ASUS GTX 980 ti strix recalled?

martiman000
Go to solution Solved by JSG509,

The card was delayed do to some issues but it has now been good to go for a while now and comes up in stock regularly.  Not sure how close you have been watching this card but this really is old news unless this was just stated some ware and I didn't catch it.  Also this card is selling like crazy and sells out almost instantly with people having great cards out of the box.  Also the way Newegg works is if it sells out they let you back order it because they have more coming in and if you are on the email me when it becomes available you will not get that email in time to place an order because it will be sold out.  I know Because I purchased 2 a while back from them and I got lucky that I was checking the stock almost every 5 mins, and I still check the stock for luls. 

So I heard a rumor that the asus gtx 980 ti strix got recalled due to problems including the heatsink not being adecuate for the 980 tI, bu rather asus was simply re-using r9 heatsinks and as a result of that the 980 ti was giving bad temperatures as well as other glitches?

And if so, does anyone know if the 980 ti strix that are re-launching tomorrow on newegg are a revised version or the same?

I ask this because I wanted to buy a 980 ti g1 gaming from gigabyte but the asus in cheaper and has higher clock speeds from the get go. Thanks guys

rather asus was simply re-using r9 heatsinks and as a result of that the 980 ti was giving bad temperatures as well as other glitches

I have lost all trust in Asus if that statement is true.

I have lost all trust in Asus if that statement is true.

Don't take my word for it, I have just heard things like that on youtube, and also in a few reddit threads an other sites, and I also noticed that in newegg the card was avaliable and than it wasn't, but it didn't say out of stock but rather pre-order and gave a date for release. I might be wrong very wrong, but I've heard that using heatsinks that don't fit perfectly is not a new thing for asus, they've done it at least once before

The card was delayed do to some issues but it has now been good to go for a while now and comes up in stock regularly.  Not sure how close you have been watching this card but this really is old news unless this was just stated some ware and I didn't catch it.  Also this card is selling like crazy and sells out almost instantly with people having great cards out of the box.  Also the way Newegg works is if it sells out they let you back order it because they have more coming in and if you are on the email me when it becomes available you will not get that email in time to place an order because it will be sold out.  I know Because I purchased 2 a while back from them and I got lucky that I was checking the stock almost every 5 mins, and I still check the stock for luls. 

i7 5820k, Asus Deluxe x99 3.1 board, 2 Strix980tis Sli, Intel 480gb SSD, 4T WD Black, Asus PG278Q, Acer xb271hu, UpDesk! 

The card was delayed do to some issues but it has now been good to go for a while now and comes up in stock regularly. Not sure how close you have been watching this card but this really is old news unless this was just stated some ware and I didn't catch it. Also this card is selling like crazy and sells out almost instantly with people having great cards out of the box.

Ufff, thanks man. I haven't been following the strix closely mostly because I do t like the way it looks, but I have looked up its specs and the things asus claims that make it special, lime the fact that the card is mostly produced without human intervention for the most part. But thanks, I figure since ek already has a full cover waterblock for this card unlike the gigabyte 980 to g1, I rather get the asus and water cool it to get rid of the ugly heatsink.

I just have zero trust in ASUS. Their customer service is total crap from my experience, they repeatedly put out products with defects and problems. They seem to repeatedly cheap out on things that will predictably cause problems, and they ridiculously overcharge on many of their most defect prone and poorly performing products. The problems they have are repeated over and over again, which means its not by accident, they intentionally cheap out knowing suckers will buy it anyway.

I mean how many f'n times have they released a GPU with ill fitting heat pipes. It seems like virtually ever card they put out has this problem.

For a while they had a reputation for charging more but using high quality components so you got something high end for your money. Now it seems like you pay for a high end product but get a cheap piece of shit more often than not.

It really is just a totally shit company.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

I just have zero trust in ASUS. Their customer service is total crap from my experience, they repeatedly put out products with defects and problems. They seem to repeatedly cheap out on things that will predictably cause problems, and they ridiculously overcharge on many of their most defect prone and poorly performing products. The problems they have are repeated over and over again, which means its not by accident, they intentionally cheap out knowing suckers will buy it anyway.

I mean how many f'n times have they released a GPU with ill fitting heat pipes. It seems like virtually ever card they put out has this problem.

For a while they had a reputation for charging more but using high quality components so you got something high end for your money. Now it seems like you pay for a high end product but get a cheap piece of shit more often than not.

It really is just a totally shit company.

ASUS can make really good gear... but their customer service/service after the sell is really quite bad.

Anyone seen Windows 10 drivers for their sound cards yet..? or are they just going to release a new card for Windows 10.

They have had a shit load of qc controls with the 980ti cooler.

We all knew this from the beginning. Gaps in heat pipes, poor contact with gpu, etc etc list goes on.

Dc3 is shit anyways no one should buy Asus gpus.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

As much Love that there is For Asus there is just as much hate.  I can only speak for my self and say I have never had any issues with Asus products that were not instantly taken care of.  Now is the strix 980ti the best in its class, No. But if you like the looks of the card and the overall performance for the price its still worth giving a shot. I will also agree that Asus quality control is lacking at the moment but it still doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of happy customers.   Also It would be nice to hear from people who actually owned a strix980ti and not just opinions on what your overall stance is against Asus.  I my self Think the card is squared away and stays cool enough, but you do need to tweak the fan curb so the fans kick in earlier and even then the card is quite and stays cool. 

i7 5820k, Asus Deluxe x99 3.1 board, 2 Strix980tis Sli, Intel 480gb SSD, 4T WD Black, Asus PG278Q, Acer xb271hu, UpDesk!