What's the big deal with no SD Cards in Phones?

I am a bit confused lately about all this buzz.  I mean really, is there any other use to SD cards than holding music/videos/photos?  Only about half the apps I can move to the SD card, and even then they don't even move much data at all.  For music, most of it is cloud based streaming, but if it isn't, it is highly unlikely you have 20,000+ songs to take up even some of the space on the card.  As for movies, they are mostly streaming based nowadays, but if you do want to download, I can fit nearly 10 in 1080p and still have some room left.  As for photos, it's not like the photos take up a whole ton of space, they aren't a DSLR.  You aren't taking thousands of pictures a day.  

TL;DR.  Am I missing something here or is everybody getting WAY too overhyped about not having SD cards in modern phones.

The people complaining are the small percent  xD we like space.

SNIP

Some of us like to store lots of data on our phones, my 128gb iPhone 6 only has like 15gb of storage free right now

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I am a bit confused lately about all this buzz.  I mean really, is there any other use to SD cards than holding music/videos/photos?  Only about half the apps I can move to the SD card, and even then they don't even move much data at all.  For music, most of it is cloud based streaming, but if it isn't, it is highly unlikely you have 20,000+ songs to take up even some of the space on the card.  As for movies, they are mostly streaming based nowadays, but if you do want to download, I can fit nearly 10 in 1080p and still have some room left.  As for photos, it's not like the photos take up a whole ton of space, they aren't a DSLR.  You aren't taking thousands of pictures a day.  

TL;DR.  Am I missing something here or is everybody getting WAY too overhyped about not having SD cards in modern phones.

People get way to overhyped about not having SD cards. I'm sure some people genuinely need extra storage, but most people probably buy the lowest storage model, stick a crap SD card in, and never use it. I've seen too many phones with "127.5/128gb free"

What is the point of 10 hard drives in raid 0?

There IS NO POINT.

A 32gb version of a phone is much more expensive than a 16gb phone and a 16gb SD card but if there is no SD card slot, you can't just put an SD card in it to expand the memory, you need to buy the larger version outright.

Some of us like to store lots of data on our phones, my 128gb iPhone 6 only has like 15gb of storage free right now

Please tell me how you can achieve this. I have used up only about 50gb, including the OS

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Please tell me how you can achieve this. I have used up only about 50gb, including the OS

I lied 104gb used, 9.8gb available

music is 31.6gb, photos/video are 15.2gb, the rest are apps,  xcom is 3.3gb,for example

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A 32gb version of a phone is much more expensive than a 16gb phone and a 16gb SD card but if there is no SD card slot, you can't just put an SD card in it to expand the memory, you need to buy the larger version outright.

+1

Removing memory card slots from mobile devices is price gouging. The price difference between, for example, a 32GB and 64GB version of the same device is almost pure profit. The mark-up on the flash storage is ridiculous. Device manufacturers know that if they offered the option of a MicroSD slot people would be much more inclined to buy the cheaper option (e.g. 32GB instead of 64GB) then add their own 32GB (or larger) MicroSD card, because you don't need really fast storage for pictures/movies/music etc.

Apps take up alot of space. so do pictures.

the world we live in today we have people with like 10000000000000000 pictures so....

This is the truest thing i have ever read.  but yet, people keep every single picture and never back them up to a computer.  I usually go through my pictures every week or so to trash all the bad ones, and then I backup and file the good ones.

People get way to overhyped about not having SD cards. I'm sure some people genuinely need extra storage, but most people probably buy the lowest storage model, stick a crap SD card in, and never use it. I've seen too many phones with "127.5/128gb free"

Exactly what is in my phone right now.  Android really took control of what you can and can't do with an SD card lately, and I can't even fill more than a couple GB for my life.  Apps only transfer 50mb or so, but still keep lots of data on the phone.  I mean, I genuinely think that some people do need an SD card and cannot live without one, but the majority of people would be fine without one.

Makes 100% perfect sense, but what do you use that extra SD card for?  My point is they have become so obsolete lately and you really have to WORK to fill them, you can't just set them as an extension for your phones storage anymore.

Makes 100% perfect sense, but what do you use that extra SD card for?  My point is they have become so obsolete lately and you really have to WORK to fill them, you can't just set them as an extension for your phones storage anymore.

My photos take up about half of my 16gb phone's storage, apps another quarter, and that doesnt leave much for movies and stuff for trips.

My photos take up about half of my 16gb phone's storage, apps another quarter, and that doesnt leave much for movies and stuff for trips.

I guess I am one of the select few that clears up their photos often and uses only Spotify for music.  I only fill up a few GB on my 32gb Note 4

-> Apps can quickly add up. Especially if you are running Lollipop or later release of Android with ART.

-> Cloud streaming is not feasible in rural areas. 4G/3G data caps are problematic too.

-> As camera megapixel count increases, so does the file space needed.

-> Even decent quality fast microSD cards are much cheaper than the difference between say, a 16GB phone and a 32GB version.

-> It's also convenient for transferring files between portable devices without requiring a PC.

The popularity of Nexus devices shows that it's not a deal breaker for lots of people, but for many it is. And adding an SD card slot can never hurt, always better to have one than not. If people don't need to use it, they can easily ignore it and go about their merry way just fine. The same is not true if you do need one and it's not there.