How Would You Do/Build It?

At the moment it's a little out of my budget, but its fun to hear different takes on how someone else would do it.  

The CHALLENGE:

How would you build a 4K ready HTPC?  Intel or AMD, nVidia or Radeon.  

Minimum requirements are that it has a smooth 4K resolution playback, and Surround sound Audio (5.1 at the low end but preferably expandable beyond).

Beyond that the sky's the limit.  Bonus points to any small form factor builds, quiet set ups, Passive cooling, Low power consumption and even appearance if someone is inspired to go that far.  

I'm very curious as to how people approach the 4K problem.  Lets see what you got.  

a mid range build would do it.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

For video playback its not a problem at all, for gaming however, thats a completly different conversation.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=197610&action=wish_lists

Move the 140mm fan on the D14 to the rear of the case. Tada! ^__^

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

with a gtx650ti, any cpu/mobo combo in the form factor you want and 4g generic ram.  I would use a Linux distro for media to reduce the resource load. Video has to go through HDMI, but the audio I would multi amp from 7.1 analogue output from either on-board or basic usb soundcard.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4K resolution?

You're looking at an AMD APU(A6 minimum) with a GTX video card to start off.

The Syndicate

Oh well, I don't consider a htpc you can't game on a proper htpc, so I guess I would do a rather pricey build.

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Microcenter) 
CPU Cooler:  Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($47.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Asus Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($275.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage:  A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($999.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($999.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case:  Silverstone SST-GD08B (Black) HTPC Case  ($150.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive:  Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($59.98 @ Outlet PC) 
Total: $4374.86

Then use external audio solutions, Put a 360 wireless adapter in the back for gaming, etc.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Grab any pc within the last 5 years and stick a 640 or new 630 in there or better an your done

Grab any pc within the last 5 years and stick a 640 or new 630 in there or better an your done

so long as it's a keppler 630.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

so long as it's a keppler 630.

yep thar be why I said new 630....