Do i need a new PSU?

1chalupa

current specs are as follows: AMD fx-8120 @4.2ghz, corsair h40, 16gb of ram, evga gtx-550ti super clocked, 2 ssd, 1 hdd, 2 140mm fans and 1 140mm fan with leds, 1 cold cathode light, an internal card reader, a DVD CD ROM drive, then 6 USB devices connected. My current PSU is some generic 700w. i don't know if all of that matters but id thought id put it done. i would like to be upgrading my gpu to a gtx 660ti, probably gonna go with the msi power edition one. Do i need to get a bigger power supply or will mine do? if i need a new one really need to have a modular one cause the nzxt lexa-s has little to none room for cable management.

How old are your PSU? What is the brand? I think you'll gonna need tu upgrade the psu because Bulldozer does consume more power compared to Piledriver...

Yes you will be fine but is your PSU a 80 plus certified psu and how long have you been using it? If you use your PSU longer, the capacitors can age and degrade.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I think that considering your power usage at max will be around 400 watts

142 watts max for the gpu

150 watts for the cpu (125 watts @3.1ghz so idk what it'd be at 4.2 ghz since you probably bumped the voltage,probably a lot less than 150 watts)

HDD + DVD drive + SSD 40 watts

everything else 50 watts

382 watts (it'll probably be considerably less)

so 382/700 54.57%

so even this worse than worst case scenario it would only take 54.57% of that psu's rated output.

so even if it has begun to degrade,and it's a sucky psu in general,it'll most likely be fine.

although if you upgrade the graphics card I'd definitely suggest upgrading the psu.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I usually like to use a power supply calculator, like this. After putting in the hardware you specified, with the 660 Ti, minimum PSU wattage is 438W and recommended PSU is 488 W. However, this calculator assumes a generic power supply, i.e. not 80 PLUS certified in any way. So your generic 700W would be fine in terms of wattage. Of course, amperage should be considered as well, considering you have an overclocked system, but seeing that you haven't mentioned any problems with your current one, it should be fine.

Generic = fail, 80 plus certs can be faked too.

Buy a proper one for:

-lower voltage ripple

-better amperage on relevant rails (i.e not a gajillion amps on the 5v rail and barely any on the 12v)

-psu component life and quality

-better efficiency

-better warranty

-quietness

-piece of mind

The list goes on..

A decent 550-650 watt psu will be plenty