Laptop HDD in desktop?

LightCode Gaming
Go to solution Solved by Potion,

So there might be a mounting problem?

There shouldn't be a mounting problem, in the case that there is you can always buy a cheap 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.

Would there be any problems that could arise with this? Or would it be worth wile to get an extra 500GB storage?

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

There should be no problem as long as it is SATA. It would be the same as using any old 3.5" HDD, just that this drive is 2.5".

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

There shouldn't be a mounting problem, in the case that there is you can always buy a cheap 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.

It will work without any problem.

I've two of them in my desktop.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Would there be any problems that could arise with this? Or would it be worth wile to get an extra 500GB storage?

Hey there LightCode Gaming,

If the drive uses a port (SATA, M.2, mSATA, etc.) that both computers have, everything should be OK. Do make sure you can mount the drive inside the case itself. If you don't have narrow-enough spaces in the drive cage you might need to purchase additional mounting brackets. 
do have in mind that if you have a OS or installed applications and games on that drive, they need to be reinstalled in order to work on the new computer due to hardware differences. Everything else should be accessible with no issues at all. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thanks all! Put it in yesterday (turns out I have 4 ports of that size O.o Who knew.

But it's in properly, and cables are still managed enough to prevent the fans from being blocked.