Starcraft 2 not so popular among gamers?

SuperCactus

I just noticed that the games people usually talk about are... "Battlefield 4" "Shadows of Morder" "The Witcher 3" "GTA V" "CS:GO"

I almost never see typical "gamers" (besides those on the team liquid forum) talking about Starcraft 2?

So, what makes Starcraft 2 not appealing to the masses? It's a pretty fun RTS game, that's really competitive and has custom maps.

In fact, the last expansion is about to be released and I don't see much hype going on.

I'm sure it woulda been more appealing if each of the three races had something like this: 

lol

But tbh I don't really know, I had really liked SC:BW, though SCII:HotS just isn't quite as fun as SC:BW was..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It's too much work to get into.... 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Lol "shadows of mordor"

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Well, aside from the fact that at this point it's a 5 years old game and a lot of people have grown tired of it, it's considerably harder than most "popular" games out there. The casual gamer doesn't like to be roflstomped every match unless he practices constantly and makes an effort to learn strategy and mechanics. What's more, since it's a 1v1 game the pressure is all on you; if you loose, you're unmistakeably the one to blame. It's like wondering why not that many people are into chess.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

League of Legends happened.

Lol is a completely different game. I don't consider it as a direct competitor to sc2 any more than it is a direct competitor to quake 3.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Lol is a completely different game. I don't consider it as a direct competitor to sc2 any more than it is a direct competitor to quake 3.

As much as many people want to say that, league literally destroyed sc2 from everyone I speak to who used to play sc religiously.

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

It's an old game, and MOBAs have pretty much all but eliminated the RTS genre.  It's a shame really.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Starcraft 2 is pretty much the only game I play. It's a little bit more challenging thought-wise.

I quit playing Starcraft in HotS because I was getting tired of it too, But I recently came back when they increased the starting workers from 6 to 12, plus the LotV beta came out, and they've been changing a lot stuff. It barely feels like the same game anymore.

I kinda hope it has a comeback because nobody really cares about this game anymore except for a minority niche.

I also hope they can make it more casual-friendly so that people don't "roflstomp" you, as you say. I heard they're trying to change those things, too.

Uhm, no shit the games are different. Not entirely sure how you took that angle from my comment. Let me explain...

League of Legends did a much better job at appealing to the masses than SC2 managed. It was more accessible to casual players, and much more fun to watch on Twitch or YouTube. The rise of the moba almost certainly helped to diminish the interest in SC2.

The fact that the RTS genre has pretty much gone dormant(there's no such thing as a dying genre) is really hurting it.

The interest in RTS games are very small since the market is empty, the recent great RTS games can be counted on a single hand, and even that's a stretch. It kinda loses relevancy because of that, there's barely any games it can be compared to, so it's very easy to forget. Starcraft 2 isn't the problem, it's the lack of competitors. Honestly, it's pretty weird considering the technology is much better now than they were back in the days of the golden RTS games, yet today's games pales in comparison.

For reference, look at roguelikes. They used to be popular, but lost popularity and was forgotten, now in more recent years there have been some great roguelikes and the genre is back. Fighters are also worth mentioning, they're "repetitive", but has still managed to stay relevant to this day, partly because there's always competition between the big games.

I'm not saying this is the only reason, but it plays a big part.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

I used to play Wings of Liberty with friends until another group of friends pulled me into Dota. It kept the competitive spirit, was made for more people to play together and felt more slower paced and relaxed. I remember playing Wings of Liberty with four friends and one would be killed early on and would have to wait for us to finish the game, which isn't very fun. Dota also felt a lot more fluid, and less '10 drone, scout, 15 drone expand, spawning pool'.

Now I'm more into Heroes of the Storm which is far less stressful than Dota and has far quicker games. So I guess Blizzard won me over in the end.

Used to play it a lot.  made it into the gold league on solo and 2v2 with a pal.  Gold isn't much, but we worked hard to get there lol.  40 minute matches really started to wear on me.  Its hard to commit that much uninterrupted time for 1 match.  Its amazingly fun when your strategy is working good or when your having a good match with your opponent.  But when you get roflstomped over and over, not so fun anymore.

These days I tend to play single player games where I can stop at a whim and not worry about it.  Also I try to catch D3 each new season for about a month.

As much as many people want to say that, league literally destroyed sc2 from everyone I speak to who used to play sc religiously.

Not me. Either way that's because something like sc2 requires a lot of your free time to play well, if you want to do other things (say, play lol) you may have to give it up.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Uhm, no shit the games are different. Not entirely sure how you took that angle from my comment. Let me explain...

League of Legends did a much better job at appealing to the masses than SC2 managed. It was more accessible to casual players, and much more fun to watch on Twitch or YouTube. The rise of the moba almost certainly helped to diminish the interest in SC2.

And by being a lot more casual it got rid of what makes sc2 compelling: the competition. Heroes of the storm does it a lot better imo, at least it doesn't pretend to be something it's not and is genuinely fun to play.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well SC2 is in a niche place tbh.

Its not ur typical RTS, its more a twitch action RTS, fast passed.

Classic RTS's were slow, purely strategy based, no twitch (micro) manoeuvres.

Its a good game, I played it, but for the campaign. Once that was finished I stopped playing. I'll get LotV when it comes out, again for the campaign. I like watching Lagtv and its SC2 vids, so its not like I hate the game, its just not my style. If I want to play a RTS, ill play a classic RTS like C&C or TA.

Think out back in the day, if ur old enough, of C&C, that RTS was never not talked about, it was always in the gaming air so to speak, because it was a pure RTS.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

And by being a lot more casual it got rid of what makes sc2 compelling: the competition. Heroes of the storm does it a lot better imo, at least it doesn't pretend to be something it's not and is genuinely fun to play.

You seem to have some resentment towards league of legends or something. Haha. While you might want to argue about which game is better. All I've said is that league of legends is way more popular, and the rise of the mobo coincided with the decrease in popularity of SC2.

Which is a direct response to the OP's question. Why is sc2 not popular with the masses? Because most people that did or would play sc2, have moved onto playing mobas and have brought their friends and new players with them.

You seem to have some resentment towards league of legends or something. Haha. While you might want to argue about which game is better. All I've said is that league of legends is way more popular, and the rise of the mobo coincided with the decrease in popularity of SC2.

Which is a direct response to the OP's question. Why is sc2 not popular with the masses? Because most people that did or would play sc2, have moved onto playing mobas and have brought their friends and new players with them.

Wouldn't call it resentment, I just don't particularly like it as a game. I still think the decrease in popularity is more due to the age of the game itself; it is a coincidence that lol hit the scene in that period of time. It's not like playing mobas precludes you from playing sc2

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Starcraft was never popular because the learning curve

Micro managing is hard yo.

it got so many attention because e-sport which only relevant on korea

it's like peer presured

I play warcraft, I play c&c, but starcraft is way higher level than that.

on technical issue

it's BLIZZARD

they are like "we make good games" but they only focus on US based only and on top of that, Subscription fee.