Looking for feedback on my first Rig

CaptainKips
Go to solution Solved by Thunder Down Under,

HEY! PERFECT!~

Yes, on my latest build choices, I factored in an SSD because of that. I was indeed unaware that those were the same processors.

Finally, someone's not tried to change my case lol. I know it's expensive for a case buuuut yeah.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the RAM. I was mostly using it for the look of it, buuuuut... yeah. (repetitive, I know.)

Intel: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CaptainKips/saved/ysZ7YJ

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.75 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1022.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-01 13:03 EDT-0400

AMD Alternative: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CaptainKips/saved/3jydnQ

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xQxtf7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xQxtf7/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($128.99 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($58.50 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($46.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $871.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-01 13:04 EDT-0400

There are my latest revisions for my "Kraken". I believe that will be the best way to go for me,

If there is anything else anyone would like to add, I'm still all ears.

Only one thing. You will have to do a bios update on the AMD board you have on that list and it will not be a good board if you plan to overclock at all so if don't want to do a bios update or if you want to overclock then try to fit a motherboard with a 990x or 990fx chipset in your budget but other than that it looks good.

I'm a little new at this, so...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CaptainKips/saved/KNGgXL

That's my build, per PCPartPicker.

Now, I should let it be known, I am looking to build a fully upgradeable, small budget gaming PC that can run games at medium settings at least. I'd like to also be able to process audio at reasonable quality, and occasionally do some light video editing, and /maybe/ a stream of a game every once in a while. (Not all at the same time.)

I'm not too awful savvy with all these different brands and types of things yet. I have done a bit of research and I believe this to be a decently beefy build. I could be wrong. That's where you - the community - come in. Thoughts/suggestions welcome. Flaming is not.

Hit me with it.

dont get the fx 6300, give me a second to build a way better build

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

your build looks fine but some small improvements can be made

• your cpu is not too bad but it doesnt have an upgrade path so maybe go with intel if you want to upgrade in the future
  • a cooler master 212 evo will do the job for only about $20
  • an ssd would make a big difference
  • go with a cheaper case as your current case is more expensive than your cpu (maybe corsair spec/100r/200r?)
  • you can save some money by going wiht an EVGA power supply

here this is significantly better PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($62.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($447.00 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Antec Green 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: Windows 10 from reddit ($50.00)
Total: $930.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-31 23:33 EDT-0400
Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

your build looks fine but some small improvements can be made

• your cpu is not too bad but it doesnt have an upgrade path so maybe go with intel if you want to upgrade in the future
  • a cooler master 212 evo will do the job for only about $20
  • an ssd would make a big difference
  • go with a cheaper case as your current case is more expensive than your cpu (maybe corsair spec/100r/200r?)
  • you can save some money by going wiht an EVGA power supply

I'll consider everything but the case. I know the case is expensive, but I did that on purpose, sorry. I really like the design of the case - a friend has it and I love it.

Other than that, thank you!

I'll consider everything but the case. I know the case is expensive, but I did that on purpose, sorry. I really like the design of the case - a friend has it and I love it.

Other than that, thank you!

yeah i do agree its a cool looking case

you should get some paint and paint it military style if thats your thing

here this is significantly better PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($62.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($447.00 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Antec Green 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: Windows 10 from reddit ($50.00)
Total: $930.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-31 23:33 EDT-0400

Alright, I'm going to do some research on this build real quick.

yeah i do agree its a cool looking case

you should get some paint and paint it military style if thats your thing

It definitely is. I was thinking of (since they discontinued them) painting one artic white, then doing a snow camo pattern, if I can manage it.

If nothing else, I want it white. Sad that they discontinued that color.

Alright, I'm going to do some research on this build real quick.

ok but just remember do not listen to fanboys

Spoiler

It definitely is. I was thinking of (since they discontinued them) painting one artic white, then doing a snow camo pattern, if I can manage it.

If nothing else, I want it white. Sad that they discontinued that color.

that sounds awesome

dont forget to show us when you are done :)

ok but just remember do not listen to fanboys

Believe me when I tell you my sources are very objective. 

I've been through that once before with the whole hp vs. asus thing going down between a group of techs I used to hang out with.

Even so, thanks for the heads up!

that sounds awesome

dont forget to show us when you are done :)

I surely will!

Believe me when I tell you my sources are very objective. 

I've been through that once before with the whole hp vs. asus thing going down between a group of techs I used to hang out with.

Even so, thanks for the heads up!

i only say that because i've ran into many hardcore amd fanboys, they wouldn't listen to a damn word i said

Spoiler

i only say that because i've ran into many hardcore amd fanboys, they wouldn't listen to a damn word i said

I believe it. My family is a family of Intel fanboys, I already caught wind from my brother from choosing AMD. Mostly did it because benchmark wasn't awful and it was only 80 bucks, but your build is like 70 dollars cheaper than mine, and you claim it to be better.

Like I said, I'm doing my own research on your parts vs. mine with reviews and actual specs, but, I'm always open to new suggestions.

Can I also ask, what do you think about adding 10 dollars and going up to the i5-4590?

Can I also ask, what do you think about adding 10 dollars and going up to the i5-4590?

well the performance difference will be minimal but if you live in the US and are near a microcenter you can get it for $159.99 which is $20 cheaper

Spoiler

I believe it. My family is a family of Intel fanboys, I already caught wind from my brother from choosing AMD. Mostly did it because benchmark wasn't awful and it was only 80 bucks, but your build is like 70 dollars cheaper than mine, and you claim it to be better.

Like I said, I'm doing my own research on your parts vs. mine with reviews and actual specs, but, I'm always open to new suggestions.

also here are some benchmarks between the fx and i core cpus http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Spoiler

well the performance difference will be minimal but if you live in the US and are near a microcenter you can get it for $159.99 which is $20 cheaper

I do live in the US, but nowhere near a microcenter, so the actual performance difference would not be much better/worse between the two?

I should have also specified, I'm not looking to overclock either, I don't know enough about that. I'll be looking into that with my next build later on.

So does that make a difference?

I do live in the US, but nowhere near a microcenter, so the actual performance difference would not be much better/worse between the two?

I should have also specified, I'm not looking to overclock either, I don't know enough about that. I'll be looking into that with my next build later on.

yeah the performance difference is not worth the extra money and neither of those 2 cpus can overclock

Spoiler

Thank you for that helpful post.

I'll reconsider my choice now.

EDIT: The benchmark link, I mean. Helped me by not only saving me from hunting them down individually, but also providing more info.

Thank you for that helpful post.

I'll reconsider my choice now.

EDIT: The benchmark link, I mean. Helped me by not only saving me from hunting them down individually, but also providing more info.

no problem, I'm here to help after all :)

Spoiler

no problem, I'm here to help after all :)

That graphics card /might/ be a bit OP for what I intend to do. 

That might be something I buy later when I can afford that price.

However, I revised my current build by comparing new items and my old items, as well as the ones you have on your list, and...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CaptainKips/saved/hvnBD3

That's what I came up with. Saves money, like 9 dollars more than yours, but good amount off from mine.

read my cpu overclocking guide. link in my forum signature.

BigDay

• for 1000 bucks you can afford intel. get an intel cpu instead
r9 380 performs better than the 960save money on the case and put that into performancepsu is overpriced for what it is. evga is cheaper and just as good

BigDay

this build blows your original one out of the water

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($193.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($63.48 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $938.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-01 02:12 EDT-0400

BigDay