Want To Buy [Macbook]

Hey LTT,

So my partners birthday is coming up and she has mentioned over the past few months that her laptop is broken (note, it's not broken it's just incredibly old and out-dated).

So I was thinking of getting her a macbook as she loves apple products (and I hate having to support them when they break <_< ).

I'm looking on ebay for one and can't seem to find any that are going within my budget so I was wondering if anyone had one and wanted to sell it?

My budget is: <$400 AUD

her birthday is in a month and I know she would be wrapped if I could pull this off.

Thanks in advance

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Um, you could get a MacBook but you would probably be buying outdated hardware, something like a Core Two Duo probably. Oh and if you want to buy one make a post on the classifieds. 

Quote me to get a reply!

Well I see a few under $400 CAD on ebay... I'm guessing you don't see any because they don't ship to Australia?

And for that price, the macbook will be horribly outdated, talking 5+ years old. You're really better off just buying her a tablet or something if you want to be fancy about it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Hey LTT,

So my partners birthday is coming up and she has mentioned over the past few months that her laptop is broken (note, it's not broken it's just incredibly old and out-dated).

So I was thinking of getting her a macbook as she loves apple products (and I hate having to support them when they break <_< ).

I'm looking on ebay for one and can't seem to find any that are going within my budget so I was wondering if anyone had one and wanted to sell it?

her birthday is in a month and I know she would be wrapped if I could pull this off.

Thanks in advance

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I'm sorry to say, but for $400 you are not going to get a good MacBook. If you really want to get her a new laptop, consider a windows laptop. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Well 400 USD/CAD is possible for a old Macbook Air........probably not AUD.

Try Gumtree and Craigslist first.

Well 400 USD/CAD is possible for a old Macbook Air........probably not AUD.

Try Gumtree and Craigslist first.

yeah nothing in my state unfortunately.

I'm sorry to say, but for $400 you are not going to get a good MacBook. If you really want to get her a new laptop, consider a windows laptop. 

I'm not after anything special, even just the first makes of the aluminum model. I have an SSD i can chuck in it. She would only be web browsing after all so specs arent very important.

No-one uses craigslist here in Tassie, we use gumtree which I've already had a look at

Well I see a few under $400 CAD on ebay... I'm guessing you don't see any because they don't ship to Australia?

And for that price, the macbook will be horribly outdated, talking 5+ years old. You're really better off just buying her a tablet or something if you want to be fancy about it.

I'm not after anything special, even just the first makes of the aluminum model. I have an SSD i can chuck in it. She would only be web browsing after all so specs arent very important.

Um, you could get a MacBook but you would probably be buying outdated hardware, something like a Core Two Duo probably. Oh and if you want to buy one make a post on the classifieds. 

A C2D model would be fine, it's only for web browsing really. All she does is online shopping and will probably listen to music with it.

I've got an iMac i got for dirt cheap that I'll install the OSX server software on. I'll run everything using Open directory and setup a bunch of permission stuff so it's less likely to break (theoretically).

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

A C2D model would be fine, it's only for web browsing really. All she does is online shopping and will probably listen to music with it.

I see quite a few on ebay that seem alright, but quite a few have issues and if you can work around then it should be fine.

Quote me to get a reply!

Hey all,

Just to update if anyone was wondering or wanting to find one cheap for themselves someone else.

I picked up a late 08 unibody macbook (13") for $250 AUD.

(c2d @2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb hdd)

Just doesn't have the wifi chip but a replacement is $30 or you can just put a $10 USB dongle in.

It's so hard to get a Macbook at your price. I'm not so sure by your currency but with that budget I think you will end up with Chromebook or HP stream 13 at very maximum. Sorry but I'm not so sure what to get at that budget

You can get Unibody MacBook White and then upgrade to the max ram and put in SSD and then you will run Yosemite just fine.

if you are a student or a teacher ( if you are in the education market basically ) you can probably get a discount on brand new stuff, you should check if you can get some discount.

if your girl just wants something branded you can buy a brand new ipad mini 2 for that amount of money, and maybe you can pair it with a Logitech K480 to seal the deal .

I will personally not a significant amount of money in any Apple device, especially the old ones. With that amount of money you can probably buy a convertible or a real tablet + 1-2 accessories .

if you are a student or a teacher ( if you are in the education market basically ) you can probably get a discount on brand new stuff, you should check if you can get some discount.

if your girl just wants something branded you can buy a brand new ipad mini 2 for that amount of money, and maybe you can pair it with a Logitech K480 to seal the deal .

I will personally not a significant amount of money in any Apple device, especially the old ones. With that amount of money you can probably buy a convertible or a real tablet + 1-2 accessories .

Ehh some people are happy to pay that bit extra for build quality. IMO the aluminum just gives it a premium finish

You can get Unibody MacBook White and then upgrade to the max ram and put in SSD and then you will run Yosemite just fine.

yeah I ended up picking up a late 08 model 13" macbook (the aluminum one), has 2gb RAM and a 250gb HDD. But I have a spare 128gb SSD and some extra RAM floating around my place that i'm going to chuck in it if I can

It's so hard to get a Macbook at your price. I'm not so sure by your currency but with that budget I think you will end up with Chromebook or HP stream 13 at very maximum. Sorry but I'm not so sure what to get at that budget

It is, unfortunately my budget was very limited but I managed to grab a pretty decent deal.

Only issue is a dent on the battery cover, but i will just get a replacement battery cover.

Hey LTT,

Thanks in advance

i would look on craigslist

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply