GTX 970 OC too far?

Hi,

I have a lovely rig with a 4690k (4.2ghz) paired with an MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970. I've been running the GPU at stock for a while and it's great, but tonight I decided to be adventurous and overclock it with Afterburner and Heaven Benchmark. I'm a bit scared, because unless I have a godlike card my specs seem too good to be true.

My core clock got to +200MHz, which is good. Wouldn't move much from there.

I kept my power limit and voltage the same for now. Unless anyone has a second opinion on that I'll keep it that way.

The memory clock, however, is at +700MHz, which seems insane. I'm honestly afraid to push it any more.

My Heaven benchmark scores are about a 2300, with an average framerate of 91 and temps never going above 75 degrees. It's on the high preset, 1080p windowed with 2x AA.

Am I doing something wrong here? Destroying my card? Not going far enough? I'm gonna let this benchmark run overnight and see what happens.

Thanks,

-Chris

just stress test, if you hit that stuff stable after like 12 hours that would be insane!

Favourite Game: 
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion -[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion]
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks and the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary, 2K Games. It is the fourth installment in The Elder Scrolls action fantasy video game series, following The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and preceding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Oblivion was first released in March 2006. 

Favourite Music: 
Look at my Mixcloud [https://www.mixcloud.com/Gabelele/]  If you want  

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 
-240gb Kingston SSD now SSD 
-1tb Seagate baracuda HDD 
-500watt Aero cool 'X-strike' PSU 
-Bitfenix Neos (Blue Y Black) 

- Modded Microsoft -Intelli mouse [linustechtips.com] (thanks to TheRandomness X/) 
-Logitech K120 keyboard 
-ASUS 21.5" 1080p monitor 

No mates facts: 

Favorite tank: Sturmgeschütz III (I understand the Sturmgeschütz series are not technically tanks but infact SPGs, 'got me') 
Favorite Aircraft: Henschel Hs 129

Roles or characters in games: 
WarThunder = Tank destroyer and sometimes my KV-1B if im bored 
CSGO = Sniper, I seem to be able to AWP 'well' apperently 
RPGs in general = Mage or Tank w/ resoration

Hi,

I have a lovely rig with a 4690k (4.2ghz) paired with an MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970. I've been running the GPU at stock for a while and it's great, but tonight I decided to be adventurous and overclock it with Afterburner and Heaven Benchmark. I'm a bit scared, because unless I have a godlike card my specs seem too good to be true.

My core clock got to +200MHz, which is good. Wouldn't move much from there.

I kept my power limit and voltage the same for now. Unless anyone has a second opinion on that I'll keep it that way.\

The memory clock, however, is at +700MHz, which seems insane. I'm honestly afraid to push it any more.

My Heaven benchmark scores are about a 2300, with an average framerate of 91 and temps never going above 75 degrees. It's on the high preset, 1080p windowed with 2x AA.

Am I doing something wrong here? Destroying my card? Not going far enough? I'm gonna let this benchmark run overnight and see what happens.

Thanks,

-Chris

jesus you got a good card for OCing, memory is normal, I wouldn't push it any further though, its fine as is, I've got a +80 core clock and +550 for mem, I have a below average card TBH

just stress test, if you hit that stuff stable after like 12 hours that would be insane!

Will do

I often find that Unigen benchmarks aren't stressful enough to see if the OC is stable. Often times I'll get artifacting in BF4 and Ark when I get none at all in Unigen.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

200MHz on core ? nah my MSI GTX 970 Gaming 2GB can go over +210MHz until it keep crashing

Should I bump up the power?

I often find that Unigen benchmarks aren't stressful enough to see if the OC is stable. Often times I'll get artifacting in BF4 and Ark when I get none at all in Unigen.

What's a good benchmark then?

jesus you got a good card for OCing, memory is normal, I wouldn't push it any further though, its fine as is, I've got a +80 core clock and +550 for mem, I have a below average card TBH

Awesome, thanks

That's a huge overclock. Curious though....is it showing that representative overclock when running the benchmark?

