Is it possible to damage a gpu with thermal paste ?

leodiavata

So i cleaned up my brother's pc yesterday and changed the thermal paste on cpu and gpu. The pc would not boot up. I started removing parts and testing them on my system. I concluded that the gpu was the problem. I oppened it up again and saw that some thermal paste had leaked from the chip to the surrounding green area that had lost its color and became like really dark brown ( might upload a photo of it tomorrow). So did I just kill the gpu with the paste or what ? Is that even possible ? Thank you all in advance.

If the thermal paste is electrically conductive, it could damage or kill a graphics card. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So i cleaned up my brother's pc yesterday and changed the thermal paste on cpu and gpu. The pc would not boot up. I started removing parts and testing them on my system. I concluded that the gpu was the problem. I oppened it up again and saw that some thermal paste had leaked from the chip to the surrounding green area that had lost its color and became like really dark brown ( might upload a photo of it tomorrow). So did I just kill the gpu with the paste or what ? Is that even possible ? Thank you all in advance.

you burned your gpu out.

My guess is that it shorted something and killed the GPU.

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!