Beat the marketing department with this Bezel Thickness Calculator O Matic! (tm)

Niels_at_home

Now Featuring the Bezel Bullshit Database!  (with one entry at the time of posting..)

Heyho!

You see, marketing departments when talking about bezel thickness are usually telling lies. Marketing pictures, where the bezel seems to not exist, are showing lies. So you invest in expensive screens with a 6mm bezel only to find out they are in fact 11mm. That is almost a 200% lie! But we have spreadsheets, telling us the truth, even if spreadsheets are a bit boring.

Here should be the google sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17xPNnolUfN-C-MJ2aN2C8Y0791mLW9na7kFWIR9_sLw/edit#gid=500437571

It should be possible to add to the Bezel Bullshit Database as well.

Another, slightly geeky, victory from gamers over the marketing departments! Yay! :-)

It's important to keep in mind you will need the true diagonal measurement, which isn't always the precise advertised inch. For example, there are almost no 24.0" monitors. 95% of 24"-class monitors are 23.6", 23.8", or 24.1". Likewise, 99% of 22"-class monitors are 21.5".

It's important to keep in mind you will need the true diagonal measurement, which isn't always the precise advertised inch. For example, there are almost no 24.0" monitors. 95% of 24"-class monitors are 23.6", 23.8", or 24.1". Likewise, 99% of 22"-class monitors are 21.5".

Can you explain to me the point of the thread, I truly dont get it, not even being sarcastic...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Can you explain to me the point of the thread, I truly dont get it, not even being sarcastic...

Given the diagonal measurement of the display panel, and the width of the display casing, you can calculate how thick the bezels on the monitor are. This is useful because monitor bezel sizes are often difficult to judge from pictures, and sometimes companies will even photoshop their monitors in the official images to show a thinner bezel than in actuality.

Given the diagonal measurement of the display panel, and the width of the display casing, you can calculate how thick the bezels on the monitor are. This is useful because monitor bezel sizes are often difficult to judge from pictures, and sometimes companies will even photoshop their monitors in the official images to show a thinner bezel than in actuality.

I see now :P Makes a bit more sense, thx m8

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Good point, I didn't know that even there you get inaccurate specs sometimes!

Swndlr, when using 3 screens for gaming rigs, the bezel thickness is annoying, thinner is better. But the bezel thickness specs given by manufacturers are almost always ''optimistic''.. The spreadsheet quickly tells you how thick the bezels actually are, not what the marketing department tries to sell you. When using 1 screen it really doesn't matter that much of course.

My monitors, for the record:

Dell U2414H, 23.8" 1920x1080 display, advertised 6.05mm bezel and 539.1mm width. Display panel width would be 526.9mm, which leaves 6.1mm on each side for the bezel. So, this one seems to be accurate in advertisement.

Good point, I didn't know that even there you get inaccurate specs sometimes!

Swndlr, when using 3 screens for gaming rigs, the bezel thickness is annoying, thinner is better. But the bezel thickness specs given by manufacturers are almost always ''optimistic''.. The spreadsheet quickly tells you how thick the bezels actually are, not what the marketing department tries to sell you. When using 1 screen it really doesn't matter that much of course.

This is the display industry ;) where everything's made-up and the specs don't matter!

This is the display industry ;) where everything's made-up and the specs don't matter!

So true  :D  :lol:

This is how a lot of sites advertise my current monitor 

asus-mx239h-p_34634357f.jpg

This is how Asus advertise it:

P_500.jpg

It's actually even thinker than that by a little bit lol (mainly at the top) 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's