Think I've Finally Narrowed It Down

TravisTea

These are the two gpus I'm considering but I'M TORN. Need some input to help me decide. Both look like fantastic deals, and honestly, if it weren't for the new MGS game with the gtx 970 I'd probably go with the R9 390. That game makes that purchase a better deal in my eyes, but at the same time I know the 390 has its advantages too.. HELP ME!! 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127850&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-850-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125805&cm_re=r9_390-_-14-125-805-_-Product

390 hands down.

DX12 is going to boost a crap ton of performance for AMD cards.

If Nvidia features matter to you though, go with the 970.

390 for RAW performance 

970 for Nvidia features.

I produce music!

390 hands down.

390 for RAW performance 

970 for Nvidia features.

390 hands down.

390 for RAW performance 

970 for Nvidia features.

This

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

If you can find a Newegg site-wide discount code, it cannot be applied to the 970 due to the free game. If you have such code, it'd make the 390 way less expensive.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

390 hands down.

390 for RAW performance 

970 for Nvidia features.

I did enjoy the Nvidia features when I had my gtx 760. Currently I have a Radeon 7950 and I don't care much for the Raptr app they use, but it's whatever really.

If you can find a Newegg site-wide discount code, it cannot be applied to the 970 due to the free game. If you have such code, it'd make the 390 way less expensive.

What kind of discount code?

What kind of discount code?

Unfortunately the only two good ones I know expired on the first.

I just checked /r/buildapcsales and here are the details to one this month.

Generally around another 10% off (not including the rebate), up to $20, so the 390 would be $279.99 at the end of the day. Compared to the $339.99, it's a pretty large difference for about the same performance.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Unfortunately the only two good ones I know expired on the first.

I just checked /r/buildapcsales and here are the details to one this month.

Generally around another 10% off (not including the rebate), up to $20, so the 390 would be $279.99 at the end of the day. Compared to the $339.99, it's a pretty large difference for about the same performance.

I checked and couldn't find anything  :(

390 or 290x. Sapphire makes a dx12 290x I believe.

I think from the 7xxx series up supports DX12. Don't quote me on that though.. lol

I think from the 7xxx series up supports DX12. Don't quote me on that though.. lol

Yes, all GCN cards support DX12.

GCN 1.0 support feature level 11_1 and GCN 1.1/1.2 support feature level 12_0.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Yes, all GCN cards support DX12.

GCN 1.0 support feature level 11_1 and GCN 1.1/1.2 support feature level 12_0.

GCN 1.0 supports some aspects of DX12, like Async compute and other stuff.

**Edit** Actually, the only difference seems to be tiled resources. Tiled resources appears to be the make or break feature for a number of architectures.

e7i7KlH.png

YiIBXLx.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

GCN 1.0 supports some aspects of DX12, like Async compute and other stuff.

**Edit** Actually, the only difference seems to be tiled resources. Tiled resources appears to be the make or break feature for a number of architectures.

That's right, GCN 1.0 only missing 1 featuretier to meet feature level 12_0 compliant. 4 years old arch. 

They have 2 ACE engines(16 Compute tasks) only though compare to GCN 1.1/1.2 with 8 ACE(64 compute tasks).

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

That's right, GCN 1.0 only missing 1 featuretier to meet feature level 12_0 compliant. 4 years old arch. 

They have 2 ACE engines(16 Compute tasks) only though compare to GCN 1.1/1.2 with 8 ACE(64 compute tasks).

Oh yeah, that's right. I remember now the Xbox One having 2 ACEs as it was the default for GCN 1.0, and the PS4 having 8 ACEs because Sony engineers wanted more parallel Compute.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Quoting you. Lol. Apparently DX12 have partial support on all GCN and up cards and whatever the 3 most recent configurations from nvidia are. There are some features that will require a card with full DX12 support though. But there was a benchmark recently done that shows AMD cards to be more DX12 ready than Nvidia. I can only assume this is due to AMD developing mantle with their last generation of cards as a low level API so they have a jump on Nvidia in that department. I really feel like AMD is going to absolutely punch Nvidia in the mouth with their Arctic islands cards next year.

