How do i remove the fan on AMD stock heatsink

YT2002
Go to solution Solved by Valkyrie Lenneth,

It is really flush against the metal

check this.. imagine the red line is the screwdriver, the yellow(push screwdriver down thus causing leverage, to the heatsink) and the green is where u put the flat tip ( press it under the plastic, dont worry its not fragile really )

should easily pop off once u know how ( had troubles in the begin too but now il pop em in seconds )

post-243340-0-39029300-1439113766.jpg

I am trying to take of the fan on an AMD FX 8320 heatsink but the clips are really tight together. Is there any other way i can remove the fan on the heatsink

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I am trying to take of the fan on an AMD FX 8320 heatsink but the clips are really tight together. Is there any other way i can remove the fan on the heatsink

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

Use a screwdriver to pry the tabs back, its a bit finicky and fragile, so be careful and patient :)

Hammer...........

You cant really it is so brittle it will break (trust me ;) ) just buy a hyper 212 evo and call it a day!!!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

nope, that's the only way to do it

try ti wiggle those clips before forcing them. if you really want that fan off you'll have to take into consideration the option of accidentally breaking those clips even if i think that;s a small chance of happening

even if it would happen you could use some superglue to put it back together(if you break that manny clips :D )

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

The 4 screws on the top of the fan!!!

There are no screws

Use a screwdriver to pry the tabs back, its a bit finicky and fragile, so be careful and patient :)

I tried its so close to the heatsink

Hammer...........

You cant really it is so brittle it will break (trust me ;) ) just buy a hyper 212 evo and call it a day!!!

I already have a 612 v2. Just curious

There are no screws

I tried its so close to the heatsink

can you show me a picture of your heat sink?

You can't really, pretty sure they're fixed on.

Best bet is to use a knife or prying tool to get the tabs back or snapped off.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I already have a 612 v2. Just curious

Ahhhhhh kk m8! Yeah try pry and pray with a flat head screwdriver?

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

easy.. put a flat screwdriver(smaller better) under the plastic right where the clips are and pop it off ( did it many times with amd coolers ) ... yeah their pretty tight  but if ur careful actually doing it near the clips it cant damage really

itl pop free using leverage

(◑‿◐)

easy.. put a flat screwdriver(smaller better) under the plastic right where the clips are and pop it off ( did it many times with amd coolers ) ... yeah their pretty tight  but if ur careful actually doing it near the clips it cant damage really

itl pop free using leverage

(◑‿◐)

post-165501-0-10072400-1439113445_thumb.

post-165501-0-10072400-1439113445_thumb.

yeap those are the ones that are really easy to pop the coolers off, lemme see if i got one right here in my desk or somthing il show u with a lil vid haha

(◑‿◐)

You have this heatsink right?

stock-hsf.jpg

Disregard the AVC branding.

fan is slimmer than that

yeap those are the ones that are really easy to pop the coolers off

With a screwdriver? even my smallest one has trouble

With a screwdriver? even my smallest one has trouble

yeah u need to use leverage right where the clip is, stick it right under the plastic there and then lever it by pressing ur screwdriver down ... and POP its off

u need to stick it in the upper part lemme paint it for u cant find a heatsink amd atm

(◑‿◐)

This one?

0_AMD-STOCK-COPPER-HEATSINK-FAN_0_0_T.jp

This is the only other one I know of that doesn't use screws.

Similar to that. Check an image above

yeah u need to use leverage right where the clip is, stick it right under the plastic there and then lever it by pressing ur screwdriver down ... and POP its off

check this.. imagine the red line is the screwdriver, the yellow(push screwdriver down thus causing leverage, to the heatsink) and the green is where u put the flat tip ( press it under the plastic, dont worry its not fragile really )

should easily pop off once u know how ( had troubles in the begin too but now il pop em in seconds )

(◑‿◐)