Fantasy game character race

Chas3Tech

I am developing a game with multiple races and I have come up with a few. I would like your opinion and suggestions on them.

I have not come up with names for all of them and will use colors and traits to represent them. First up I have three Main races/and, or factions. The Yellow race is a elve like race and is talent full in using magic and ranged attacks. Next up the Blue race is like dwarves mixed with Nords. They like to hit things with other things and are masters of machinery. Next up the Red race a orc like race they are a giants with horns they like combat and are powered by rage. Now the three races I think I need to improve. First off the orange race a cat like race they quick to their feet and are great at stealth. The Green race are reptile like race with lizard tail and tounge they also have a shell like patch on their backs. Finally the purple race a undead like good at combat great at respawning (has bonus for quick respawn. That is all I have come up with I will implement a werewolf and vampire transformation for all races. Even the cats will turn into wolves. I have a more advanced human type race for when you beat the game you unlock it. All said please leave a comment and one last question secret cow race anyone?

SNIP

So basically they are super cliché fantasy races

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well yes in terms yes they are but they have also been proven to work.

Firstly, I would suggest you focus on giving each race a distinct difference to the typical characteristics associated to the races. For example, elves being gods at magic or cats being super fast or good at sneaking. Focus on trying to give them something that separates them from those from The Elder Scrolls, Lord of the Rings or any other media. Once you give them a distinct flavor, they get far more depth.

Second, I would sit aside and create cultures for each race and capitals, and then create a very simple constructed language for each. It would also help to create a not so typical conflict between some of the races, like your cat species having a long lasting hatred for the dwarves because they cut down their forests or something (basically, a back history). This kind of thought gives them even further depth.

Lastly, I would suggest you also think about lowering the amount of races you have. Sometimes too much is just that...too much. If that is something you absolutely do not want to do, then ignore this last suggestion.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Ok so the first suggestions I have taken notes of. The last suggestion I would like your input on. What races should I take out and I also agree that too many is confusing but not enough creates lack of content.

Well, I think that the "Undead race" could be left out, and maybe either the cat or lizard race. If you do keep them though, setting distinct characteristics and back stories will help them appear less cluttersome.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Mabey I should just leave all of those three races left out and mabey add them later so I could focus on the other three

Mabey I should just leave all of those three races left out and mabey add them later so I could focus on the other three

That's good too. It would be okay to have them all if you could give them all the attention they need, but if you can't, keep it to a few.