AMD Build - Bottleneck

Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,

@Martyr you need to try to overclock both CPU and GPU, also verify if your RAM is set up properly and your drivers are up to date.

Hi guys, my setup is:

CPU: FX-6300 Black Edition

GPU: Gigabyte R7-260X OC 1GB (Reference)

RAM: Fury HyperX 8GB 1600MHz

HDD: 250GB HDD WD Blue SATA III

PSU: 530W Smart SE Thermaltake

MBO: Asus M5A 78L-M LX3

So the problem comes when I run Witcher 3 or Dying Light, I get 30-40 FPS all on low on 1680x1050 res; but when I go to YouTube I see people running those games with same GPU on high or so, so is it possible that there is some serious bottleneck? Can I overclock something to reduce bottleneck? Is reference card that much weaker? Thank you for help. :)

Here are links to YouTube videos I mentioned:

My GPU l​ooks like this:

post-161113-0-27917900-1440627475.jpg

You are screwed with your current CPU RIP in peace.

But really, an overclock will help, but I would reccomend a H97 board and either i5 4460 or i3 4160.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

You're going to get a bottleneck on lower resolutions because there's more load on the CPU then GPU you can overclock to reduce it though

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

your gpu is not powerful enough

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

if anyone says a fx6300 bottlnecks a 260, I'll lose any and all respect.

OP, I run it on high with my 750ti. which I thought is the same tier card as yours. id check and see if any CPU core is maxed out, and see if your GPU is maxed out while in game

You are screwed with your current CPU RIP in peace.

But really, an overclock will help, but I would reccomend a H97 board and either i5 4460 or i3 4160.

No. Not in The Witcher 3 it's not the CPU I'm 100% positive. I ran TW3 with an Athlon II X4 750k @4,5gHz with a GTX 970 for a while until I got my new CPU, and it ran just fine, 50-70 FPS on high/ultra mix of the settings. And the 6300 is better than 750k.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

@Martyr you need to try to overclock both CPU and GPU, also verify if your RAM is set up properly and your drivers are up to date.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

who in their right mind thinks that a fx6300 bottlenecks a 260x? get a clue people. you could but an r9 380 with the 6300 and be fine.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

who in their right mind thinks that a fx6300 bottlenecks a 260x? get a clue people. you could but an r9 380 with the 6300 and be fine.

people see amd and assume it can hardly run a calculator. for 1080P60fps most cases it still works just fine. theres a place still for em. granted, its for the lower end, but its not like it simply cant play games. 

@HoiDaniel, no I haven't overclocked anything...

@FatPenguin, those 2 video prove that it should be enough for my needs :D

@Kyuubixchidori, I checked and usage of GPU is 98-99%, CPU is around 50%

@Morgan MLGman, my drivers are up to date, and I checked RAM for defects, windows tool says it's O.K. :D

@Emanuel_M, 720p on 20" Monitor looks ugly.

And as always thanks for your help, I will try with overclocking CPU and Vice Versa. PC is 2 weeks old, I bought it new for 300$.

@HoiDaniel, no I haven't overclocked anything...

@FatPenguin, those 2 video prove that it should be enough for my needs :D

@Kyuubixchidori, I checked and usage of GPU is 98-99%, CPU is around 50%

@Morgan MLGman, my drivers are up to date, and I checked RAM for defects, windows tool says it's O.K. :D

@Emanuel_M, 720p on 20" Monitor looks ugly.

And as always thanks for your help, I will try with overclocking CPU and Vice Versa. PC is 2 weeks old, I bought it new for 300$.

then get a new GPU if you want better numbers duh.

@Emanuel_M I just said that this PC is 2 weeks old, I am not going to buy new GPU, yes I know that buying new GPU would solve problem, no one needs to tell me that.

And to other helpers which actually know what they are talking about, overclocking helped, though I need new CPU cooler... Thank you!

@Emanuel_M I just said that this PC is 2 weeks old, I am not going to buy new GPU, yes I know that buying new GPU would solve problem, no one needs to tell me that.

And to other helpers which actually know what they are talking about, overclocking helped, though I need new CPU cooler... Thank you!

Although you might only get 4.0-4.5 because of the board power phase, it's not enough to completely OC a 6300. You may need to cool the VRMs too as they may get hot if you OC'd your 6300.

To answer your original question, there would be no way that a 6300 would bottleneck a 260X as the highest GPU you can go is Tahiti on a 6300/8350. 

There is no way a 260 can be bottlenecked by a 6300, thats just your card, a little overclock could help, but dont expect for miracles.

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

I'm running my fx6300 paired with a gtx 960 and neither bottlenecks the other, it's almost a perfect balance. considering the gtx960 is about equal to a 280x there's no way it's a cpu bottleneck 

Hi guys, my setup is:

CPU: FX-6300 Black Edition

GPU: Gigabyte R7-260X OC 1GB (Reference)

RAM: Fury HyperX 8GB 1600MHz

HDD: 250GB HDD WD Blue SATA III

PSU: 530W Smart SE Thermaltake

MBO: Asus M5A 78L-M LX3

You should have spen the extra 40 dollars on a 270x.

@Photogenic, R7 260X and R9 270X are same price here, but I screwed up, I didn't even knew that GPU exists until ~5 days ago...