WIFI Range Extender Not Providing Same Download Speeds

I recently moved my pc into a different room that is farther away from my modem. I noticed right away that the speed was significantly slower than its' previous location so I decided to buy a range extender, the N300 WiFi Range Extender from netgear. I installed it like it said to in the instruction manual and it connects to the internet like a charm, and even shows higher download speeds in speed tests but doesn't show the actual peformance it has. From my old location it would get around 3.6mbps download and now I'm getting 1.5mbps download with this. Please help

It says Ping: 41ms, Download Speed: 3.18mbps, and upload speed: 2.53ms without the extender and Ping: 47ms, Download speed: 13.14mbps, and upload speed: 4.71mbps with the extender

The range ecxtender will obviously increase the latency of the wifi, and also the speed, depending on how far away it is from the router.

There is a difference between megabits and megabytes.

13.14 / 8 = 1,64 megaBYTES per second. That's why you'll see 1,64 megabytes per second, and not 13,14 megaBITS

There is a difference between megabits and megabytes.

13.14 / 8 = 1,64 megaBYTES per second. That's why you'll see 1,64 megabytes per second, and not 13,14 megaBITS

But previously I was getting 3.18 download speeds but got 3.5 for actual downloads.

But previously I was getting 3.18 download speeds but got 3.5 for actual downloads.

A wifi extender isn't made for higher speeds. It's made for bigger range.

Yeah, that's basicly how they work

A repeater (extender) takes the current signal and resending it, but it also acts like a client on a wifi network - meaning that your throughput gets cut I half for the clients connecting to the repeater

If you want to add both range and capacity on your wifi network, you will have to add more access points (with their own radio)