I have a few questions before moving to the UK [Pt.1]

Snapy1

I'm 14 (soon 15) and when I graduate high school (secondary school) I would like to move to the UK. I was thinking London just becuase of the face I do not want to drive when I get their, when I become 16 here in the US, I will not get my licence or my permit just because I do not want to drive, I utterly hate it! Although back on topic I have a lot of question's I need answered.

1: When I move is their a green card that I can use to move their and work but not be employed by a company in the US? What I mean by that is can I get a green card that I can use to stay there (until I am eligible of applying for citizenship) and work at a place that is............Uhh this is hard to explain in text. I hope you understood what I said above at least.

2: Can I legally become a citizen there (when I am eligible of applying for citizenship) without sacrificing myself for the British Army. In better words when becoming a citizen can I just be like a normal person born and raised in the UK and have 100% all my freedoms, but this is without having to do any work for the country, for example the army. 

3: Will it be hard to make friends or will a lot of people want to kick my head in for being an American and living in the UK?

4: Will it be hard to find a job? Will people often take citizens of the UK and us "foreigners" will be at the bottom of the list when applying for a job.

5: When I move their may I get a tv license in advanced to take my tv(s) over?

6: Do I need a TV licence for a computer monitor (I am assuming yes)

7: How long will the hole process be of me moving their will it be easy, hard, stressful, or get much easier once I finally move into a flat?

8: Can I apply for all the same things that normal citizens get (people born in the UK) once I'm a official citizen, for example health insurance. 

9: If I'm at a supermarket and I know what I want to get and I say it wrong or call it something us Americans say but you Brits call it different than us Americans will the store clerk usually know what I am talking about since it's London and a lot of tourists mainly come to London to visit. 

10: Is it offensive that I say "Brits" when I am referencing to well of course you Brits, like of you Brits probably call us American's "Americans"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take note that I have been doing research on the slang that is used in the UK and what you guys title different then us Americans. I also know that I have a hole bunch of stuff to learn and I am aware it will be embarrassing when I cock up something there.

Also take note I have been planing this for almost a year, I am now just coming out of the closet about it. It is not a thing that I thought about and decided to do in just 60 seconds. 

So please I hope I get at least one valid response to each question, also feel free to skype me, my skype name is mrsnapatya

When do you plan to move and with who? If you want a flat... expect to pay £1 million for a 1 bedroom flat in London... there are cheaper areas but still really expensive.  Also you can just go to UK and claim benefits day 1.. so I don't know if you need a "green card" or something. UK is seriously somewhat fucked up place, a lot of retarded stuff going on, think about moving there carefully.

3: Will it be hard to make friends or will a lot of people want to kick my head in for being an American and living in the UK?

Uhhh take it this way, people born living in the UK have trouble making friends xD but some people will find you cool :P

4: Will it be hard to find a job? Will people often take citizens of the UK and us "foreigners" will be at the bottom of the list when applying for a job.
Jobs are quite scarce here as it is but I'm sure you will not be discriminated against :P

No you do not, however if you intend to watch programs on BBC iPlayer or anything like that then you will need one. 

8: Can I apply for all the same things that normal citizens get (people born in the UK) once I'm a official citizen, for example health insurance. 
Health insurance isn't a thing, national health care is for everyone ^_^

9: If I'm at a supermarket and I know what I want to get and I say it wrong or call it something us Americans say but you Brits call it different than us Americans will the store clerk usually know what I am talking about since it's London and a lot of tourists mainly come to London to visit. 
Well we watch wayyy too much television here so they'll probably know what you mean ^_^

10: Is it offensive that I say "Brits" when I am referencing to well of course you Brits, like of you Brits probably call us American's "Americans"
Not really sounds kinda cool :P

I only replied to what I could answer ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

3) it shouldn't be too hard, people don't care too much if you speak English.

4) It's hard for everyone right now to get a job, it depends on what you're applying for, say if you wanted to be a plasterer, they usually tend to go with people that aren't from he UK because they don't mind minimum wage.

5, 6) you only need a TV licence if you want to watch TV, you can have your TV with a BluRay player in with no licence and it be fine. Also no need for one for a monitor.

9) Usually, yeah.

Is isn't much detail, and I'll add you on Skype so I can explain the rest.

