Problem with cooling on Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

SuperGucio

Hi,

I have problem with cooling my CPU. As a coller I have Scythe Ninja Copper. I get 50oC idle and around 80oC at load using Prime95. I read that I should get significantly lower temperature. What can cause this situation. I have changed thermal paste to Noctua NT-H1 and I have no idea what can cause this problem. Maybe somebody will help me in my problem.

Thanks in advance.

No it's on standard clock. That's why I don't know what is the problem.

How's the airflow in the case? Is there a huge amount of dust built up? Have you tried with other programs to check the temps? Do you know how to apply thermal paste the correct way?

So I have NZXT Hush case with one fan at front and one fan at back. There is no dust in there. I have tried coretemp and realtemp. They show the same temperature. I applyed thermal paste with the line method because I heard it is the best.

Try to remove the heatsink and reassemble it back to the motherboard,.. Make sure that all 4 clip is in its place.. Maybe the heatsink didn't seat properly on the CPU..

If the problem still occur, you have to buy another heatsink... Why don't you use the stock cooler.?

Because I wanted to overclock. Temperature is about 72oC when it is overclocked at 3,33GHz. Is it ok now?

Those are normal temps for that processor. It's an older CPU... they tend to run hot because they aren't as efficient as newer processors It draws more wattage, more volts, which equates to more heat. It's simple physics, air cooling just can't keep up with how much heat is being generated. But, because those are normal temps you don't have anything to worry about with that processor.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD