Need help deciding on which OS(s) to use in upcoming build

FFS!! LTT's "DDOS protection" deleted my text as I was posting because it needed to check something. Anyhow...

This is most likely going to be a long post, so bear with me, and let me know if I missed something.

I have been planning on moving to Windows 10 with my new PC, but I really don't like MS turning my PC into a data-mining device, but still, if I am to use the OS I want to use all of it's features, this means enabling all of the data collection features. Thus I came up with a solution to use multiple OS's. The OS I would use for gaming and doing some of my work would be Win 10, the secondary OS I would use would be a Linux distro, I have my sights set on Zorin, I have only ever properly used Ubuntu and Zorin, the latter being my favorite of the 2.

I had also planned on using Wind 7 as my secondary alongside Win 10, but I fear that would be even more of a pain in the ass to setup, and would also make my point of not doing everything on win 10 mute, via MS's newest updates. (or so I've heard)

TL;DR (You monster) Win 10 + Zorin or Win 10 + Win 7 or Win 10 + Other linux distro.

Questions, that need to be answered.

1. How will win 10 work with a secondary OS alongside it? I have not seen anyone really talk about this, does it just work as all other MS OS's in that respect?

2. Since I will most-likely end up with Linux as my sidearm, I would need to know what distro to use, I am not at all familiar with Linux in general, and don't really know if there are other solution available.

2.5. Is Zorin simply the answer? Or should I use something else.

3. How exactly would I go about installing all the OS's, order of things, partitioning, such and such.

4. This will all be installed on a Sandisk Ultra pro (<<IIRC) 128GB SSD, is there anything I need to consider here? TRIM?

I wonder if that was enough formatting to make a decent post

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Win10 + VirtualBox of Manjaro 8.13.1

How comfortable with Linux are you?  Are you good at the cli?

If I were to ask, "what is the cli", what would you think?

When I used Ubuntu I installed everything with either instructions on paper, or instructions via organic loudspeaker next to me.

When using Zorin I install everything using the application manager.

I just don't use the console all that much, I know how, I can do it if needed. I just don't like it. (been using Win 7 ever since I got a PC)

EDIT: I did like using Zorin overall, and Ubuntu eventually, I will be able to get used to using a different OS. Just as long as it has buttons I can press with my mouse, and a layout that is somewhat relate-able to windows. 

Win10 + VirtualBox of Manjaro 8.13.1

Why Vbox? And why Manjaro? I haven't ever heard of the latter, and couldn't get the first to work on the setup in my signature. Had to use Wm-player instead.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

When I used Ubuntu I installed everything with either instructions on paper, or instructions via organic loudspeaker next to me.

When using Zorin I install everything using the application manager.

I just don't use the console all that much, I know how, I can do it if needed. I just don't like it. (been using Win 7 ever since I got a PC)

Why Vbox? And why Manjaro? I haven't ever heard of the latter, and couldn't get the first to work on the setup in my signature. Had to use Wm-player instead.

VirtualBox because Manjaro cannot dualboot. And Manjaro is kinda Arch Linux for Newbies.

CLI stands for custom Linux install. It is done through the terminal.

cli = command line interface (aka console, command prompt, bash, whatever you wanna call it)

That being said, I am actually in the process of doing the exact same thing as you. I have used Ubuntu in the past (like version 7.04) and hate the new interfaces that come standard (Unity and Gnome 3) I am currently giving Mint Linux (with the Cinamon DE)

PS. I do not know much about Linux but from what I have noticed, Ubuntu is by far the noob-friendliest. I have not tried Zorin before.

When in doubt, re-format.

VirtualBox because Manjaro cannot dualboot. And Manjaro is kinda Arch Linux for Newbies.

Wouldnt running it as a VM under windows 10 defeat his purpose of separating church and state?

By that I mean that he specifically does not want microsofts prying eyes to see everything, and if I understand correctly, running it under VM would still allow MS to collect keystrokes and such even though he is using a different OS.

I'm not saying you are wrong, simply asking for clarification as I'm not sure...

When in doubt, re-format.

CLI stands for custom Linux install. It is done through the terminal.

Ok, that actually does somehow sound reasonable, but won't using Vbox inside windows 10 defeat the point of using and OS different than windows 10? All my inputs are still going through the primary OS.

Isn't there any better distro I could use, something that could dualboot?

cli = command line interface (aka console, command prompt, bash, whatever you wanna call it)

That being said, I am actually in the process of doing the exact same thing as you. I have used Ubuntu in the past (like version 7.04) and hate the new interfaces that come standard (Unity and Gnome 3) I am currently giving Mint Linux (with the Cinamon DE)

PS. I do not know much about Linux but from what I have noticed, Ubuntu is by far the noob-friendliest. I have not tried Zorin before.

Ok, seems like you should also give Zorin at-least a look too. It is very similar to windows in the UI side of things, and IMO looks pretty. (If it's pretty and easy... that's all I need)

Last time I tried Ubuntu was about a year ago, I did not like the layout... But I didn't hate the OS either, guess I could just try changing the UI via terminal. I tried that at school, IIRC I bricked the install, it was either that or the server thing I was doing, apache?

Going to consider Cinnamon, a friend of mine uses that OS, he likes it. Maybe I will too. 

Spoiler

FFS!! LTT's "DDOS protection" deleted my text as I was posting because it needed to check something. Anyhow...

This is most likely going to be a long post, so bear with me, and let me know if I missed something.

I have been planning on moving to Windows 10 with my new PC, but I really don't like MS turning my PC into a data-mining device, but still, if I am to use the OS I want to use all of it's features, this means enabling all of the data collection features. Thus I came up with a solution to use multiple OS's. The OS I would use for gaming and doing some of my work would be Win 10, the secondary OS I would use would be a Linux distro, I have my sights set on Zorin, I have only ever properly used Ubuntu and Zorin, the latter being my favorite of the 2.

I had also planned on using Wind 7 as my secondary alongside Win 10, but I fear that would be even more of a pain in the ass to setup, and would also make my point of not doing everything on win 10 mute, via MS's newest updates. (or so I've heard)

TL;DR (You monster) Win 10 + Zorin or Win 10 + Win 7 or Win 10 + Other linux distro.

Questions, that need to be answered.

1. How will win 10 work with a secondary OS alongside it? I have not seen anyone really talk about this, does it just work as all other MS OS's in that respect?

2. Since I will most-likely end up with Linux as my sidearm, I would need to know what distro to use, I am not at all familiar with Linux in general, and don't really know if there are other solution available.

2.5. Is Zorin simply the answer? Or should I use something else.

3. How exactly would I go about installing all the OS's, order of things, partitioning, such and such.

4. This will all be installed on a Sandisk Ultra pro (<<IIRC) 128GB SSD, is there anything I need to consider here? TRIM?

I wonder if that was enough formatting to make a decent post

1) not sure yet, but I will be able to give you answers tomorrow

2) I personally like Linux Mint the best since it's most intuitive for me. Seeing how Mint is based on Ubuntu everything except the UI should be the same. I have used Mint a lot and never had any problems with it.

2.5) Never heard of it.

3) Install Windows, create a new partition using the disk management in Windows, download Linux distro and burn it to an USB, boot computer from USB, follow the steps and make sure you choose the empty partition which you made in the second step to install linux distro on.

4) It's a rather small SSD, but it should fit as long as you have a secondary storage disk to put all your files and maybe some programs on.

Like I said, not sure how Windows 10 will react to my way of installing linux as a dual boot but I will be trying it tomorrow or maybe the day after. If you want you can send me a PM and I will tell you about my experiences when I've tried.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

2) I personally like Linux Mint the best since it's most intuitive for me. Seeing how Mint is based on Ubuntu everything except the UI should be the same. I have used Mint a lot and never had any problems with it.

3) Install Windows, create a new partition using the disk management in Windows, download Linux distro and burn it to an USB, boot computer from USB, follow the steps and make sure you choose the empty partition which you made in the second step to install linux distro on.

4) It's a rather small SSD, but it should fit as long as you have a secondary storage disk to put all your files and maybe some programs on.

2) I am going to take a look at a list of distros tomorrow, going to put Mint on the list. Hopefully it doesn't take me hours to figure out the UI, and the weeks to actually remember it.

3) Will the linux partition be able to access the Windows partition if needed? And if I need to reinstall windows, will that fuck up linux as well?

4) I have an array of disk in addition to the SSD. A 1TB segate, a 3TB seagate, 2x 500GB WD blue (used in RAID 0).... I got space...

Spoiler

ew Mint.  Mint was garbage last time I installed it, unless things have changed I would advise against it.  And by CLI I meant command line, that is where the true power in Linux lies.  You can't go wrong with Ubuntu and once you get comfy with that you can get into better OS's.

2) I am going to take a look at a list of distros tomorrow, going to put Mint on the list. Hopefully it doesn't take me hours to figure out the UI, and the weeks to actually remember it.

3) Will the linux partition be able to access the Windows partition if needed? And if I need to reinstall windows, will that fuck up linux as well?

4) I have an array of disk in addition to the SSD. A 1TB segate, a 3TB seagate, 2x 500GB WD blue (used in RAID 0).... I got space...

2) The Mint UI is actually a lot like the Windows UI. It's very easy (imo).

3) I just found out my laptop actually has windows 10 and Linux Mint dual booted. I upgraded windows 8 to windows 10 while mint was still on the laptop without any problems. Reinstalling windows should not do anything to your linux install (assuming you do it correctly). At the moment I am not able to access the files on the windows partition, because I get an error saying windows 10 was hibernated in stead of shut down correctly (which it was not?). I used to be able to do it though, I'll tell you when I installed it on my main computer.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

ew Mint.  Mint was garbage last time I installed it, unless things have changed I would advise against it.  And by CLI I meant command line, that is where the true power in Linux lies.  You can't go wrong with Ubuntu and once you get comfy with that you can get into better OS's.

I already know that I don't like the UI in Ubuntu, no idea how mint could be worse.

CLI is a bit intimidating to me, I once manged to break Ubuntu with it. We made a samba server (finally remembered it!), there were supposed to be multiple users on that server, and I did get it working somehow. However, the next day I came back to the PC, booted it up, and saw that all the users from the server were options to login. Ok, that was normal, what wasn't normal however was that I couldn't login to ANY of the users, not the samba ones, and not the main one either.

The password-file was corrupted somehow.

Managed to gain root access to the OS by going to a pre login menu and doing something with memtest I think.

Spoiler

Wouldnt running it as a VM under windows 10 defeat his purpose of separating church and state?

By that I mean that he specifically does not want microsofts prying eyes to see everything, and if I understand correctly, running it under VM would still allow MS to collect keystrokes and such even though he is using a different OS.

I'm not saying you are wrong, simply asking for clarification as I'm not sure...

What you could do, is have a separate HDD that has prioirity, but require a USB Drive that has the bootloader on, and if you don't have the drive, it'll boot into window.

What you could do, is have a separate HDD that has prioirity, but require a USB Drive that has the bootloader on, and if you don't have the drive, it'll boot into window.

That sounds incredibly difficult to setup... But interesting non-the less.

How would I go about moving a bootloader in the first place? And why HDD, I would prefer my OS's to be on the SSD. Even-though Linux is much smaller, and propably doesn't need it... 

Spoiler

That sounds incredibly difficult to setup...

How would I go about moving a bootloader in the first place? And why HDD, I would prefer my OS's to be on the SSD. Even-though Linux is much smaller, and propably doesn't need it...

When you install Manjaro, you can select where the Bootloader installs. I use it all the time to secure my thin-clients