When do you plan to move and with who? If you want a flat... expect to pay £1 million for a 1 bedroom flat in London... there are cheaper areas but still really expensive.  Also you can just go to UK and claim benefits day 1.. so I don't know if you need a "green card" or something. UK is seriously somewhat fucked up place, a lot of retarded stuff going on, think about moving there carefully.

so what you are saying is I can go to the UK day 1 and be like hey I want to rend a flat, then live there and live happily ever after, come on man its immigration we're talking about, their has to be some pain in the ass shit that you need to deal with and do. It can't be that easy, and even if it is that easy I am very very very frightened that the laws will change over time and It will be like coming from somewhere else in the world to the US, and let me tell you our immigration laws are strict here and it sucks for other people which I feel bad for.

so what you are saying is I can go to the UK day 1 and be like hey I want to rend a flat, then live there and live happily ever after, come on man its immigration we're talking about, their has to be some pain in the ass shit that you need to deal with and do. It can't be that easy, and even if it is that easy I am very very very frightened that the laws will change over time and It will be like coming from somewhere else in the world to the US, and let me tell you our immigration laws are strict here and it sucks for other people which I feel bad for.

You actually can just come over and get benefits from day one, that's why there are so many immigrants over here.

They are strict in the US, we know this. But you can go to the UK no problem and just live there, I don't think there's more to it than that. Just go say to some government official that you live there now and they'll be like, "do you have a job? want benefits?" and so on. And please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I live in Finland but I have a lot of friends in the UK and they've told me this stuff so I can't be 100% sure.

You actually can just come over and get benefits from day one, that's why there are so many immigrants over here.

Really, so I have read all this stuff about needing a green card, having to live in the UK for 10 years before applying for citizenship. Are those all lies just to get people not to move here. If so do you think the laws will ever make it harder to come over there in the next 4 years (when I graduate school and move there)?

If you plan to move here when you're 16, you won't be able to drive anyway. Depending on when you come you'll either have to be 17 or 18 (the law is changing soon). At that age you will be classed as a minor anyway so you may not even be able to come across on your own, unless you can prove that someone over here will look after you.

You will need some form of visa, but be very careful which one you get because if you get the wrong one and they find out that you're working you will likely get deported.

You won't need to do any work for the army or civil service, not sure how many hoops you will have to jump through to get citizenship though.

I don't think you can get a tv license in advance.

You'll get all of the benefits of the uk even if you only come over on holiday.

Edit: have a look at this http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

Really, so I have read all this stuff about needing a green card, having to live in the UK for 10 years before applying for citizenship. Are those all lies just to get people not to move here. If so do you think the laws will ever make it harder to come over there in the next 4 years (when I graduate school and move there)?

Well if we get out of the EU it will be harder for Europeans to come here but I'm not sure about people from the US, you should be fine.

Well if we get out of the EU it will be harder for Europeans to come here but I'm not sure about people from the US, you should be fine.

Okay, one last question what about this http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/usa/applying/?langname=null

They make it sooooo hard so confusing when I;m ready to move do I call them and will they help me choose which visa to choose, the site also says something about applying for settlement, do you need a visa for that, if so what kind, if not does it require you to live in the UK with a visa for a certain amount of time?

Why would you want to move to the UK? Come to Australia, it's better in every way  :D

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Why would you want to move to the UK? Come to Australia, it's better in every way  :D

Nah sorry, I already know I just wont cut it there. I hate the sun, I hate the heat, I hate the beach. 

If only australia wasn't so gun-ho on banning and censoring video games, even though i think if you use steam it's pretty easy to get the uncensored version. other than that your accents is enough of a reason for me to move there.

Nah sorry, I already know I just wont cut it there. I hate the sun, I hate the heat, I hate the beach. 

Strange...

If only australia wasn't so gun-ho on banning and censoring video games, even though i think if you use steam it's pretty easy to get the uncensored version. other than that your accents is enough of a reason for me to move there.

Uhhhhhhh yeah that's all a bit sensationalist. Doesn't really happen.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Strange...

Uhhhhhhh yeah that's all a bit sensationalist. Doesn't really happen.

I wouldn't know to be honest, just what i have heard, i don't really have the right to comment on the matter/

I'm 14 (soon 15) and when I graduate high school (secondary school) I would like to move to the UK. I was thinking London just becuase of the face I do not want to drive when I get their, when I become 16 here in the US, I will not get my licence or my permit just because I do not want to drive, I utterly hate it! Although back on topic I have a lot of question's I need answered.

1: When I move is their a green card that I can use to move their and work but not be employed by a company in the US? What I mean by that is can I get a green card that I can use to stay there (until I am eligible of applying for citizenship) and work at a place that is............Uhh this is hard to explain in text. I hope you understood what I said above at least.