Personally, I know a few times when I overclocked my card sometimes (for whatever reason) the o/c tweaks didn't save.

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on

Is that +700 effective on the memory? Or just +175*4 cause of how GDDR5 works?

What's a good benchmark then?

Yeah, and do some benchmark ( to prove that the OC is stable )

What are the clocks when running benchmarks? Use Gpu-z or msi afterburner to see the real time clocks. I'd recommend using Valley and one or two AAA games to test stability.

My card gets 1600/2100 stable @1.26v

What are the clocks when running benchmarks? Use Gpu-z or msi afterburner to see the real time clocks. I'd recommend using Valley and one or two AAA games to test stability.

My card gets 1600/2100 stable @1.26v

That's a huge overclock. Curious though....is it showing that representative overclock when running the benchmark?

Personally, I know a few times when I overclocked my card sometimes (for whatever reason) the o/c tweaks didn't save.

Running Heaven right now. Core clock is a solid 1528, memory clock at 4207, still just under 75 degrees. Measuring with Afterburner.

Is that +700 effective on the memory? Or just +175*4 cause of how GDDR5 works?

Not quite sure. Memory clock is 4207 during benchmarks.

Running Heaven right now. Core clock is a solid 1528, memory clock at 4207, still just under 75 degrees. Measuring with Afterburner.

Yeah, that's pretty good. You could push the core harder with more voltage and power.

Yeah, that's pretty good. You could push the core harder with more voltage and power.

How much on each? Are temps getting too high?

How much on each? Are temps getting too high?

Have you touched fan speed? Temps are fine until 85+ tbh. For voltage you shouldn't go higher than 1.3v on air. Max the power limit.

Have you touched fan speed? Temps are fine until 85+ tbh. For voltage you shouldn't go higher than 1.3v on air. Max the power limit.

I've kept fan speed on auto. I'll try maxing the power limit. The voltage is greyed out for some reason, won't show anything on the slider or show the current voltage.

eRdMaQO.png

Very nice, indeed  B)

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on

I've kept fan speed on auto. I'll try maxing the power limit. The voltage is greyed out for some reason, won't show anything on the slider or show the current voltage.

Do this.

b74c9f49c82d518790c75186c007d878.gif

Do this.

b74c9f49c82d518790c75186c007d878.gif

I did +50MHz, it's hit max 1.243v during benchmarking. I'm slowly bumping up core, I'm at 1592 max so far (it shifts a bit), or +225. Heaven claims it's 1680 which I don't get. Also, is it safe to change values during Heaven?

Edit: Crashed at +250.

I did +50MHz, it's hit max 1.243v during benchmarking. I'm slowly bumping up core, I'm at 1592 max so far (it shifts a bit), or +225. Heaven claims it's 1680 which I don't get. Also, is it safe to change values during Heaven?

Don't change values during heaven, not even if the just browser is open. Also, don't trust the readings you see from heaven; ie: clock/mem clock/temp(usually temp is correct).

Yeah, i'd try to make a custom fan curve. One you would feel comfortable with rather than auto. MSI cards are usually super quiet even with fans at high rpms.

Don't change values during heaven, not even if the just browser is open. Also, don't trust the readings you see from heaven; ie: clock/mem clock/temp(usually temp is correct).

Yeah, i'd try to make a custom fan curve. One you would feel comfortable with rather than auto. MSI cards are usually super quiet even with fans at high rpms.

Hopefully +230 will work better, 250 killed it. Does fullscreen vs windowed affect it? Also, how do I make a fan curve? I only see a constant %

Hopefully +230 will work better, 250 killed it. Does fullscreen vs windowed affect it? Also, how do I make a fan curve? I only see a constant %

i don't use one because mine is on water. Just run the highest preset. ie: extreme or extremehd. Don't remember the name for heaven, stopped using since i prefer valley.

d40dcabc08901c917b5b19e52cdd3ad3.gif