Looking to buy a printer for sign making ($2.5k budget)

This thread has turned into using the LTT forum to answer the questions I had. Here we go:

I am looking for a printer or other apparatus to create signs. These signs must be water proof and relatively durable. They also must be able to be large, probably never exceeding 5ft by 4ft. I would like them to be in color for things like colored text, simple images, and borders. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $500-$2500, depending on the capabilities of the recommended device.

I'd love to know some devices that can do some or all of these things, and the price point/link to model so I can get a jist of what spending more can get me.

Thanks!

Original Title: Where's a good forum to get help with Printer questions?

I've got a decent amount of questions and am looking into getting a new pretty expensive (somewhere in the $500-$2500 range) printer, and was wondering if you all knew of some good forums to go to for the best help with that.

I love the LTT forum, and I'm sure there are some printer experts here, but I'm sure there's a much better place for help.

I couldn't find anywhere in the CoC that is against this, but I'm sorry if I missed something.

edit: I am capable of using google don't worry, I was wondering if I could get some recommendations from users experience, thanks

That's a BIG price gap 

Haha yeah, it depends on what you can really do as you raise your budget, I'm not sure if I want a huge label maker or a full fledged printer :P

Printer for what purpose?  I can give you some advice.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Printer for what purpose?  I can give you some advice.

Large ish signs (EDIT: never exceeding more than 5 feet by 4 feet) atleast in black and white

would like to be able to make good looking signs with color (for text colors, simple images, borders) depending on how much more an apparatus capable would cost.

Material and ink on sign has to be waterproof and somewhat durable.

Thanks!

edit: OP updated thread changed

Oh boy....

60 inches by 48 inches, do you want a printer that can print that size all at once or will you print smaller parts and stick it together later?  A printer that can print at least 48 inches wide is going to be huge. 

E.g. Something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758251-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_CQ113AB1K_Designjet_Z5200_PostScript_44.html

What materials do you want the printer to be able to print on directly?  Apart from specialized industrial "printers", most consumer and commercial printers either use rolls or sheet feeders.  They don't accept anything thicker than a couple of millimeters thickness.  So if you plan to print directly onto something like the thickness of a leather belt or even something like plywood or metal you need some sort of industrial printer capable of printing directly onto various types of materials.  Additionally you need to know what type of ink to use for different materials and change out cartridges as necessary.

Ink: consumer printers are either laser or inkjet.  If you want to print a sign and the ink has to be weatherproof, it has to be treated (e.g. with UV light) and coated with a protective layer.  I am not certain there are consumer printers that can use such ink cartridges for your budget of $2500.  You may have to do some additional leg work yourself.

One thing you can do is buy something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/738107-REG/Epson_SP4900HDR_Stylus_Pro_4900_Inkjet.html

Print your signs, for the 5x4' sized ones, in sections.  Stitch them together onto the backplate material with adhesive.  You can print on sheets of paper, transparent plastic, canvas, etc as long as the printer can support it.  Afterwards spray on a coat of clear acrylic with UV protection.

I think it's better you talk to people who do work in the business of making signs.

They will have better advice than me, I have experience only with printers for the sake of photos and images.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Oh boy....

60 inches by 48 inches, do you want a printer that can print that size all at once or will you print smaller parts and stick it together later? A printer that can print at least 48 inches wide is going to be huge.

E.g. Something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758251-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_CQ113AB1K_Designjet_Z5200_PostScript_44.html

What materials do you want the printer to be able to print on directly? Apart from specialized industrial "printers", most consumer and commercial printers either use rolls or sheet feeders. They don't accept anything thicker than a couple of millimeters thickness. So if you plan to print directly onto something like the thickness of a leather belt or even something like plywood or metal you need some sort of industrial printer capable of printing directly onto various types of materials. Additionally you need to know what type of ink to use for different materials and change out cartridges as necessary.

Ink: consumer printers are either laser or inkjet. If you want to print a sign and the ink has to be weatherproof, it has to be treated (e.g. with UV light) and coated with a protective layer. I am not certain there are consumer printers that can use such ink cartridges for your budget of $2500. You may have to do some additional leg work yourself.

One thing you can do is buy something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/738107-REG/Epson_SP4900HDR_Stylus_Pro_4900_Inkjet.html

Print your signs, for the 5x4' sized ones, in sections. Stitch them together onto the backplate material with adhesive. You can print on sheets of paper, transparent plastic, canvas, etc as long as the printer can support it. Afterwards spray on a coat of clear acrylic with UV protection.

I think it's better you talk to people who do work in the business of making signs.

They will have better advice than me, I have experience only with printers for the sake of photos and images.

Thanks so much man I really appreciate your help.

Your idea with the spray on acrylic seems pretty promising, because I could just print on paper, attach it to a thicker durable surface, then spray the acrylic over the paper. Maybe that's a dumb idea but that was my first thought. Any thoughts?

I think I'll look into this more and maybe ask a local print shop.

Thanks again man, it really helps when people like you spend the extra time for a clear concise response like this, means a lot to me.

Or you could laminate it with a plastic film...

The biggest problem will be exposure to direct sunlight.  Commercial/consumer printer ink is sensitive to that.  UV from sunlight can cause the colors to fade with time.