How Much to Sell Non-Working Receivers For?

Benjio

I have two Onkyo receivers, one which I believe needs a new speaker relay and I think the other may have over-heating issues. They both sometimes work, the one that needs the new relay will occasionally fade out on one of the channels. The other one usually doesn't turn on at all, but when it does it seems to work fine. 

I'm going to put them on Craigslist as I don't want them to keep taking up room in my house, but I'm not really sure how much I should charge if at all. So how much do you think they're worth? $0, $5, $10?

uxhI3CXl.jpg

OJDeWZzl.jpg

They are so pretty

Are you just post-farming or is that supposed to have any relevance to this thread?

Are you just post-farming or is that supposed to have any relevance to this thread?

1 post here and there wouldn't make a dif. BUT they are pretty.

but if you must want relevance

Depending whats wrong 10-25 $

1 post here and there wouldn't make a dif. BUT they are pretty.

but if you must want relevance

So you pretty much just admitted to post-farming and you didn't even read my original post?

I'd say scrap them, to be honest.

Yeah, I guess I may rather just give them away to someone if they think they might be able to fix them.

So you pretty much just admitted to post-farming and you didn't even read my original post?

no, i was stating a fact in my op, i am not post farming.

your question

how much do you think they're worth? $0, $5, $10?

I answered 

i did read it.

15$ for cross fade

25$ for sometimes on/off

Yeah, I guess I may rather just give them away to someone if they think they might be able to fix them.

Those circuits have pretty low tolerances, so if they're dead, I'd say they're dead for good. no one would put in the time and effort into trying to make them work again, it just wouldn't be worth it. Just get rid of them somehow, is what I'd advise. I'm trying to get rid of a load of stuff in my basement and I just wish I could delete things from there because... it's a basement. If I move something out of the way, it just moves somewhere else in the basement, it doesn't actually go away.

Receivers Generally last a long time and people dont upgrade them very fast so you have a nice market for old spare parts. If you know how to identify the parts you can piece if out on ebay and make a little change. If you dont want that headache I would say to post them online and ask for fair offers...see what people offer and play off of that. 

I would fix them. Soldering isnt hard. I wish you were closer to reno nevada as I would take them off your hands...

Well I tried fixing the one that I believe has a bad speaker relay, but I believe the contact is corroded from what other people have been saying and I'd have to break open the plastic box that its in and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get at. The other one I honestly have no idea where I would go about finding what's wrong with it. 

Well I tried fixing the one that I believe has a bad speaker relay, but I believe the contact is corroded from what other people have been saying and I'd have to break open the plastic box that its in and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get at. The other one I honestly have no idea where I would go about finding what's wrong with it. 

I have fixed these things for years. if the contact is corroded, desolder the relay by using desoldering braid or a desoldering iron and put a new one in from mouser.com

Receivers Generally last a long time and people dont upgrade them very fast so you have a nice market for old spare parts. If you know how to identify the parts you can piece if out on ebay and make a little change. If you dont want that headache I would say to post them online and ask for fair offers...see what people offer and play off of that. 

Yeah.. I don't think I really would want to be bothered with all that, haha. I think I may post them and see what people would give me like you said, thanks.

I have fixed these things for years. if the contact is corroded, desolder the relay by using desoldering braid or a desoldering iron and put a new one in from mouser.com

How would I go about finding a replacement that would work?

How would I go about finding a replacement that would work?

see if the relay (plastic box) has a part number of some sort on it. if not, look for specs such as 12v 5A dpst. This means that its coil switches at 12v, the contacts can handle 5A, and it is Double Pole Single Throw. Double pole means that is has two sets of electrically isolated but mechanically connected contacts and single throw means that it only has contacts for one state (closed or open). once you know this, you can find one with the same pin layout. Or find one with a completely different pin layout and bodge-wire it in place...

I mean, onkyo is nice so if they can be fixed

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

see if the relay (plastic box) has a part number of some sort on it. if not, look for specs such as 12v 5A dpst. This means that its coil switches at 12v, the contacts can handle 5A, and it is Double Pole Single Throw. Double pole means that is has two sets of electrically isolated but mechanically connected contacts and single throw means that it only has contacts for one state (closed or open). once you know this, you can find one with the same pin layout. Or find one with a completely different pin layout and bodge-wire it in place...

There appears to be two relays, a 12VDC and a 24VDC one.

zfcqwTal.jpg

(The bottom one says VG12TM on it) 

Any idea which would need replacing? 

There appears to be two relays, a 12VDC and a 24VDC one.

zfcqwTal.jpg

(The bottom one says VG12TM on it) 

Any idea which would need replacing?

I would run the unit while open and try to get it to misbehave. Then tap the relays and see if anything changes. Just dont touch live bits...

I would run the unit while open and try to get it to misbehave. Then tap the relays and see if anything changes. Just dont touch live bits...

Will do. :)

I'll report back, thanks for the help!

It seems to be the lower 12VDC one. I found a replacement here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/VG12TM-VG-1A/1126051_32325357057.html

Does that seem like a good option to go with? I would assume that it is being sold used, would that still be okay do you think?

If I was cleaning and getting rid of old stuff I would just give them away on craigslist for whoever wants to pick it up. Unless you're thinking of using them, fixing is just not worth the effort and time to make a few bucks.