Two fans one Splitter

AgahPT

Hi,

I've begun upgrading my case with some new fans and i bought some PWM Y Splitters, I know that i can only monitor one of the fans connected to the Y.

My question is: Does it make sense to buy NON PWN fans (about 40% cheaper) to attach to the non monitored Y connection since the monitoring wouldn't work anyway.

The final configuration would look like:

         +------------+                     |            |                     |  MB HEADER |                     |            |                     +------------+                            |                         +-------------------+              |                   |       +------------+     +-------------+ |            |     |             | |   PWM FAN  |     |   NON PWM   | |            |     |             | +------------+     +-------------+ 

Yes,But speed control won't be possible unless,your mobo supports voltage control 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

if it get's to loud you can do this.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PWM FAN

Motherboard connector---------------|

|-----------Voltage stepdown (low noise adapter)------------------ 3pin fan

I'll be using my MB (ASUS Z87-PLUS) headers and AFIK the only "real PWM" headers are the CPU and CPU_OPT headers all the others just shoot 5V over the 4th pin. 

Can anyone confirm this?

4pin is probably all PWM because you can plug a 3pin fan in a 4pin connector and vice versa. I don't think that 5V is the voltage it outputs. most fans start above 6V and the nominal voltage is 12V

4pin is probably all PWM because you can plug a 3pin fan in a 4pin connector and vice versa. I don't think that 5V is the voltage it outputs. most fans start above 6V and the nominal voltage is 12V

I better stick a multimeter there to check that out for real :)