I'm new and I'm confused. Please help me.

Drewbydrew

Hey there!

So originally I was going to go with this build for my new little mini gaming rig. I was all set to go with it, until someone mentioned that I might want to go with this graphics card instead of this one. To me, they look pretty much the same, and forking over an extra $25 for a 0.03GHz clock speed increase didn't make much sense, but I told him I'd think about it and I thought I would ask you kind people over here what you thought about it, because hey, I'm new and maybe I missed something. 

But then, when I came to this section of the site, I saw this post, which basically makes it sound like I'm a stupid idiot for choosing a GTX 970 over an R9 390 and now I'm all confused.  :wacko:

My rig will be used for medium gaming at 1080p (and maybe later 1440p, but not in the near future).

What should I get? A 970? A 390? Something else?  :blink:

This is where I'm at so far, build-wise.

Stealthy edit: After about 30 seconds of double-checking, it turns out the card I have in my build is 280mm, when the support page for the case says it can only support up to 279mm. So, I guess if I'm going with a 970, I'm going with the one my friend recommended, because it's 11mm shorter.

Hey there!

So originally I was going to go with this build for my new little mini gaming rig. I was all set to go with it, until someone mentioned that I might want to go with this graphics card instead of this one. To me, they look pretty much the same, and forking over an extra $25 for a 0.03GHz clock speed increase didn't make much sense, but I told him I'd think about it and I thought I would ask you kind people over here what you thought about it, because hey, I'm new and maybe I missed something. 

But then, when I came to this section of the site, I saw this post, which basically makes it sound like I'm a stupid idiot for choosing a GTX 970 over an R9 390 and now I'm all confused.  :wacko:

My rig will be used for medium gaming at 1080p (and maybe later 1440p, but not in the near future).

i would go for 970 unless you want to crossfire in the future

but it depends on the games you play

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Go with the 970, it's a really good card and honestly it doesn't matter too much what brand but I'd go with the MSI one, while you may get slightly lower fps you're going to get great temps and little power consumption

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Hey there!

I prefer the 970. Not an nvidia fanboy either(Have 7970 and r9 290). The overclocking headroom is amazing on most 970s. I also prefer the software on the nvidia side.

i would go for 970 unless you want to crossfire in the future

but it depends on the games you play

I barely have enough room for one card in this case, never mind multiple, so no crossfiring here.

The games I play tend to be not very demanding, with a few performance-suckers here and there.

Go with the 970, it's a really good card and honestly it doesn't matter too much what brand but I'd go with the MSI one, while you may get slightly lower fps you're going to get great temps and little power consumption

Temps are important because it's such a small case. And it turns out I have to go with the MSI one anyway, as the other one won't fit in the case :wacko:

I prefer the 970. Not an nvidia fanboy either(Have 7970 and r9 290). The overclocking headroom is amazing on most 970s. I also prefer the software on the nvidia side.

Alright, well apparently the 970 sounds like the way to go. Thanks everyone.

You're not an idiot, they perform pretty much the same, infact the 970 seems to beat the 390 in some games at 1080p, yes the 8GB of Vram on the 390's side might help future proof it abit.

Hey there!

Stealthy edit: After about 30 seconds of double-checking, it turns out the card I have in my build is 280mm, when the support page for the case says it can only support up to 279mm. So, I guess if I'm going with a 970, I'm going with the one my friend recommended, because it's 11mm shorter.

The R9 390 does preform better than a GTX 970 for the same price, however it doesn't come with NVIDIA exclusives(such as DSR,G-SYNC,TXAA) But for you i would go with a R9 390 because it would be better for 1440p (because of VRAM). Also im going with a R9 390 cause i don't have enough money to even care about multi GPU configurations, however a have a board that supports 2-way DLI and Crossfire just in case.

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard MSI B550 | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengance Pro | GPU EVGA GTX 980ti | Case Corsair 4000X | Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,  Team GX2 1TB SSD | PSU Sentey 850w 80+ Bronze | Cooling AMD Wraith RGB | PCPartPicker URL https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RN7kGc |

You're not an idiot, they perform pretty much the same, infact the 970 seems to beat the 390 in some games at 1080p, yes the 8GB of Vram on the 390's side might help future proof it abit.

When games need 8GB Vram you'll need far more powerful gpu's along with it

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

The R9 390 preforms better than a GTX 970 if its not an EVGA SC, SSC, or a stock overclocked GTX 970.

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard MSI B550 | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengance Pro | GPU EVGA GTX 980ti | Case Corsair 4000X | Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,  Team GX2 1TB SSD | PSU Sentey 850w 80+ Bronze | Cooling AMD Wraith RGB | PCPartPicker URL https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RN7kGc |

When games need 8GB Vram you'll need far more powerful gpu's along with it

Yeah thats actually the thing, people seem to forget that the 390 is really not powerful enough to benefit from 8Gigs of Vram, eve the 980Ti only comes packed with 6Gigs of Vram.

The R9 390 preforms better than a GTX 970 if its not an EVGA SC, SSC, or a stock overclocked GTX 970.

Nope.

EDIT- sorry for the short answer, truth is they beat eachother at different games

I would go with a 390 if you plan to  go 1440p for that extra VRAM and DX12 favors AMD more atm.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

I barely have enough room for one card in this case, never mind multiple, so no crossfiring here.

The games I play tend to be not very demanding, with a few performance-suckers here and there.

Temps are important because it's such a small case. And it turns out I have to go with the MSI one anyway, as the other one won't fit in the case :wacko:

Alright, well apparently the 970 sounds like the way to go. Thanks everyone.

In a small case a 970 would do better just because they run at like max 60 degrees

I would go with a 390 if you plan to  go 1440p for that extra VRAM and DX12 favors AMD more atm.

Vram and higher res thing i agree with but dx12 thus far is not available on any meaningful games for us to know. Even then DX12 implementation will not roll out on a lot games for a while.

Vram and higher res thing i agree with but dx12 thus far is not available on any meaningful games for us to know. Even then DX12 implementation will not roll out on a lot games for a while.

I know but these cards are practically neck and neck on DX11 so I would just go with 390 knowing that it would get a better boost on DX12 even though it may not be fully implemented for while but since they are pretty much same I might as well get the one that will have better future performance that's just me imo you won't really go wrong with buy either card.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

I know but these cards are practically neck and neck on DX11 so I would just go with 390 knowing that it would get a better boost on DX12 even though it may not be fully implemented for while but since they are pretty much same I might as well get the one that will have better future performance that's just me imo you won't really go wrong with buy either card.

My 970 will only last til the next generation probably. By then i'll be on 144hz 1440p.

My 970 will only last til the next generation probably. By then i'll be on 144hz 1440p.

Yeah I'm just talking about if you buy something now but if not then I would rather wait till Pascal and the new HBM card roll out

Setup