Best NAS cpu and motherboard (within my budget)?

Dimi3os

Hey guys, I'm planning on finaly building a NAS and I was looking at some cpus and motherboards, my budget is around 400 euros for the cpu and motherboard. It needs gigabit ethernet and the capacity for at least 32 GB ram. I don't know if ECC is worth it since it'll just be for backups and Plex media server. Would it be better to get a separate cpu or a combo? The form factor doesn't matter.

why do you explicitly need 32GB ram? if you're not using ZFS (for which ecc is advised) you wont need nearly that much.

and i had plex running on a 1GB ram machine before :/

as for the cheapest you can get: go dumpster diving. (its technically not legal in belgium, but for a keg of beer some people gladly let you dive their dumpster)

why do you explicitly need 32GB ram? if you're not using ZFS (for which ecc is advised) you wont need nearly that much.

and i had plex running on a 1GB ram machine before :/

as for the cheapest you can get: go dumpster diving. (its technically not legal in belgium, but for a keg of beer some people gladly let you dive their dumpster)

I'm planning on using freenas so zfs. Guess ecc is needed then.

I'm planning on using freenas so zfs. Guess ecc is needed then.

its advised to use ECC, because if zfs encounters something odd it'll blame the hard drives, and wont think about other potential errors like RAM.