when i try to overclock CPU, the GPU wont start

MajorZ

Dears,

So when i tried to overclock my CPU to 4.4GHz or 4.2GHz my graphic card (AMD HD 7950) wont start or crash (what i get is black screen like the pc is not connected to the monitor), so i disconnected the power from the graphic card, then connected HDMI directly to the motherboard's HDMI port, then started the pc and it worked. after that i have removed the overclocking from the setting and reconnected the graphic card (AMD HD 7950) and it worked like charm!

From the setting of AMD Catalyst (AMD Overdrive) i have noticed that if i increase the power limit it will cause the graphic card to crash. on the other-hand if i increases the GPU clock setting the graphic card will work perfect.

Guys, am i facing power issue ?

Components:

Motherboard - ASROCK Z87 EXTREME3 -LGA1150 Intel Z87 Chipset DDR3 Quad CrossFireX Quad SLI SATA3 USB3.0 ATX Motherboard

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ 6 MB Cache - BX80646I54670

Graphic Card - Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 7950 OC with Boost 3 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11196-09-40G

2 x Sata 7200 RPM

1 x SSD

2 x 4GB Ram

Power supply - RAW POWER 600 WATT - FEATURES:

•  ATX Version 2.31, suports dual 12V Rail
  •  600 Watt moduler power supply unit for system with high configration
  •  Energy saving design with high efficiency more than 82%
  •  OCP, OLP, OPP, OVP, SCP, UVP Protection
  •  Intel I3, I5 and I7, AMD. & also supports Dual Core CPU
  •  Super silent 12cm sleeve bearing thermally controlled fan
  •  20+4 pins (Nylon sheeve), P4+P4 (Nylon sheeve)
  •  3PATA (Nylon sheeve), 1FDD, 4SATA (Nylon sheeve)
  •  2PCI - E (6+6+2) (Nylon sheeve)
  •  100% High temperature burn, 100% HI-POT tested
  •  Active Power Factor Correction (PFC)

post-35726-0-70822500-1441302791_thumb.p

Consider upgrading whole pc...

Old MB, old GPU, notorious CPU for being hot... + That chipset isnt exactly the best for OC you can get these days..

Consider upgrading whole pc...

Old MB, old GPU, notorious CPU for being hot... + That chipset isnt exactly the best for OC you can get these days..

you mad? that cpu is still the second best i5 you can get and the motherboard is a really good one, this is poor advice.

not been funny but your system is nowhere near to this standard.

you need to elimate if its actually the gpu, test the overclock for 1 hour on something like prime95 with the overclock using onboard graphics,  unplug your gpu from the pc power cables and just leave it sat in its slot.

you might not be giving the overclock enough voltage.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

well this topic has resolved the CPU OC issue, i still need to figure out why the GPU crashes when i increases the power limit  :wacko: