Can you move Windows?

Matt_Twinkletoes

I want to get an SSD but can I move windows and my desired games off my HDD and to the SSD for faster speeds?

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

^^

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You can directly move game files as I do for games. And for the OS get a cloning software (some OEMs include it for their SSDs).

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

If you got a Samsung (other brands probably do this too, but this is what I have experience with), their SSD's come with a disc that includes a cloning software.  You can clone everything over.

HOWEVER my suggestion is to start on a fresh copy of Windows, as then you can allocate programs to go to your SSD or hard drive (if you're even keeping it).  I only keep my most used programs on my SSD (including Windows).  Steam is on the SSD, but when you go to download a game you can set it to download to your hard drive.  

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Move windows you say? Should be possible, depending on the size and number of people you have to help you...

Joking aside, will need to clone the drive. Very easy to do with the right software. 

post-108407-0-71722200-1440520971_thumb.

post-108407-0-71722200-1440520971_thumb.

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

If you got a Samsung (other brands probably do this too, but this is what I have experience with), their SSD's come with a disc that includes a cloning software.  You can clone everything over.

HOWEVER my suggestion is to start on a fresh copy of Windows, as then you can allocate programs to go to your SSD or hard drive (if you're even keeping it).  I only keep my most used programs on my SSD (including Windows).  Steam is on the SSD, but when you go to download a game you can set it to download to your hard drive.  

I'm getting a 500gb ssd and i plan on putting the hdd away in my closet until i need it. But how do I start on a "fresh copy of windows"

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

I'm getting a 500gb ssd and i plan on putting the hdd away in my closet until i need it. But how do I start on a "fresh copy of windows"

I believe the Windows disk has a restore function or something.. It has been a while.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

how big is the ssd and how big is the hdd?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

how big is the ssd and how big is the hdd?

500GB / 1TB

500GB / 1TB

is the hdd full..or more then 500gb full?

is the hdd full..or more then 500gb full?

no the ssd is 500b and the hdd is 1tb

no the ssd is 500b and the hdd is 1tb

yea...how full is the hdd?

yea...how full is the hdd?

700gb free of 930gb

Keep in mind that cloning has a high failure rate if the drives are different.

You are better off installing Windows new on you SSD, and copy your stuff from the HDD to SSD

700gb free of 930gb

ok good

you could clone the drive...but really a clean install to the ssd is the better option

if you can't do that right now..then clone the drive with acronis trueimage..it can auto size the partitions even if they are different sizes

ok good

you could clone the drive...but really a clean install to the ssd is the better option

if you can't do that right now..then clone the drive with acronis trueimage..it can auto size the partitions even if they are different sizes

okay I spoke with a windows support guy and I had no idea that you could do a clean install of windows, I though the key was invalid after you used it once..