Balanced Audio

spwath

So my headphones (XPT100) said the cable was balanced.

I have heard this before.

I could not figure out exactly what it means, i was looking at the wikipedia page, couldent figure it out.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So my headphones (XPT100) said the cable was balanced.

I have heard this before.

I could not figure out exactly what it means, i was looking at the wikipedia page, couldent figure it out.

Basically, the cable is set at a very high standard to ensure the resistance is the same for both sides. (Same nominal impedance = same volume)

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

AFAIK it doesn't matter in headphones.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

I suggest you read this article: http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

Basically a balanced cable cancels out most of the noise a unbalanced cable would pick up, though the difference is most likely not audible with cables shorter than a few meters.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Basically, the cable is set at a very high standard to ensure the resistance is the same for both sides. (Same nominal impedance = same volume)

That is very, very incorrect. Like not even close...

I suggest you read this article: http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

Basically a balanced cable cancels out most of the noise a unbalanced cable would pick up, though the difference is most likely not audible with cables shorter than a few meters.

More or less...

Basically, as far as headphones go, you really don't need balanced audio and it *probably* won't make a difference. 

For speakers, you need three conductors per channel for balanced audio. You have two conductors that carry the signal, but one of them is in opposite phase with the other, and the third is a normal ground. The two in opposite phases allow the cable to be sent over incredibly long runs without having the cable pick up interference. 

For headphones, you only need four conductors total (two per channel) Each channel gets the two conductors carrying signals in opposite phase. What this is supposed to do is allow an amp to essentially double the voltage swing and the speed with which the driver can react (essentially it helps the coil pull itself back down and push itself back up). Or at least, that's the idea. In reality, it really won't make a difference. That being said, if you have friends that are really into audio (A.K.A. audiofools) it is actually sort of better to get a balanced cable for your headphones, and adapt them to unbalanced, because you can break a balanced amp by trying to run unbalanced headphones on it, but if you use balanced headphones on an unbalanced amp (with an adapter) you will be totally fine. 

Hopefully that will help you out...

edit: http://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide That link may help you to understand it better, but take any claimed audio improvements with a grain of salt, as it's never been proven to make a difference, to my knowledge.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

The only reason you would need balanced is for extremely long cable runs, to reduce interference.

edit: http://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide That link may help you to understand it better, but take any claimed audio improvements with a grain of salt, as it's never been proven to make a difference, to my knowledge.

"refined musical detail"

"tightly textural low bass"

"perfectly pronounced mid-ranges"

Jesus...will it also cure my premature ejaculation problem? I hope so.

The only reason you would need balanced is for extremely long cable runs, to reduce interference.

"refined musical detail"

"tightly textural low bass"

"perfectly pronounced mid-ranges"

Jesus...will it also cure my premature ejaculation problem? I hope so.

Wow, that's awesome and only costs 280-750 for the cables!

Did some more research, apparently most headphone cables are inherently balanced:

1. Most headphones (at least those of decent quality) do not share a common conductor through the length of the cable (as opposed to what was said in 6 Moons). Most headphones have a separate wire from each negative terminal that remain isolated through the length of the cable. In other words, most headphone cables are effectively balanced inherently. If they were sharing a common through the length of the cable, the impedance of the cable may cause some of the signal to show up on opposing channels. However, they are not connected until the plug, and therefore have a minimal impedance to ground.

This from an engineer at Benchmark Media. The rest of the post is an interesting read as well.

Did some more research, apparently most headphone cables are inherently balanced:

This from an engineer at Benchmark Media. The rest of the post is an interesting read as well.

That's an awesome read too! I wanted that amp that was mentioned until I saw that it shouldn't be used at a gain of less than 2x...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)