VOTE: Sapphire OR MSI R9 390

OrrinB

This is a new build and stuck between these two cards. Please vote which you suggest and give one or two good compelling reasons for your answer. Please don't recommend any other card or start talking about any other card. My budget is limited to the 390 or 970 which is my price point (but we all know the 390 is better than the 970).

sapphire

/thread

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Sapphire 

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Sapphire

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Msi 390. Nicely binned. Good VRM temps, alright core temps. And excellent cooler.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Sapphire. They only produce AMD cards, so they know how to do it :D

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

it depends on what you want. the 390 club over at overclock.net have kinda verified about the overclokability. Sapphire did kinda bad compare to msi but still not bad, But it's cooling is crazy and good. BUT, to me it is a big big but, sapphire does not offers backplate. Biggest drawback to me. Msi on the other hand is very freaking good at overclocking and like most of us got to overclock well.

so basically comes down to few things,

Sapphire 390 ---> awesome cooling even cooler than a 970 idle or load. Mid level overclocking. NO backplate. Cheaper by a bit. Blue led on bios switch that cnt be turn off.

Msi 390 ----> Awesome vram cooling, overall cooling lose a bit. Good overclocking ability. Backplate. white led on logo that can be turn off. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1561704/official-amd-r9-390-390x-owners-club

read from here will be better.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

I'd say MSI, but if you can strech it I'd go for the Sapphire R9 Fury(non-X) if you're in the USA. It has a backplate, awesome cooling, and decent OC ability.

Saphire

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

The cheaper one.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I'd say MSI, but if you can strech it I'd go for the Sapphire R9 Fury(non-X) if you're in the USA. It has a backplate, awesome cooling, and decent OC ability.

"Please don't recommend any other card or start talking about any other card"

Lmao. Read the thread before you post man.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

"Please don't recommend any other card or start talking about any other card"

Lmao. Read the thread before you post man.

Relax dude. He gave his recommendation with a side comment.

Big deal.

@op I'd do msi personally. The guys at overclock.net are suggesting the msi 390x is about the best of them available and the tf5 cooler is a beast.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I have an R9 270x from MSI and it's temps are fine. 

However I'd say Sapphire. They only produce cards for AMD so they know what they're doing!  :P

Judging from the responses it seems a lot of people recommend the sapphire but the reasons to go with an MSI is also equally recommended. Most of you have your minds made up on which to go with but sadly for me I'm still on the fence. Sigh. I'm putting a lot of money into this build and I want to get it right.

Thank you everybody for your responses! Your insight and information is greatly appreciated! But I'm leaning towards the MSI as it stands right now. Mainly for the backplate, OCability, and dependable cooling (if the cooling was horrid then Sapphire would be the obvious choice). But then again Sapphire has outstanding cooling and less expensive by about $20-$30 but that I can deal with. Then again I've always been indecisive and usually walk out of a Blockbuster (when they existed) empty handed. Sigh.

I currently have an MSI R9 390X, so I will say that MSI has a custom PCB on their 390 and 390X series, if i'm wrong feel free to correct me on that. However, I do love that the MSI *does* have a higher clock from the factory, which is great if you are new to overclocking or are having problems getting a stable overclock (like me...). Price wise I don't see any difference, but if you are looking to get into a custom watercooling loop the Sapphire might be a better pick since most of the current 390 and 390X makers are re-using the same PCB from the 290 and 290X cards. That makes it easy to pick up an aftermarket cooler, although I will say both cards are a great buy if you're price per dollar oriented, you can't go wrong with either one.

What did it for me was the MSI 390X I purchased had a higher factory clock, a beastly cooler, and a custom PCB that made it feel less of a re-brand and more of a re-fresh. However, now that I'm looking into putting together a parts list for water cooling I'm very sad that no one seems to be willing to make a full cover block for my MSI 390X.

Your mileage may vary, but I believe that both are great buys! Also choose one you think matches your aesthetics.

If you can answer these questions you will buy once and cry once (for joy! :D):

1.) Needs vs. Wants. (What do I need the card to do? Do I really need a new card? And what do I want the card to do?)

2.) Budget. (How much pain can my wallet endure in order to get a card that meets my needs and fills my wants?)

3.) Raw performance. (What can it do?)

4.) Performance per dollar. (How much will it cost for it to do what it can do? aka Is there anyone who can do the same, cheaper?)

5.) Cooling performance. (How cool can it be while it's doing what it's doing?)

6.) Brand. (I'm a loyal person.  ;) Buy a brand you trust and respect.)

7.) Aesthetics. (Can it do what you need it to do... and still look good doing it?)

Answer these and it will save you a lot of hassle. Many people regret purchases because they cannot adequately answer question number 1. Needs vs. Wants. I upgraded from my PCS HD 7870 Ghz for two main 'Need' reasons: It was starting to show it's age, as I played through Metro 2033 Redux I started to notice artifacting and stuttering and I'm one of those that doesn't like to back down on my graphical fidelity (yet I still have a 4 year old 1080p monitor. :D) so it was really impacting my playing experience. The second reason is I think it was on the decline after years of faithful service, as it was causing non-gaming issues with my monitor; upon replacement my monitor issues ceased. My main 'Want' reason was that I wanted a card with lots of VRAM to keep track of *all* my Skyrim mods. Other reasons were i wanted a card that can play demanding AAA titles at 1080p at respectable frame rates with one card, and when the time comes to upgrade to a 1440P or 4K display i wanted a card that could crossfire easily and produce results: mainly 50-60 FPS on AAA titles when on medium to high settings at 4K.

I did this same list when I purchased my MSI R9 390X. It met my needs and wants, budget, had the highest performance of 390Xs from other mfgs, had a beast cooler, was from a brand I trusted, and looked damn good while doing all of it.

A month later and I haven't been disappointed!