Zotc GTX 960 AMP! 4GB vs. Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by catzambia,

Maybe I should just keep saving. I was just playing some Conquest with a guy with a 970 and he said i should just wait for a card even better than the 970 unless I have the money right now to buy the 970. Maybe I should keep saving up until I get into some really high end stuff?

Hmmm... Yeah, if you're happy with you're performance now, you may as well wait and see how things go with DirectX12, and if AMD wins dx12. :)

EDIT: I shouldn't say wins, since drivers can increase performance dramatically, but dx12 might still favor AMD gpus, we'll see.

So the time has finally come for me to get a new(er) GPU. I know what you're going to say: go for the 380, blah blah blah, it has more power, blah blah blah. Well my current card is the GTX 760. Great GPU, I like it very much, but I just want a little bit more power. I know the 960 actually provides quite the improvement while consuming WAY less power and outputting less heat, plus the one I want has 4GB of VRAM, another complaint I had as the 2GB 760 is barely enough (in terms of VRAM). So I am choosing between this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500375&cm_re=gtx_960_4gb_amp%21-_-14-500-375-_-Product

And this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202149&cm_re=380_nitro-_-14-202-149-_-Product

I like both coolers very much, perhaps the sexiest coolers I have seen on a GPU to date. I know the 380 is more powerful, but:

-I like Nvidia, and if I go with the 960 I don't have to get new drivers, yada yada yada.

-Less power consumption, puts less load on my slightly crappy PSU.

-Less heat output, my liquid cooler not only cools my CPU but also moves GPU air out as well, giving me room for a more power consuming CPU like the Xeon I plan on putting in (as the radiator has to handle both the CPU's heat and most of the GPU's heat)

-Cooler card means a quieter card and I hear (or not, no pun intended) the 960 has some 0dB fan thing? Or does the 380 as well?

But the 380 has it's advantages as well:

-$10 cheaper while performing better.

-I guess I get AMD's technologies if I switch over but IMO Nvidia's is way better ATM (besides DX12, but...).

Oh, and I plan on playing (not plan on, I already do.) at 1080p, 144Hz, medium to high settings in most games to actually achieve 100+ FPS. My main concern is power consumption (heat output) and the increase of VRAM. Games I play are BF4 (mainly this), ARMA II, CS:GO (in the future), GTA V (which is why I need the 4GB of VRAM), and the like. What should I go with? I have seen the videos and the comparisons, but I want your opinions. Thanks!

Edit: I also see the 2GB 960 AMP version, which is $190. What do you guys think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500370

R9 380.

You'll be able to use the full 4GB.

Or get a 285 ITX edition.

Really? I mean I run out of VRAM on my 760 before I fully utilize the power of it. 285 ITX? Is it more powerful or nah? Did they cut anything from the regular 285?

Really? I mean I run out of VRAM on my 760 before I fully utilize the power of it. 285 ITX? Is it more powerful or nah? Did they cut anything from the regular 285?

It's a full-fledged 285. It's just smaller and a bit more expensive but it's the full card.

What games do you run out of VRAM in?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I think so as well, but people really like the 380. So confused...  :wacko:

It's a full-fledged 285. It's just smaller and a bit more expensive but it's the full card.

What games do you run out of VRAM in?

Wow! Why is it $260?!!!

yeah i checked ;-;

it shot up in price for no reason

but still don't get a 4g 960, that poor 128-bit bus can't handle much more than 2.25gb of vram without a big bottleneck

Well it officially supports up to 9.5" but I can make it fit up to 10.5" (but only cards like reference coolers from Nvidia). But then a 285 still, it's kinda power hungry.

yeah i checked ;-;

it shot up in price for no reason

but still don't get a 4g 960, that poor 128-bit bus can't handle much more than 2.25gb of vram without a big bottleneck

Oh, I didn't know that. What about the 2GB version that's $190? It's the AMP one too so it has a pretty nice OC.

Well it officially supports up to 9.5" but I can make it fit up to 10.5" (but only cards like reference coolers from Nvidia). But then a 285 still, it's kinda power hungry.

honestly the 285 ain't that power hungry

it's like 52x better than the 280 in terms of how cool it stays

i'd go for a 380/285 because you can actually use the full 4gb

If you could get it to fit a blower 290 would get you gr8 performance.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Multimedia-Memory-Graphics-R9290D54G/dp/B00IQYYPUS/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&qid=1441240165&sr=8-52&keywords=r9+285 here's a 290 for 250

No no no no no. I had a reference GTX 760 in my case, that thing was hella loud. This one will be even worse. I am not aiming for the best performance for say, but more for the best noise, temps, cost, and performance. Like I said the 760 isn't that bad and I only want a pinch more power.

So it's come to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500370&cm_re=960-_-14-500-370-_-Product

960 2GB as he said 4GB, plus it's a nice cooler and pretty cheap, only a little more than the 950.

Or:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202151&cm_re=380-_-14-202-151-_-Product

This 380 gem that I just found. $5 more than the 960. Plus it's the ITX cooler like the 285.

If you're fine with 2gb, get that 380 man

OH, I didn't see that it was 2GB. Is it still worth the $5 over the 2GB 960?

Edit: LOL, who am I kidding, of course it is.