Can I fix an hdd with a bad board?

TheGeeker

I have an old IDE 400Gb drive that is short circuiting all 3 systems I have tried it on. Is there a way I can swap the board without paying huge fees to get the data off? The data is very very important and must be taken off. (Mind you I did not put important stuff on an old ide drive and I happen to be making a nas for THIS VERY REASON. Lel) 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

If you can get the board off of eBay or something, you should be able to remove the circuit board and install the "new" one if the board is exposed on the bottom.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I feel like this is possible

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

I have an old IDE 400Gb drive that is short circuiting all 3 systems I have tried it on. Is there a way I can swap the board without paying huge fees to get the data off? The data is very very important and must be taken off. (Mind you I did not put important stuff on an old ide drive and I happen to be making a nas for THIS VERY REASON. Lel) 

You can but it would need to be that exact same drive and revision of the PCB board.

Hey there TheGeeker,

As the guys explained, your best bet would be to find an identical drive from the same batch with the same PCB. If you don't feel confidednt-enough you can take this to a repair shot for them to swap the PCBs. Do have in mind that the best way to get the data of any drive is a data recovery company, but their services can be pretty costly and every other interaction with the drive decreases the chances of retrieving the data.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there TheGeeker,

As the guys explained, your best bet would be to find an identical drive from the same batch with the same PCB. If you don't feel confidednt-enough you can take this to a repair shot for them to swap the PCBs. Do have in mind that the best way to get the data of any drive is a data recovery company, but their services can be pretty costly and every other interaction with the drive decreases the chances of retrieving the data.

Captain_WD.

Yeah. I already found the excat same drive and am going to try. If that fails Ill take it to a company. Its not even my drive. I am real pissed that someone at work thought it was a real good ideal to keep his ONLY COPY of his beta program on a shit ide seagagte drive. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Yeah. I already found the excat same drive and am going to try. If that fails Ill take it to a company. Its not even my drive. I am real pissed that someone at work thought it was a real good ideal to keep his ONLY COPY of his beta program on a shit ide seagagte drive. 

Yeah, people will do that. I hope the board swap goes well for you. You should charge up that guy for making you do this though.