I'm Torn... Dell U2415 vs ASUS PA248Q

santsys

So i'm torn... I need to get a new monitor for my setup, and i've been looking at 24" varieties... Right now it's down to two, the Dell U2415 and the Asus PA248Q (they seem like the best for the price, around $300 USD).

My current setup is 2x Dell 19" monitors and 1x Dell 24"... What i am going to do is add a new 24" and get rid of one of the 19"s.

The smaller monitor is basically for my e-mail. They rest is for actual work, coding, video/picture editing, etc. and the occasional xBox One game (will be connected to the old or new 24").

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

The U2415 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090259-REG/dell_u2415_24_ultrasharp_led_monitor.html

The PA248Q - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/877854-REG/ASUS_PA248Q_PA248Q_24_Widescreen_LED.html

Side note, this is all connected to a EVGA GTX 980 TI SC card in my system.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Well both are great options (100% towards the higher end of 1920x1200 16:10 IPS panels, and the price of course matches) 

That Dell series is known for being a great Panel with super sexy thin bezels, and the PA series known for their pre professionally factory calibrated displays, for amazing colour accuracy. 

So it just comes down to if you want that pre done calibration or the super thin bezels. If I were you, I'd probably take the Dell, especially if you have the monitors side by side because those thin bezels will make the difference. 

Not to mention the Dell has good factory calibration anyway, and the anti glare coating on it is a little lighter, so not as 'grainy' looking. 

But with a 980Ti you could easily power a 1440p display, would you consider that? 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I have both of them :) They're both good. The PA248Q I think has a slight edge in the on-screen menu, it has better scaling options (notably 16:9 support, which is important for hooking up consoles) and more advanced color balance controls, but ultimately I don't use any of these things very often, and the Dell is a better looking monitor with a less aggressive anti-glare coating and other perks like daisy-chaining. The smaller bezel also lends itself better to multi-monitor setups than the PA248Q.

Overall, I'd take the Dell. If you're going to run a console with it though, that could be trouble, since it'll end up being stretched to 16:10.

Thanks for the info! I was leaning towards the dell since I've had good luck with them in the past.

I currently use a 16:10 with my Xbox and I still suck the same amount with it. So I'm not too worried there.

I'm more concerned about the color correctness of the monitors for web/print/media, because that is always giving me a hard time with my older 19" dells.

But with a 980Ti you could easily power a 1440p display, would you consider that? 

My only issue with the 1440p display is they are usually 27", and I just don't really have the space for it... And I already have a 24" display, so they would go together better... maybe? 

More or less I'd consider anything, but the 24" seems like the better fit, due to space concerns...

That Dell series is known for being a great Panel with super sexy thin bezels, and the PA series known for their pre professionally factory calibrated displays, for amazing colour accuracy. 

I can always get something like the, Datacolor Spyder5Express, but that's $100 USD... maybe a more expensive monitor is better and not to have to fuss with all of that, though getting all of my monitors on the same color calibration would be so, so, so nice... This is going to turn into my desktop build, that went from like $2000, to $3500 over night. :)

I can always get something like the, Datacolor Spyder5Express, but that's $100 USD... maybe a more expensive monitor is better and not to have to fuss with all of that, though getting all of my monitors on the same color calibration would be so, so, so nice... This is going to turn into my desktop build, that went from like $2000, to $3500 over night. :)

The U2415 and PA248Q are both factory color-calibrated.

g, but the 24" seems like the better fit, due to space concerns...

You don't need to fuss with things like that anyway even with the Dell! They will look good out the box, and then you can just use a site like tftcentral and work off their colour calibrations: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2415.htm

Then play around with it and/or your other displays to get them matching, you don't need to invest in more equipment aha

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

The U2415 and PA248Q are both factory color-calibrated.

Good to know. I didn't see that reference on the Dell information. But in thinking about it, i think i remember reading that all of the UltraSharp models are calibrated.

You don't need to fuss with things like that anyway even with the Dell! They will look good out the box, and then you can just use a site like tftcentral and work off their colour calibrations: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2415.htm

Then play around with it and/or your other displays to get them matching, you don't need to invest in more equipment aha

Nice, tft central has some good info. I've never seen that site before, i'll keep that on hand.

Thanks again for the info everyone, very much so appreciated. Hopefully the U2415 gets in stock at B&H soon, and I'll order one up! ... unless something better pops up between now and then. :)

Ordered the U2415, now the waiting game. Thanks again for the info! 

Ordered the U2415, now the waiting game. Thanks again for the info! 

Nice! Good luck, hope it arrives in perfect condition  :)