My hdd is getting real hot(so help pls)

brownninja97

So here is  the problem.

the hdd in question is this one

f0cbb612b0d5a9f8dd3bcc36b96010d3.png

My pc as been mostly idle for an 1 hour regardless the issues start when i start using this drive, its mainly for back ups and pictures at the moment still im worried.

Under load the under drives get to around 40oc which is fine. This cheeky sod gets up to around 65oc, a few quick searchs say that it really shouldnt be going over 60oc. I tried adjusting the allocation of my hdds to try and cool it, i tried janky fan mounts to give it more air. Its not been solved.

Im curious is it possible that the temperature sensor is broken, to the touch of the metal casing its hotter then the other two but my hand isnt really an accurate measurement. Is the hdd dying, i assume it is or its life span is being shortened by the temps, speed in reading and writing is fine.

My room temps are 29oc at the moment. In the pc its 31oc. While gaming it gets up to around 35oc but no games are on that drive.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It's fine.

My HDD's vary between 25 degrees Celsius and 45 degrees Celsius with light use.

It's fine.

read the whole post please. It hits 65oc and im not comfortable with that

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It's fine.

You should read instead of just looking at the picture.

Anyways,

I don't think there is much you can do about that.

What you should try to do it to put it as low as possible in the case, so that it doesn't get hotter as it already is because of other components.

Maybe perform a few benchmarks to see if the drives has problems in reading and writing.

It's fine.

I did, it get up to 65 degrees, 

Still wouldn't be that worried.

It is not ideal, I would use it for stuff that isn't used that often.

Your room is pretty hot, that might be the cause of the problem. Or the sensor could be broken of course. Either way I wouldn't expect a case fan to cool a hdd particularly well, they are only used to ensure there is some airflow around them. Without a heatsink a case fan can't help much with temperatures.

Either way unless you start experiencing errors you need not worry. If you do, consider backing up your data in case it fails.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Poor airflow my friend, that's something I'd expect from a HDD in a fanless enclosure.