i5 4690 or i7 4790?

QiViN
Go to solution Solved by kameshss,

Get i7 with H series mobo.

Save some bucks. :)

Hey there guys,

Curenly I have an AMD FX-6100, a GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 (rev. 3.1), an R9 270X & 8GB DDR3 memmory.

I am concidering an update not only for gaming purposes but also for my Studies, I am Studying WEB design & development, picture editting, Video edditing, Programming and Game Development.

I have 300euros but I can ask my parents for some money.

I have done some research on my own and I have created some "bundles" that I am concidering:
i) i7 4790 + Gigabyte Z97-HD3 (1150/H97/DDR3) which will cost me ~465euro

ii) i7 4790 + MSI H87-G43 Gaming ~400euro
iii) i5 4690 + a motherboard. The CPU costs 257,90euros. I thought about the MSI H87-G43 Gaming  and totally it will cost me ~320euro

iv) AMD FX 9590 on the same motherboard ~ 275euro

v) Something you will suggest me.

I am not sure what to buy, should I even upgrade my CPU?
Or should I buy peripherals which I also need? (mouse + keyboard for gaming).

Get i7 with H series mobo.

Save some bucks. :)

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

If you don't want to OC don't get Z97 MBO, get H97 or even h81 if it has all the features you need.

Go for the i7

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

If you put a 9590 on that mobo its going to explode.

If you wont overclock go with what kameshss suggested.

If you want options 1 or 2, replace the i7-4790 with a Xeon E3 1231v3. A locked Core i7 is pointless and overpriced unless you absolutely must have onboard graphics.

The i5 is a reasonable option, but for only a bit more [in my region anyway] you can get the aforementioned Xeon and have Hyperthreading for your video editing.

Skip the FX-9590 entirely, the performance is mediocre and its power demands brutal.

If you don't plan to overclock and don't need SLI/Crossfire support, you don't need Z97. You could save more money with an H97 motherboard instead.

If you want options 1 or 2, replace the i7-4790 with a Xeon E3 1231v3. A locked Core i7 is pointless and overpriced unless you absolutely must have onboard graphics.

The i5 is a reasonable option, but for only a bit more [in my region anyway] you can get the aforementioned Xeon and have Hyperthreading for your video editing.

Skip the FX-9590 entirely, the performance is mediocre and its power demands brutal.

If you don't plan to overclock and don't need SLI/Crossfire support, you don't need Z97. You could save more money with an H97 motherboard instead.

This. came here to say get a Xeon. you'll save even more money, and still get the exact same performance. 

Plus xeon sound more bad ass  :ph34r:

Thanks everyone for your input!

I looked for the Xeon E3 1231v3 and it's really apealing but in every benchmark the i7 4790 outperfoms it.

The price difference is around 30euro and with the i7 you get extra performance  + some free stuff from the store worth around 20euro.
Also I can buy the i7 + the mobo from the same store and I can pay in "doses" which will actually help me a lot due to a shitty economic possition I am in. (Then I can use the 300euro for other things and )

Is the i7 worth this 30euro?

If I decide for the i7 4790 should I get the Gigabyte H81M-D2V (68euro) or MSI H87-G43 Gaming (69euro) or do you suggest something else?

If I decide for the i7 4790 should I get the Gigabyte H81M-D2V (68euro) or MSI H87-G43 Gaming (69euro) or do you suggest something else?

those boards might not support the haswell refresh i7-4790 out of the box, just make sure the shop you buy from could update the BIOS for you in store if need be.

I would go with the MSI board.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

those boards might not support the haswell refresh i7-4790 out of the box, just make sure the shop you buy from could update the BIOS for you in store if need be.

I would go with the MSI board.

According to GIGABYTES site http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=5131

It is available since BIOS version FB. Which I guess stands for Factory BIOS?

And on MSI website I found out that it needs 7816vB4 but the factory one is 7816vB0?

If this is the case I will have to go with the GIGABYTE one.