocate the D-link router to being before the Asus one, due to reasons...

Thanks

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

I have an Asus router that I use for all of my home. But I would like to add another older router (d-link) after the Asus one and have it as a Guest network so that whenever I have people over, I don't have to worry about them accessing my shared folders in the network.

I've installed DD-WRT on the D-link router that I will be using as a guest network (because of its own very limited interface/firmware, I thought something like DD-WRT would help) but since I haven't ever used it before. I'm a little stuck.

As it is now, it's basically just a switch and I can access all of the private folders of my "private" network (from the asus router). So how would I go by to block this and only allow internet access via the D-link router without all of the sharing stuff. (I know about making the setting for public network within Windows will not share anything but I cannot force people who come over to do it. Rather I probably will forget and my family won't even know how)

So if there is any possible way for me (using DD-WRT or some other firmware, the router is a D-link DIR615 rev d) to block all "lan communication" (including what comes via the wan port from the asus router) and only allow the internet access, that'd be the best way of solving it.

So how ever you guys see this being solved in the best possible way, I'm open for suggestions (though I don't want to use some guest feature on the Asus router, if there is any, I want to use a separate router).

Also, I cannot relocate the D-link router to being before the Asus one, due to reasons...

Thanks

As most people are even unaware of the existence of ethernet, I suggest that you use DD-WRT to create a WiFi network with AP isolation enabled. Make sure to use WPA2-AES with a strong password.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

As most people are even unaware of the existence of ethernet, I suggest that you use DD-WRT to create a WiFi network with AP isolation enabled. Make sure to use WPA2-AES with a strong password.

Yes, I forgot to mention. This will only be used over wifi. No ethernet for the guests.

Could you please explain a bit more thoroughly how to do this. Again, I'm all new to DD-WRT, I have all of the usual settings fixed like password and WPA2 and a password for the admin interface, but when it comes to these more advanced stuff, I have no idea how to do it.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

Yes, I forgot to mention. This will only be used over wifi. No ethernet for the guests.

Could you please explain a bit more thoroughly how to do this. Again, I'm all new to DD-WRT, I have all of the usual settings fixed like password and WPA2 and a password for the admin interface, but when it comes to these more advanced stuff, I have no idea how to do it.

Just select the Wireless tab, click on Advanced Settings, tick AP Isolation, then Apply Settings.

I don't remember the exact process, I do not have a DD-WRT router available right now.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

there's even easier solution if your main router doesn't have AP Isolation feature.

set WAN connection to dynamic IP, and use different IP range for it, assuming main network using 192.168.0.X, set 2nd router to 180.1.1.X or any prefix you prefer.

Just select the Wireless tab, click on Advanced Settings, tick AP Isolation, then Apply Settings.

I don't remember the exact process, I do not have a DD-WRT router available right now.

Thanks both of you, I first tried enabling AP isolation. Didn't quite work but I realized that I had done tons of things in the settings so I probably need factory defaults.

So after reseting, I enabled AP isolation but due to as Blebekblebek said, I needed a new IP range because they were using the same one and both had DHCP on.

So I changed it and now I have both internet and it's isolated to only the Guest network (and I cannot access the shared stuff on the home network).

Thanks both of you.

I don't know who to mark solved on since you both helped... But I guess I'll like your posts and Mark as solved for Blebekblebek since that was the final touch that was needed.

Anyway, thanks both of you!

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

make sure you are using different channel and channel width if possible main router set 40mhz, 2nd set to 20mhz for compatibility, again only if you are using both wireless.

main reason I did that because "family" event, and it's certainly easier to maintain & monitor, if I no longer need it I could turn off guest network.

make sure you are using different channel and channel width if possible main router set 40mhz, 2nd set to 20mhz for compatibility, again only if you are using both wireless.

main reason I did that because "family" event, and it's certainly easier to maintain & monitor, if I no longer need it I could turn off guest network.

I have already, but thanks for the tip! :)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP: