premium headphones for use with youtube?

mioxx
Go to solution Solved by iShad,

Thanks for that  :) Could you articulate how much "performance" i may be getting out of the AKG 701s when using youtube? So say flac files or other lossless formats would be talking 100% advantage of the headphones' audio, how much, just roughly so that i have somewhat of an idea, would youtube be using? Of course this has no real bearing on reality, it is just to articulate it in a rough way so that i can comprehend youtube's audio quality slightly better if you know what i mean. Just a rough estimation. Thanks 

That's something you can try with your current audio equipment, just download a flac file and compare it with 320kbps/256kbps/192kbps files and so on and see what you can detect. Personally the difference is minimal, and I am using a pair of Th-900 plugged into hp-a8 dac/amp so it's not like my gears aren't capable enough to produce the details. I do primarily use flac or dsd since space is cheap. Now I don't know why you're limited to youtube and spotify free, but just know that you're not missing out on much as people like to claim.

Hello people of linustechtips. So, I am planning on buying the AKG 701/702 (whichever one is cheaper at time of purchase) and a Fio e10k amp/dac from Amazon UK. I live in the UK of course. My question, however, is that are these headphones too good to use with youtube and spotify free? These are analytical headphones, or so I hear, and will detect any flaws in the recording. I have no music stores near me that stock these and so cannot try them out however amazon has a 30 day return policy and if i don't like their sound i can just send them back. I plan on merely using these for a "better sound experience" and will not be doing any studio work. I will be using these at home and portability and looks are not a concern as long as the headphones have outstanding comfort and sound amazing. So, simple question, are these too god for youtube and spotify free? will i be wasting my money? If so, then what are the best headphones that, might i add, don't have a boomy overpowering bass and sound clear, detailed and crisp, have a wide soundstage and are open-back, that would be appropriate to use with youtube music streaming (1080p and above) and spotify free ?

thanks in advance

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Well, I can't answer your question directly by reccommending other headphones, but I would highly reccommend AKG as they have amazing sound quality and are reliable (in my experience). If you're going 1080p and above then these are good imo. (And they are extremely comfy to wear).

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

High-end headphones for YouTube playback? Man, don't bother. High quality files should accompany the headphones.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Hello people of linustechtips. So, I am planning on buying the AKG 701/702 (whichever one is cheaper at time of purchase) and a Fio e10k amp/dac from Amazon UK. I live in the UK of course. My question, however, is that are these headphones too good to use with youtube and spotify free? These are analytical headphones, or so I hear, and will detect any flaws in the recording. I have no music stores near me that stock these and so cannot try them out however amazon has a 30 day return policy and if i don't like their sound i can just send them back. I plan on merely using these for a "better sound experience" and will not be doing any studio work. I will be using these at home and portability and looks are not a concern as long as the headphones have outstanding comfort and sound amazing. So, simple question, are these too god for youtube and spotify free? will i be wasting my money? If so, then what are the best headphones that, might i add, don't have a boomy overpowering bass and sound clear, detailed and crisp, have a wide soundstage and are open-back, that would be appropriate to use with youtube music streaming (1080p and above) and spotify free ?

thanks in advance

And don't go with that other guy reccommending beats..

One more thing, on PCPartpicker you can peripherals to your build - one of those being headphones. So start a system build and have a look at headphones on there - because there is a WIDE range and a LOT of filters which is awesome

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I would go for a Sennheiser if you are considering mainstream brands .

I don't think that something more than a 20-30$ pair of headphone makes any sense in the digital world of Youtube/iTunes/streaming and so on .

And don't go with that other guy reccommending beats..

One more thing, on PCPartpicker you can peripherals to your build - one of those being headphones. So start a system build and have a look at headphones on there - because there is a WIDE range and a LOT of filters which is awesome

Yeah bro cause I was obviously serious...

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Those headphones are good, but I would look into Spotify Premium since it has 320 bitrate.  Or find some CD's and rip those in FLAC or something.

Well tbh, i can return them if i am not happy with them. I do have a few flac music files lying around my pc and so, I'll simply make a direct head to head comparison of youtube vs flac on my pc with the AKG 701s/702s. If i can't hear a difference, then all's good. 

As some of the other guys have stated above YouTube doesn't really offer you a high end listening experience. That doesn't mean however that a good set of headphones wont improve your YouTube experience, just that you will still get a better experience with a hig quality file. The AKG 701 or the Sennheiser HD600 would both be a great choice. :)

As some of the other guys have stated above YouTube doesn't really offer you a high end listening experience. That doesn't mean however that a good set of headphones wont improve your YouTube experience, just that you will still get a better experience with a hig quality file. The AKG 701 or the Sennheiser HD600 would both be a great choice. :)

Thanks for that  :) Could you articulate how much "performance" i may be getting out of the AKG 701s when using youtube? So say flac files or other lossless formats would be talking 100% advantage of the headphones' audio, how much, just roughly so that i have somewhat of an idea, would youtube be using? Of course this has no real bearing on reality, it is just to articulate it in a rough way so that i can comprehend youtube's audio quality slightly better if you know what i mean. Just a rough estimation. Thanks 

That's something you can try with your current audio equipment, just download a flac file and compare it with 320kbps/256kbps/192kbps files and so on and see what you can detect. Personally the difference is minimal, and I am using a pair of Th-900 plugged into hp-a8 dac/amp so it's not like my gears aren't capable enough to produce the details. I do primarily use flac or dsd since space is cheap. Now I don't know why you're limited to youtube and spotify free, but just know that you're not missing out on much as people like to claim.

This. Thanks for typing that... I wasn't even going to reply to this thread because of how bad and incorrect the replies have been...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Hmm okay thanks for the help. My current audio equipment, if you can even call it that, is a laptop with a £10 pair of earphones so I probably won't hear the difference between the different bitrates. But anyways, I have decided to indeed buy the headphones, have a listen to them with flac and non- flac audio and then decide whether to keep them or not. Thanks for all the help. If the difference is minimal as iShad says, then that's great! Btw, that is very expensive and impressive equipment you have there! Also on a side note, KaminKevCrew, 

This. Thanks for typing that... I wasn't even going to reply to this thread because of how bad and incorrect the replies have been...

if the replies have been bad, then doesn't that mean you should have replied? No offence ofcourse  :) I appreciate the help

if the replies have been bad, then doesn't that mean you should have replied? No offence ofcourse :) I appreciate the help

it does, however, I'm currently on my cell phone and I'm too lazy to type out a proper response to all of them (oh, and I can't multi-quote...). Let me put it this way: less than 1 percent of the population of people that are into audio are able to hear the difference between flac and 320kbps mp3. I wasn't able to hear the difference when my family still had our $40,000 speaker system. So take that as you will, but I highly doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between them... I often listen to YouTube music on my he-500 because I can't tell the difference when it's in HD... I don't know if youtube still does it, but they used to lower the audio quality alongside the lower video qualities...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

it does, however, I'm currently on my cell phone and I'm too lazy to type out a proper response to all of them (oh, and I can't multi-quote...). Let me put it this way: less than 1 percent of the population of people that are into audio are able to hear the difference between flac and 320kbps mp3. I wasn't able to hear the difference when my family still had our $40,000 speaker system. So take that as you will, but I highly doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between them... I often listen to YouTube music on my he-500 because I can't tell the difference when it's in HD... I don't know if youtube still does it, but they used to lower the audio quality alongside the lower video qualities...

vessel does, and it sounds terrible at low res

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

vessel does, and it sounds terrible at low res

I actually really like vessel. It's a great service!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I actually really like vessel. It's a great service!

how?

Its slow, sounds weird (even at HD)

Looks different,

and its just not good.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well that settles it then. Thanks alot for your help. Also spwath, that's a really nice quote you have there "Computers are like girls..." 

how?

Its slow, sounds weird (even at HD)

Looks different,

and its just not good.

I've found that it sounds fine, but all I ever use it for are ltt videos, and I haven't done any comparisons. It works well enough for me to deal with it once a day to watch the ltt daily release.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I've found that it sounds fine, but all I ever use it for are ltt videos, and I haven't done any comparisons. It works well enough for me to deal with it once a day to watch the ltt daily release.

yeah i still use it.

Though i wont when my free thing is over.

yeah i still use it.

Though i wont when my free thing is over.

Yeah, I'm not gonna pay for it later, I don't really mind the whole youtube thing being a week behind... Also, I get 120mbps down, so it isn't slow for me...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Yeah, I'm not gonna pay for it later, I don't really mind the whole youtube thing being a week behind... Also, I get 120mbps down, so it isn't slow for me...

mines not usualy slow, but on mobile its slower that yt

mines not usualy slow, but on mobile its slower that yt

I don't think android has an app yet, so I wouldn't know :P

Hey! New SIgnature!