2: Can I legally become a citizen there (when I am eligible of applying for citizenship) without sacrificing myself for the British Army. In better words when becoming a citizen can I just be like a normal person born and raised in the UK and have 100% all my freedoms, but this is without having to do any work for the country, for example the army. 

5: When I move their may I get a tv license in advanced to take my tv(s) over?

7: How long will the hole process be of me moving their will it be easy, hard, stressful, or get much easier once I finally move into a flat?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take note that I have been doing research on the slang that is used in the UK and what you guys title different then us Americans. I also know that I have a hole bunch of stuff to learn and I am aware it will be embarrassing when I cock up something there.

Also take note I have been planing this for almost a year, I am now just coming out of the closet about it. It is not a thing that I thought about and decided to do in just 60 seconds. 

So please I hope I get at least one valid response to each question, also feel free to skype me, my skype name is mrsnapatya

1. I have no idea

2. Yes and no, military service is not compulsory and hasn't been since the 50's I think

3. There are some pricks mate but not all, you'll be fine

4. It'll be difficult anyway because our economy is a piece of shit

5. You'll have to buy a TV license to watch live broadcasts

6. No unless you're watching live TV on your computer then yes you will have to

7. *whole, and of course it'll be stressful, but will get easier once you get settled in

8. Healthcare is the UK is free, if you have a job you'll have to buy perscriptions but treatment is free (I think at least)

9. Not really sure, just study UK terms or something, not really sure what to say

10. Brits lol no that isn't offensive, Brits call you Yanks so I don't know :)

I hope that will help you a little, it was a doozy trying to think lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

You have no chance of being granted a visa at the age of 16 unless you have a lot of money or family here.

Your best option is to go to college until your 18 then apply at a UK University.

1:  As you are an international, it's extremely difficult to get working visa in the UK. 
It's difficult for internationals because you have to be the better than the british people and not all companies can sponsor you, because they would need a sponsorship license and that cost them money. Also companies are scared of individuals leaving them after a few years (they want dedicated permanent employers). Difficult, but not impossible.

If you're coming to UK as a international student for University, it is much easier to get a working visa or a job in UK. Becoming a international student in UK gives you a student visa, which allows you to work and it's much easier to transfer from student visa to working visa than it is with no visa to working visa.

2: You can become a permanent british citizen once you have lived in UK for at least 5 years (I think).
Your working visa lasts 2.5 years. So you would need to apply two rounds of working visa before you can finally apply for the british citizenship.

3: You making friends will entirely depend on you. If you're sociable and friendly, people will like you. Same with any country.

4: As I said above, it's difficult for all internationals, because UK has their own problem with employment and would prefer to employ their own british citizens.

5: I don't see why you need to get your TV license in advance. You can pay when you get there. Very simple and easy to pay for TV license.
Just make sure your apartment or house has a TV socket!

6: You don't need a TV license for computer monitor. The TV license is for watching live television. If you're using your computer just to watch youtube or BBC iplayer or whatever; you won't need one.

7: Living in a different country will always be hard and stressful and of course once you finally move into a flat, it will be much easier. Really depends on how fast you adapt; luckily you're moving to a english speaking country. So that will help a lot. If in doubt, you should always ask for help.

8: Yes, once you are a permanent british citizen, you have everything a british citizen has. Healthcare is free in UK.

9: It should be fine. They may laugh a bit but that's natural. It's like how I make fun of americans people who call crisps... "chips" and chips... "french fries"

10: No. Brits by itself isn't offensive. It's offensive when you add stuff like "stupid".

----------------------------

Also, I should let you know, if you eventually decide to get british citizenship; you will lose your american citizenship.

I would advise getting your education done with degree; this will help you finding jobs in UK so much easier.
But please bare in mind that University fees for international students in UK are insanely high (£14,000+); so it may be good to find University in US.

There are some good jobs to target, because there is a shortage. It's easier to get visa if you are in this position.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/appendixk/

Apartments in London are expensive. It would be cheaper to live outside of London and use public transport to come in.

Also finally, you cannot move to UK and expect to stay here for 5 years for permanent citizenship and get benefits like the people have said above. You need to be doing something as your visitor visa only lasts like 3-6 months. 

If you have any other questions, let me know. My girlfriend is going through a similar process in getting a work visa to finally become a british citizen.

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

Then you'll love the UK, its cold damp and generally raining. We have a few beaches though so check before you go to a shoreline town. The summer is unbearably hot, luckily it only lasts a month.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about London though maybe move somewhere else? London can get pretty bad smog sometimes

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?