GTX 980 TI or Pascal?

cheekboys

I was wondering if I should upgrade to a GTX 980 TI or just wait for Pascal. I know when Pascal is released I will be asking the same question about the next card, but do you guys think it is worth it right now?

use? what do you have now? monitors/resolution 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

use? what do you have now? monitors/resolution 

GTX 780 SC at 1080P 60fps. I was planning to upgrade around December/January

I had the same question about that and x99 or skylake. I just went ahead and built a new PC now instead of waiting. Everyone says it and it is true if you keep waiting, you will never commit to buying.

GTX 780 SC at 1080P 60fps. I was planning to upgrade around December/January

I'd wait. Youll be fine until then :P pascal will be worth it IMO. If your just gaming at 60fps you should hold up pretty well until  then.

I had the same question about that and x99 or skylake. I just went ahead and built a new PC now instead of waiting. Everyone says it and it is true if you keep waiting, you will never commit to buying.

This is true though ^^

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

I'd wait. Youll be fine until then :P pascal will be worth it IMO. If your just gaming at 60fps you should hold up pretty well until  then.

This is true though ^^

How much of an upgrade do you think Pascal will be?

Personally I think the wait will be worth it, not only moving to HBM2 but the die shrink will be two nodes instead of the usual one, add to that the fact there will be DX12 games out by then and optimisations based on the experiences gained from how those games were developed. IMO it is likely to be more of a jump then we have seen in the recent past.

My 2c.

Personally I think the wait will be worth it, not only moving to HBM2 but the die shrink will be two nodes instead of the usual one, add to that the fact there will be DX12 games out by then and optimisations based on the experiences gained from how those games were developed. IMO it is likely to be more of a jump then we have seen in the recent past.

My 2c.

What I'm wondering is there's all this talk about the internal improvements to every new GPU but what do you think this will change in terms of performance?

What I'm wondering is there's all this talk about the internal improvements to every new GPU but what do you think this will change in terms of performance?

No one can tell you that until they release it but the improvements with this chip are substantial on paper, more so than the last couple of generations and the time allowed for a brand new API like DX12 to mature and for them to learn from the development process and how people use it will only be of benefit.

GTX 780 SC at 1080P 60fps. I was planning to upgrade around December/Januar

Most of the times i agree when it comes to not waiting forever to upgrade, the thing is the 780 is still a very solid card for 1080p, so more than waiting for an arquitecture, i'm wondering why to upgrade right now, current offerings won't make that much of a difference at 1080p.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Most of the times i agree when it comes to not waiting forever to upgrade, the thing is the 780 is still a very solid card for 1080p, so more than waiting for an arquitecture, i'm wondering why to upgrade right now, current offerings won't make that much of a difference at 1080p.

Is there anything in my system you think i should upgrade?

GPU: Gtx 780 SC ACX

Cpu: I5 4670K

RAM: 8Gb

Monitor: 1080P 60hz Asus monitor (don't know the exact model)

3 HDDs

As your on 1080p I'd with others in saying that you should wait, I did upgrade personally but thats because I was running a single HD 7950 on a 1440p monitor and really started to feel it.

As for an upgrade, if your 3 HDDS are actually HDDS you might wanna get yourself an SSD - prob the cheapest upgrade with the most obvious performance right away

Is there anything in my system you think i should upgrade?

GPU: Gtx 780 SC ACX

Cpu: I5 4670K

RAM: 8Gb

Monitor: 1080P 60hz Asus monitor (don't know the exact model)

3 HDDs

At 1080p 60 Hz, technically that's overkill, i have a 970 (almost same performance as a 780) and it can be used for 1440p, both are VERY strong 1440p cards. I agree with the comment above, getting an SSD might be the biggest inprovement you'll see out of your system, particularly in games like BF4 and GTA V and for general usage, it's just much better. Prices very a fair amount, but for most users a 'budget' SSD is more than enough

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148945

I like Samsung, that's what i have, and you can find reasonable prices on their EVO series

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10