Forget about that 390. That is the worse 390 out there. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Forget about that 390. That is the worse 390 out there. 

Oh, seriously?? Thanks for the heads up! What makes it the worse, if I can ask?

Oh, seriously?? Thanks for the heads up! What makes it the worse, if I can ask?

Its volt locked. And a very hard lock. No one had figured a way around it yet and probably never will. 

This thread has tons of info on the various 390s.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1561704/official-amd-r9-390-390x-owners-club

XFX= Full cover waterblock available. Good clockers usually, and cooling is sufficient for core, but not stellar, and VRM's tend to get hot

Sapphire= No water block available, but has excellent air cooling. Require 8+8 pin connectors versus 8+6. Some would prefer that, in hopes of obtaining higher OC results, but unfortunately OC results so far on the Nitro and Tri-X are only mediocre-good

Gigabyte= No waterblocks. Well built card, decent cooling, but the voltage is hard locked, so expect clock ceiling to be very limited... most likely 1100 or less.

PowerColor= Offers full cover waterblocks, and also has excellent air cooling, but so far there have only been weak-mediocre-ish overclocking results. 1150 or less on the core seems to be the norm, with most landing between 1130-1140, even despite it's excellent cooling.

MSI= No full cover waterblocks available. Stock air cooling is good but not great with regards to the core temps, but seems to be very good for the VRM temps. So far, these seem to have the best overclocking results. Most poeople hitting 1160-1200

Asus= (DCU2) Full cover block available. Not much info on these, but theyappears to use the same cooler as the 290 series, which was a poor performing cooler. I have seen very few purchasing the Asus card. Overclock results seem to be average so far, but have very little data to make a general claim.

Asus= (Strix) Unsure on waterblocks with these... stock cooling is good. Very little OC information, but from what I have seen, they are average. Probably in line with Sapphire when it comes to binning.

Not much else to say about the 970 though. Its Msi's variant of the 970 is also very good but the best one out there us the Gigabyte G1. You can't go wrong with either cards.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Its volt locked. And a very hard lock. No one had figured a way around it yet and probably never will. 

This thread has tons of info on the various 390s.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1561704/official-amd-r9-390-390x-owners-club

Not much else to say about the 970 though. Its Msi's variant of the 970 is also very good but the best one out there us the Gigabyte G1. You can't go wrong with either cards.

Oh wow. Sounds like each manufacture had their own thing going. I don't mind the locked voltage, to be honest. I normally don't overclock my gpus. I just want something stable. I run 144hz 1080p so I need something better than my 7950 3gb. I had the Gigabyte G1 gtx 970 and it was a turd. Also had an EVGA variant of the card and the coil whine and fan noise was atrocious! But that MSI looks like a winner.. I still don't know what to get.. damn it lol

Oh wow. Sounds like each manufacture had their own thing going. I don't mind the locked voltage, to be honest. I normally don't overclock my gpus. I just want something stable. I run 144hz 1080p so I need something better than my 7950 3gb. I had the Gigabyte G1 gtx 970 and it was a turd. Also had an EVGA variant of the card and the coil whine and fan noise was atrocious! But that MSI looks like a winner.. I still don't know what to get.. damn it lol

Well if you don't overclock then the G1 might work for you. But the Msi variant is the best one thus far. 

Well if you don't overclock then the G1 might work for you. But the Msi variant is the best one thus far. 

Msi 970 or 390?

Msi 970 or 390?

Wow that's pretty direct. Overclock these 2 cards and they will match each other but on stock, the 390 edges out a little. I'd say 390 but are you satisfied with AMD features? 

Wow that's pretty direct. Overclock these 2 cards and they will match each other but on stock, the 390 edges out a little. I'd say 390 but are you satisfied with AMD features?

I honestly prefer Nvidia's features because I'm more used to having them over the years. 390 seems to put out a little more heat than this 970 too, which is also a factor to me. I do like the power of the 390 though.. if only the 970 had 8gb of vram lol