NSA Map of Disrupted Terrorist Activity - "Homeland"

EChondo

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/08/welcome-homeland-mexico-and-canada/67874/

We noticed a little detail from yesterday's Senate Judiciary Committee meeting that seemed worth highlighting. During that meeting, Senator Dianne Feinstein of California, an unabashed and adamant defender of the NSA's surveillance programs, had the duty of presenting a map created by the NSA showing terror activity it has disrupted.

c820d32b846a69878b4373214a8cd287_623x537

You may notice, as we did, the odd use of "homeland" in this context. It's a tired critique by now, noting how the adoption of this expression to refer to the United States echoes weird Communist rhetoric from the mid-20th century. Regardless: Isn't "homeland" a weird term?

But you may also be surprised to learn that our homeland now includes both Mexico and Canada, two areas that we understood to be autonomous nations that are not part of the United States. Normally, this would be written off as a design goof, as one of the NSA's (newly adept) graphics guys using a little more light blue than he ought.

This being the NSA, we're not inclined to offer that benefit of the doubt. Is this a way of blending in Canadian and Mexican terror activity disruptions (which, we'll remind you, is different from actual plots interrupted) to give a larger sense of the NSA's success at halting terrorism within our borders?

We don't and can't know, of course, since the information about almost all of these 54 events is classified. Just know that the homeland is safe — be it Tampa, Toronto, or Tijuana — and that it's all thanks to the NSA.

During a Senate Judiciary Meeting on July 31st, it has been pointed out that the NSA's map of disrupted terrorist activity has included Greenland(possibly Iceland), Canada, Mexico, United States and nearly all parts of Central America are included in a "Homeland" term. No one knows the reasoning behind the term "Homeland", but some are arguing that it's a vague term to include other nations while not directly including them to benefit the cause of the NSA's surveillance program.

Homeland, to me, means more of homeland security and how far our local observations and influences go in the Western Hemisphere. Do you guys have a thought of what "Homeland" could mean in this sense?

Dear United States of America,

We are NOT part of your "Homeland".

Sincerely,

All of Canada.

kthxbye

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

whatever the government have authority over i guess is its homeland?

i agree its very strange canada and mexico are included as "homeland" maybe the US has such close ties with those countries that they have authority to do anything in them?

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

I'm ignoring OP and referring to that map.

It's questionable at best those are all solely linked to the NSA and very debatable that those situations would have not been otherwise prevented by the global conglomerate of intelligence agencies that don't have a otoscope rammed into my ear from my phone or snickering at the penis enhancement and sexy hot singles in my area emails.

edit: Homeland most likely plainly refers to the American continent, interest mostly derived from proximity and shared borders. It's clear that Mexico, Canada, and parts of South America are integral to the success of America and are highly involved due strictly to the fact of location. Therefore, "homeland."

As for the parts of Northern Europe included, hell if i know.

Edited by helping

Error: 410

Looks like South America and Australia sunk into the ocean.

but it does look like they added "europe" "asia" and "africa" maybe they just included it to be more uniform?

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Looks like South America and Australia sunk into the ocean.

probably just because there wasn't any "terror threats" involving the US

Or, the NSA hasn't penetrated those Governments yet.

Remember, this is a map about terrorist activities "disrupted", not threats. I highly doubt there aren't terrorist activities in South America that include the U.S.

Or, the NSA hasn't penetrated those Governments yet.

Remember, this is a map about terrorist activities "disrupted", not threats. I highly doubt there aren't terrorist activities in South America that include the U.S.

well the NSA has definitely penetrated australia so guess the only place that it doesent have authority over is south america then?

well the NSA has definitely penetrated australia so guess the only place that it doesent have authority over is south america then?

Or, both places have NSA surveillance in place, but neither have had terrorist activity disrupted yet, which I could believe for Australia, but not South America.

Every agency in the world has crap in every country in the world. Just accept it and don't say you're going to kill someone online

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

The US isn't on the map either. :x

As a matter of fact, didn't the US declare war on "Global" terror? If so, they are not doing a very good job. Having 3 continents listed out of 7 makes me question their commitment. Antarctica i know isn't that populated but they cannot ignore our frozen little buddies down there.

The US isn't on the map either. :x

As a matter of fact, didn't the US declare war on "Global" terror? If so, they are not doing a very good job. Having 3 continents listed out of 7 makes me question their commitment. Antarctica i know isn't that populated but they cannot ignore our frozen little buddies down there.

They're gonna melt soon... There's not going to be much left, there's not much land

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Every agency in the world has crap in every country in the world. Just accept it and don't say you're going to kill someone online

you're being way too general there.. i doubt they have much agencies in north korea if any...

WAIT THATS GENIUS TO SAVE MYSELF FROM THE NSA I CAN MOVE TO NORTH KOREA xD

you're being way too general there.. i doubt they have much agencies in north korea if any...

North Korea has its own set of military and government powerhouses.

I am good at computer

Spoiler

WAIT THATS GENIUS TO SAVE MYSELF FROM THE NSA I CAN MOVE TO NORTH KOREA xD

I don't America going to nuke them soon, maybe not a great idea

I am good at computer

Spoiler

North Korea has its own set of military and government powerhouses.

"Every agency in the world has crap in every country in the world"

i think you may have forgot what the subject was

"Every agency in the world has crap in every country in the world"

i think you may have forgot what the subject was

Probably, I'm just getting a little sick of all the stuff about the NSA when everyone does it

I am good at computer

Spoiler

I don't America going to nuke them soon, maybe not a great idea

i doubt they will if north korea gets nukes first.

and you cant just "nuke them" there right on the border of china so china would defend them and most of there population is innocent so you would get a huge backlash, maybe strategic bombing but not nukes

The US has relationships with every country on the planet. by political force normally. North Korea is just doing their own thing and the US is not cool with it because they like total control. 

So Feinstein doesn't agree with violence in video games and guns ( I think, well of course she doesn't, she's from California)( <---sorry if some people don't like this) but she supports this? Plus, how many of these terrorist plots were foiled in the USA? I would like to know more of how they stopped these terrorist plots, but that would help terrorist change to how they stopped these plots. Looks like it's legitimate though. 

P.S Don't make my first sentence into a debate.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Probably, I'm just getting a little sick of all the stuff about the NSA when everyone does it

but not everybody has as much power as the nsa to potentially store everything if they wanted to

i doubt they will if north korea gets nukes first.

and you cant just "nuke them" there right on the border of china so china would defend them and most of there population is innocent so you would get a huge backlash, maybe strategic bombing but not nukes

America would retaliate of North Korea shoots first... But I would worry that North Korea would release a film that says America shot first. Like star wars

I am good at computer

Spoiler

As for the term "homeland" a few other country leaders labeled themselves as that and i dont think any of them turned out too well. lol. just a matter of time.