First Time Building A PC

That's not gonna get 60fps on high but it still will run AAA games with a decent fps.  Any chance you can spend another $100?

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

reviews on newegg for the stock cpu cooler say its bad, consider buying an aftermarket

FM2+ is a dead socket, go AM3+, wait for Zen, or go intel LGA 1150

A 960 is not going to get high settings/60 frames on all games, especially something like Metal Gear Solid V or MKX

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

A 960 is not going to get high settings/60 frames on all games, especially something like Metal Gear Solid V or MKX

Why does everyone worry over a 'dead socket'? The Athlon is a decent CPU for the price, nothing wrong with it considering its $75.

Why does everyone worry over a 'dead socket'? The Athlon is a decent CPU for the price, nothing wrong with it considering its $75.

I'd still go for a Pentium G3258 over the Athlon.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

but compare that to the upgrade path of the g3258 / an I3. both of those are cheap and can be swapped for very high end chips or even just an I5

//Does not work. Needs fixing

Most AMD sockets are "dead" they're not going to be continued 

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card  ($161.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Apex Vortex 3620 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Directron) 
Total: $567.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-13 01:34 EDT-0400
This is what I would recommend, if you need to cut the price down to exactly 500, Pentium and cheapest Z97 you can get

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b2QLTW

The power supply is a lot better plus it's fully modular which will really help when working in a small case.

The case is a little smaller because you're using micro ATX anyway and it could help with desk space.

The hard drive is a few buck cheaper.

I took away the optical drive because you will probably never use it and it will save you a few bucks.

If you can get another $15 or so I think this would make it better, especially the power supply.

I'd still go for a Pentium G3258 over the Athlon.

To me everyone who says this is pretty much of the mindset 'all AMD CPUs are junk'. 2 non-hyperthreaded cores just are not enough nowadays. Far Cry 4 started it, and other games will probably follow, needing 4 cores to run; more and more games/software are being optimised for 4 or more cores; and with DX12, some new games might well run better on the Athlon. Not to mention ANY multitasking, where the Athlon blows the Pentium away. Also remember that the Athlon is overclockable, just like the Pentium. Yes the Pentium has better Single core performance, but here that is somewhat less important.

but compare that to the upgrade path of the g3258 / an I3. both of those are cheap and can be swapped for very high end chips or even just an I5

Unless you are upgrading within a few months, Z/H97 I3s and I5s are going to be out of stock/ very expensive. And if you are upgrading in a few months just wait and save that time and get something better to be honest.

Snip

This might be better, got a 380.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Directron)

Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 2GB PCS+ Video Card ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.70 @ Mwave)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $546.54

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-13 01:41 EDT-0400

Unless you are upgrading within a few months, Z/H97 I3s and I5s are going to be out of stock/ very expensive. And if you are upgrading in a few months just wait and save that time and get something better to be honest.

At least when you do upgrade you don't have to buy a new motherboard.

At least when you do upgrade you don't have to buy a new motherboard.

... But you would is my point. Haswell is an old generation now. By this time next year or earlier, all Haswell I3/5/7s will be out of stock or really expensive, meaning that it is cheaper to buy a new mobo.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DKzHgs

I'm new to PC building btw

My budget is $500. I plan to run most games on High/60 FPS. Hopefully this will do when I buy it around late September/early October.

Spend the extra $150, IT'S WORTH IT.

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($83.31 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($57.55 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $659.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-13 01:49 EDT-0400

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

dude you cant get what u want for that price unless you get a bunch of used crap. Spend the extra money and wait. it's well worth it. my 980 dollar build is only able to run games like gta v at 60 frames per second and batman arkham knight at like 30. so unless ur gonna be playing tf2, csgo and minecraft all day i suggest you wait my friend, it's well worth it. 

in case ur wondering my computer does do games like tf2 and minecraft at 300 fps+

FM2+ has newer CPU's than AM3+ CPU's

Spend the extra $150, IT'S WORTH IT.

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($83.31 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($57.55 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $659.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-13 01:49 EDT-0400

Dat SSD is not great,

Decent motherboard, I have the ATX version

The R9 290 would be bottle-necked

Expensive case (But a good case) but I would go cheaper.

Most AMD sockets are "dead" they're not going to be continued 

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card  ($161.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Apex Vortex 3620 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Directron) 
Total: $567.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-13 01:34 EDT-0400
This is what I would recommend, if you need to cut the price down to exactly 500, Pentium and cheapest Z97 you can get

That is a much better PC for the money.

It's only $65 more, and has the ability to upgrade in the future to a better possessor.

That is a much better PC for the money.

It's only $65 more, and has the ability to upgrade in the future to a better possessor.

Thats what I was thinking when I created this build, you could always upgrade to a 4790 is you needed to. a Unlocked Motherboard and a unlocked chip is a must if he decides to go along the 4690k - 4790k and the H97 should be fine if he goes along the 4160-4460 or 4690- 4790