No output from motherboard audio jack. Possibly broken?

jscho

Hey all.

I was listening to music a short while ago, and this is how my cables are set up.

Motherboard > 2 metre 3.5mm cable > female to female 3.5mm adapter > headphones (because the cable on my headphones is super short and no stores nearby had a 3.5 extension)

And when I want to use my speakers, which is what I was did just before, I switch the cables around.

Motherboard > 2 metre 3.5mm cable > female to female 3.5mm adapter > cable to speakers > speakers.

When I went to connect the speakers to the adapter, it detached, no worries. I went to plug it back onto the long cable, and I felt a buzz of electricity on the jack when I touched it. No more output.

The only output I get is when you're doing that channel test in the sound control panel? Yeah, when testing the channels it's all buzzy and just shit.

Dead jack? I may have shorted it.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Why do you guys unplug and plug stuff while the PC is on...i just don't get it. Only with USB devices is that okay as USB is normally set to partial initialization.

Yes it is fried. You can how ever get a USB dac <----- loved by my cousin.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Did you check to make sure Windows is outputting to the correct device? If it really is broken, you can always get a soundcard or a USB DAC. They can both be kind of expensive, but better than mobo audio (if you even care about that sort of thing).

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Why do you guys unplug and plug stuff while the PC is on...i just don't get it. Only with USB devices is that okay as USB is normally set to partial initialization.

Yes it is fried. You can how ever get a USB dac <----- loved by my cousin.

Figured an audio jack was as hot swap as hot swap gets. I've got other ways of getting audio, just wanted to make sure that it was busted before I go fishing behind all the ties behind my desk to get at the cables.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Figured an audio jack was as hot swap as hot swap gets. I've got other ways of getting audio, just wanted to make sure that it was busted before I go fishing behind all the ties behind my desk to get at the cables.

Most people think so until something like this happens...you are not the first ^_^ ....once electricity hits the port, it is fried in most cases but be sure it is the MOBO and not the headphones and or the speakers. Check them in on different devices if you can.

Most people think so until something like this happens...you are not the first ^_^ ....once electricity hits the port, it is fried in most cases but be sure it is the MOBO and not the headphones and or the speakers. Check them in on different devices if you can.

Speakers and headphones working fine. Tried 3 pairs plugging directly into the jack. Well and truly dead haha.

Speakers and headphones working fine. Tried 3 pairs plugging directly into the jack. Well and truly dead haha.

Okay. Now you know...unless it is a USB plug and play device, shut your PC down before plugging in any gear.