REPOST- Please merge or delete. Acer reveals 'Ara-like' modular PC project.

zacRupnow

SOURCE: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34130098

Google has Project Ara and there's some interesting start-ups as well. It's logical to extend the idea to desktop PCs. A modular PC for a gamer would be perfect as it would let them add in extra capabilities without having to get their hands dirty.

_85325357_86b9ffc2-c7e5-41b6-b145-246689

Initially, the only add-on part will be a 500GB or one terabyte portable hard drive.

But over the following months the firm plans to release:
- A Power Bank, that can be used to run the PC when it is not plugged in or charge compatible mobile phones

- An Audio Block, adding speakers and a microphone. The firm said this could also work as a portable music player when detached from the unit

- A Graphics Block, to improve the quality of video games and handling of other image-intensive processes

It said each of the blocks was designed to work independently or with other PCs.
The company's chief executive Jason Chen also invited users to suggest ideas for new modules to Acer.

_85325364_e61c865f-de0d-4071-bb4b-acd974

This seems like a really great idea to me, mixing customization and modular parts with user simplicity. Could bring in a place for long lasting AIOs. Don't think it will impact us enthusiasts too much but this would be great for a secondary PC or for a shared storage PC and bringing your storage to family/friends to exchange.

Acer unveiled the machine at Berlin's Ifa tech show. The Taiwanese firm said that when the product goes on sale in October, the cheapest base unit - containing a processor and eight gigabytes of RAM - would cost £199.

(That's currently $303.09 USD according to Google.)

It's not quite as cool as Razer's concept idea from 2014, but I'd prefer something small like this along with my custom build.

Unlike Razer's concept, the connections are much more like those in Google's Project Ara, and Acer's modular PC is an actual product that will be available to purchased in October.

d4d4f87a-0f54-4ee1-a598-ec67cfb2f60e.jpg

Linus the future is here!

If Acer's product does well then the horizon for expansion into the enthusiast level hardware is just around the corner.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Noooooooo! I was searching for Linus's old video on the Razer project before posting.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Nice post OP. Too bad it was a repost. I feel for ya...