How hard is an electrical engineering degree?

Ionizer

well i want to take it so i can take over my dad's engineering firm. I was wondering if any of you guys have done it andhave some advice and stuff for me :P i love physics and i'm ok with math but really love engineering in general.

15 4670K, Hyper TX3 Evo, MSI - Z97 GD-65, GTX 750ti, 8Gb Ripjaws G.Skill, Graphite 230T

YOU WHAT M9?! MY GPU IS BEAST

well i want to take it so i can take over my dad's engineering firm. I was wondering if any of you guys have done it andhave some advice and stuff for me :P i love physics and i'm ok with math but really love engineering in general.

you are in for a treat! (if you REALY love maths and physics calculations)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Pretty hard

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Thankfully you'll learn pretty quick how to calculate the resistance the course material will give you

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The best thing I can say about engineering is that the accuracy of the answer is dependent on you. There is only one answer, and how exact it is depends on the quality of your measuring equipment. If you want to talk about close enough, and your feelings, go do biology instead. As to how hard the course material is, that depends entirely on you. Read ahead, Make sure you have a good grasp on the theory, and you'll do fine.

I am going to talk to the dean in the morning.

Halfway through third year, just violated academic probation.

I would say if you have a good work ethic its not too bad. Since I started I have logged > 2500 of hours in dota and smite. That has killed me.

expect to study for ~1.5-2 times your hours per week of class to do quite well. if you have 20 hours of courses per week, expect 30-40 hours of studying per week if you want to graduate with honors and be on all of the lists and such.

Edit: I am an idiot. I am in good academic standing. I thought I was getting kicked out. turns out I just don't know how to calculate a GPA and I'm actually doing fine (The uni just switched to a different grading scale).

You should do what you want to do. That is the first piece of advice. I say this because any subject instantly becomes 10 times harder if you don't enjoy learning about it.

Do you know exactly what is involved with electrical engineering, and also what exactly your fathers company is involved with? BTW, when I say exactly, I mean that you aren't confusing electrical engineering with something similar like electronic engineering.

If you are anyway unsure on the type of engineering you like, I would advise you to try get in on a open engineering course so that you can choose a specific branch of engineering after one year.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

If you're not targeting a job that requires grades in general like being a lawyer or a doctor then you shouldn't really be running in the rat race. Engineering is all about solving problems and studying gives you the knowledge where to find solutions for those problems rather than knowing them on the spot especially in the era of internet.

Employers in such industries look for candidates with a degree but at least at my country they don't especially look at the grades. So unless you need them for scholarship to support yourself you don't need to hide yourself all day in the books.

Save some time on hard studying of theory and develop a hobby close to the industry or get a on site practice/training in a company. Don't go to your father's company first, try to look somewhere else. Don't waste your time on student organisations, join some technical club.

As for the course - I can't say for sure how hard is that since it depends on the country and I've studied applied it that had partially unified course with electrical engineering, electronics and automatics at my school but mostly the hard stuff overlapped.

Math and physics from school are quite on a different level than at engineering. There's a lot of hard stuff you won't ever use and there's a lot of stuff you need to learn yourself to even understand what the professors are talking about to you. Hardest thing is figuring out what is worth studying and what's not and that's true not only for math and physics.

If you're not targeting a job that requires grades in general like being a lawyer or a doctor then you shouldn't really be running in the rat race. Engineering is all about solving problems and studying gives you the knowledge where to find solutions for those problems rather than knowing them on the spot especially in the era of internet.

Employers in such industries look for candidates with a degree but at least at my country they don't especially look at the grades. So unless you need them for scholarship to support yourself you don't need to hide yourself all day in the books.

Same here. Employers only look for overall graduation grade (first class honours, second class grade one, etc.) when you are getting your first job. Once you get a bit of experience, that will stand to you a lot more.

Save some time on hard studying of theory and develop a hobby close to the industry or get a on site practice/training in a company.

Agreed. Engineering is so broad that finding an engineering hobby that you could consider getting involved in (practical applications), would do much more for you than being theoretically good in a lot of different subjects.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Its hard is you put in shit all effort and its easy if you work your ass off. It also depends on college/Uni 

It is as hard as you want to make it.

Soooo i just passed my bachelor study in electronic and electric engineering (grade A) and the master study will start in three weeks.

To be good you have to spend a half day per weekend for learning. But simply to pass you can work way less.

To be good at math helps, but you also need a very abstract and logic way of thinking. Also you need to enjoy acurate and demanding work. Gambling is not an oprion by designing an emergency break!

On the other hand the work is extremly interesting and you never have to do the exact same job twice. I really do like that.

As for your situation. Don't work all you live long in the same company. The focus in different companies is on different parts in engineering and you will gain a lot of skills by changeing every 5-20 years.

BUT the most important part is: Beeing a good engineer is only lose correlated to beeing a good manager of a company. That's a different job.

I do like to apeoject leader, but I don't like to rule the company. To much paper work and to less engineering :)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil