Wanna-be audiofile

FluffyPuma

So I'm building a PC within the next week and will be getting a pretty decent soundcard (haven't decided yet) and will be looking into picking up a set of high quality headphones + mod mic. I do want high quality, but obviously not Sennheiser HD 800 or something absurd like that. I'm looking for a decent pair of headphones between $100-250US/AU

Thanks guys :)

Fluffy

i5 4670k @ 4.6Ghz | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4) 2133MHz | Gigabyte GA-Z87x-UD3H | Silverstrone 850W | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 250GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Gigabyte Windforce Gtx 780s

So what is it you need help choosing? A sound card? Headphones? Or microphone? What's your budget?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I'd just get a dac/amp instead of a soundcard, honestly. it depends on your budget. 

So what is it you need help choosing? A sound card? Headphones? Or microphone? What's your budget?

Just updated post, Looking for headphones in the $100-250 price range

i5 4670k @ 4.6Ghz | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4) 2133MHz | Gigabyte GA-Z87x-UD3H | Silverstrone 850W | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 250GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Gigabyte Windforce Gtx 780s

I suggest purchasing a good pair of headphones first, and using the ZM-MIC1. There is an incredibly good deal for new HD 600s here if you're interested. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321024641629?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

As for a microphone, the ZM-MIC1 sounds better than the modmic at a third of the cost. Make sure to boost your microphone's gain 20/30dB within Windows and it will work like a charm when it's attached to the headphone's cable.

I'd just get a dac/amp instead of a soundcard, honestly. it depends on your budget. 

That's essentially what a lot of sound cards are, but I agree. There are plenty of options when it comes to external solutions.

I suggest purchasing a good pair of headphones first, and using the ZM-MIC1. There is an incredibly good deal for new HD 600s here if you're interested. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321024641629?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

As for a microphone, the ZM-MIC1 sounds better than the modmic at a third of the cost. Make sure to boost your microphone's gain 20/30dB within Windows and it will work like a charm when it's attached to the headphone's cable.

That is a pretty good deal on HD 600's although maybe something a little less expensive, what do you think of HD 558s

Just get the headphones, something less than $100 like these:

post-7799-0-97937300-1370497663_thumb.jp

This is a good place to start.  Use them with your onboard and don't look back.  I beg of you not to go blow $300 on headphones and soundcards on your first go-round.  Some of us just have a problem. 

That is a pretty good deal on HD 600's although maybe something a little less expensive, what do you think of HD 558s

558's will work too, anything under 80 Ohms impedance should be fine on most modern onboard chips.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Based on the 558's "normal" price of ~$250 the HD 600s are a nobrainer at $300.

Based on the 558's "normal" price of ~$250 the HD 600s are a nobrainer at $300.

Hmm I'll definately look into getting the funds together to maybe get them :) Thanks a lot for the help

Hmm I'll definately look into getting the funds together to maybe get them :) Thanks a lot for the help

Just a quick note, you probably meant to say audiophile rather than audiofile in the title. An audio file is completely different, they're what you listen to when you listen to your music library.  ;)

Just a quick note, you probably meant to say audiophile rather than audiofile in the title. An audio file is completely different, they're what you listen to when you listen to your music library.  ;)

OH LOL... umm I meant that as a pun at my noobie-ness... umm.. shit.

He's like one of Jerma's "baby sphees"

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Oh, that's pretty funny actually.  :lol: Just trying to be respectful in case you were serious though.

Enjoy playing your audiophiles with your new headphones.

For 250 AU/USD I would suggest the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (or Sennheiser HD 558) and then a FiiO E10. That should end up at about 200-250 USD/AU. They are very good for a "beginner audiophile" setup. If you can stretch your budget to 310 AU then get the Sennheiser HD600 Dave linked, but then you need to spend 310 dollars on the headphones, and then quite a bit on a proper DAC and an AMP as well, so it's a lot more expensive than the things I suggest.

For 250 AU/USD I would suggest the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (or Sennheiser HD 558) and then a FiiO E10. That should end up at about 200-250 USD/AU. They are very good for a "beginner audiophile" setup. If you can stretch your budget to 310 AU then get the Sennheiser HD600 Dave linked, but then you need to spend 310 dollars on the headphones, and then quite a bit on a proper DAC and an AMP as well, so it's a lot more expensive than the things I suggest.

Thank you very much for you suggestion, I'll definitely look into this as an option!

Audiophile*

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

I want to like your post for this...

...but I can't because of this! :o Surely the modmic doesn't sound 3 times better, but it's still better. The Zalman is "good enough" but the mere fact that you have to up the gain 20-30 dB should be some indication of it's quality.

Audiophile*

Way to read the thread before posting bro. :rolleyes:

I want to like your post for this...

...but I can't because of this! :o Surely the modmic doesn't sound 3 times better, but it's still better. The Zalman is "good enough" but the mere fact that you have to up the gain 20-30 dB should be some indication of it's quality.

I said a third of the price, and that it sounds better, but not three times better.  :P

The need for more gain is because of its distance from my mouth, it's meant to be closer.

I said a third of the price, and that it sounds better, but not three times better.  :P

The need for more gain is because of its distance from my mouth, it's meant to be closer.

But that's the thing, the Zalman isn't better, at least in my experience and other's experiences I've read. Quite a few ModMics are defective because of cheap OEM manufacturers being cheap, but AntLion's RMA service rocks.

Also, the Zalman isn't meant to be closer to your mouth - it's a clip-on mic for gahds sake!

But that's the thing, the Zalman isn't better, at least in my experience and other's experiences I've read. Quite a few ModMics are defective because of cheap OEM manufacturers being cheap, but AntLion's RMA service rocks.

Also, the Zalman isn't meant to be closer to your mouth - it's a clip-on mic for gahds sake!

ZM-MIC1: http://youtu.be/M78z6l_GFao?t=6m26s

ModMic 2.0: 

I guess it's personal preference, really. They are fairly similar.

Will give 'em a listen when I get home, but without even doing that I can shoot you down because those are three different people with three different setups and rooms. Also, not a big enough margin to rule out bad modmics. :P

Way to read the thread before posting bro. :rolleyes:

tl;dr for misspelling.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

ZM-MIC1: [yer terb]

ModMic 2.0: [yer terb] [yer terb]

I guess it's personal preference, really. They are fairly similar.

Lel, the guy trying out the Zalman is not using it as a clip-on. If you could ghetto rig the Zalman to be closer to you mouth, it'd be just as good, but then you have a ghetto rigged mic.

I'm having trouble finding a good comparison of the audio quality done by the same person.

Lel, the guy trying out the Zalman is not using it as a clip-on. If you could ghetto rig the Zalman to be closer to you mouth, it'd be just as good, but then you have a ghetto rigged mic.

I'm having trouble finding a good comparison of the audio quality done by the same person.

coat hanger mod for zalman or just modmic